ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

WHINING AT 110MPH!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
  182 Trophy Cup
So basically at 110mph a loud whining fills the car, I can only describe it sounding like a recorder (Instrument), unsure if it's coming from the engine bay or through the fans or what! Slightly worrying..

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I quite often cruise in my car at 120ish over here, it's whisper quiet tbh.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Mine doesn't whine at 110mph. It does go a little light though.

Could it be an air leak from one of your window/screen seals?

Your car goes 110mph?

OP put some duct tape on all your door shuts and around your windscreen. See if that solves it

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
windscreen seal ive only had one of my 172s that's done it it was at 118mph exactly, no matter what the weather lol! but I had to get to the bottom of it asap drove me nuts on the way to work every morning, I feel your pain

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Our 182 did the same sort of noise at the same speed as that, went away when we changed the windscreen so must have been the seal on it I guess.

Quite distracting on track when you suddenly hear a noise that wasnt there just beforehand, and also annoying if cruising on the autobahn at that sort of speed.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I think Seb found the reason years and years ago. Windscreen seal.

Clio
Reminds me of a funny story.

Few years back a friend had a very old mini. Think it was made around '63 and a complete wreck but nonetheless it was his car, quite rare and delicate and he was very particular about it.

Anyway, one day he agreed to lend it to someone as their car was off the road. He gave them a long lecture about double de-clutching (Magic wand gearbox), not travelling above 45mph, not slamming the doors (Cable door handles), slowly round corners (Cross-plies), leaded petrol only etc..etc.

The car was returned after a week, with thanks. The guy then said "Oh, by the way, the gearbox makes a strange grinding noise at about 50mph, but it goes away when you reach 65mph.."

It was a wind up but I have never seen anyone go that particular shade of purple before and never seen anyone else run quite so fast!! Took him a week to calm down about it, too!

Status
Not open for further replies.