ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

which tyres are best?

clio sport 172
i have just bought a 172 which unfortunately needs 2 front tyres. currently it has yokohamas but not sure what to put on it. usually just use part worns for all my other old cars but decided this 1 needs treating properly. what would you guys reccomend? thanks

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Do a search, been covered plenty.

I would recommend pirelli pzero nero.

Other recommendations you will find will be michelin ps3s, hankook v12s.

clio sport 172
thankyou. done a search and now im just confused lol. everybody is different. was hoping a bunch of people would tell me the same tyre lol. i notice you havent recommended proxes t1r. is that cause you dont know what they are like or just wouldnt recommend them? thankyou.

I went from pirelli pzeros to toyos the pirellis are a different class imo feel much much better.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
thankyou. done a search and now im just confused lol. everybody is different. was hoping a bunch of people would tell me the same tyre lol. i notice you havent recommended proxes t1r. is that cause you dont know what they are like or just wouldnt recommend them? thankyou.

Personally think t1rs are shite. Good if you can't afford out high performance but better than a cheap budget.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
For a budget (ish) tyre, uniroyal rainsport2's are cracking.

My personal favourites are pzero nero's though.

WRX
Get the best you can afford. If you're driving Miss Daisy then budgets are fine, generally though the more they cost, the better they are. Personally think PZero, Conti Sportcontact or Michelin PS3

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
^ Good advice that

You have got yourself a decent handling hot hatch, don't put part worn/ditch finders on it mate. Just save until you can afford decent tyres (if your current ones have life in them obviously).

I used Conti sport contact 2 and Mich pe2 on my 172 and both very good tyres imo. You pay a bit more for them but they do last..

Only heard good things about Uniroyal rainsports (continental make them iirc).

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
I currently run Michelins, came from Pirellis.

Finding the Michelins over rated at the moment.

WRX
All depends where, when and how you drive Jake. IMO if you just want a pretty good tyre that will wear quite well and perform well enough on public roads then Avon ZV5s are very well priced. Even good enough for occassional track days. If you live in town and don't get over 40mph then just get cheapies.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Here's my opinions:

1. Toyo T1R's, good but they wear to quickly. Wet grip is not amazing. Economy is poor.
2. Pirelli PNero-Zero's, imo these are an average road tyre. Economy is ok but that about it. Bit of axle tramp when wet.
3. Hankook V12, got these on at the moment. Cant wait until they are worn so I can get them off. Wet grip is awful. yet to see what wear is like. Economy is about the same as the Pirelli's. I get axle tramp all the time with these on, wet or dry!
4. Uniroyal RainSport 2, haven't yet tried these as they were all out of stock due to high demand. Seems like a really good tyre from the reviews with excellent wet grip. Not suitable for track use though. As its a wet tyre, i'm going to assume the economy is poor.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
You really need 2 sets.
1, super sticky for fast road & track use (Mar-Oct).

SAM_0100.jpg

2, winter tyres (Nov-Feb/Mar) as nothing comes close to these in the wet or cold weather.

SAM_0363.jpg

Clio Sport 182 Cup
Hi, i've got a set of Continental SportContact 2 on the front and I must admit, I was surprised as they are good in dry and wet. I will look at getting those put on the rear when I get some pennies together and put some Pirelli P'Zero's on the front soon.

172 cup
Had pzeros on my ST didn't rate them so changed them for toyo t1r's which were alot better, just my opinion :)

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
what good Yokohama tyres are their for the 182? my dad has Yokohama on his vee and he said they are seriously impressive over the Michelins he had before :)

WRX
Well I've used Pzero nero, Contis and Avons on track and wouldn't hesitate to buy either again. If it's purely for track use then there are better dedicated tyres such as 888s and Sportcups etc but for me, I can't be bothered to buy another set of wheels and tyres to sit in my garage for 350 odd days a year. I'd rather just have a good set of all rounders on all the time.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
I am running Hankook V12 evo's at the minute, they seem superb, wet grip is very very good and dry grip aint bad either, I found I wore the edges out quite quickly and destroyed the front left on one track day. For the money I can't see anything much better tbh.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
what good Yokohama tyres are their for the 182? my dad has Yokohama on his vee and he said they are seriously impressive over the Michelins he had before :)

Yokohama AD08s. Not the cheapest though.

Not sure what the wear is like on a 182 though. A guy on here is getting good mileage out of them in his Clio 200.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Over rated.

Price-wise, perhaps. Performance-wise, no.

As a road tyre they are very, very good.

AD08s are brilliant. But they are not so great in the cold/wet (this is of course the case with all tyres, but as a speciality compund they suffer more). My MX-5 would switch ends at a moments notice in these conditions with them.

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member

AD08s are brilliant. But they are not so great in the cold/wet (this is of course the case with all tyres, but as a speciality compund they suffer more). My MX-5 would switch ends at a moments notice in these conditions with them.

ahh ok cheers aucky, something to keep in mind :)

Turbo 182 Alfa 159

Disagree personally.

Find the pzero neros much better than the ps3s so far. But they have only been on 1400 mile so maybe they will improve.

But so far, not majorly impressive.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Which speed rating do you have? And what pressures do you run?

Also, the compound isn't fantastic in cold 'greasy' conditions IMO, but show me an equal tyre that is.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Lol at average road tyre. Far far from it.

the 'imo' in my post means 'in my opinion', the OP can take it of leave it, its just my opinion of how I felt they performed on my car.

And I'm still laughing at axle tramp!!! - never knew the clio had leaf springs :S

I'm sorry, I thought that's what is was called as that's what its posted as all over the forums, glad you got some lols from it. Here's some of my sources...

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?51390-Banging!!!!&highlight=axel+tramp

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?491132-Does-your-wheel-bounce&highlight=axel+tramp

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?281713-is-this-normal&highlight=axel+tramp

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?370397-Axel-tramp&highlight=axel+tramp

172 Cup
I find the pzero nero better on my cup than the michelin ps3. I think that the michelins are overpriced for the grip that they offer.

The michelins lasted 4500 miles on the front and whilst good in a downpour, i didn't think they offered anything special in the dry and the compound seemed soft.

Strangely i found that T1r's lasted longer than the ps3. They were not quite as good in the dry, and did not inspire as much confidence in the wet, but they are quite cheap in 16's.

The only downside to the pzero seems to be that they like to squeal more readily than any other tyre i have run.

I would also choose conti sport contact 2 over the ps3.

I have a new set of pilot exalto 2 tyres to try next, it will be interesting to compare them with the newer ps3.