ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

When Headlight Restoration goes wrong...

A Few
Having seen all your photos of "sparkling headlights" from those using the 3M Kit, I purchased one! My OH offered to carry out the restoration work and is (usually) great at any DIY, basic mechanics etc.. Likes to have jobs to do!

A couple of weeks back, he tackled the Headlights following the guidance in the 3M kit. Halfway through, I had a little look at the passenger headlamp, and sure enough, it looked great, coming up like new. So I left my husband to happily carry on with the drivers side. Oh dear!! During the process this time, its appears things became overheated and a small area of the headlamp suffered melting (rippled/white/bumpy).

Whilst I was grateful my OH had tried his best, it didn't look great especially when the other headlamp was gleaming! I smiled sweetly, said thanks for having a go and asked tactfully if it could be improved. OH tried some sandpapers but didn't have much impact, so he purchased another 3M kit.

Today, he used the kit but unfortunately its looking worse. Whilst some of the bumpy melted area is less bumpy, the headlight is hazy because of scratchy swirling from the process and still has white melting. Looks awful compared to the other headlight. But he did try - and I'm still grateful!

SO HELP...is there anything left to try?? Any smart ideas/products that might save the headlamp?? Does anyone know how much a set of brand new Xenons currently cost from Renault and part numbers please (172 black inserts) I'm thinking this could be a very costly mistake!

A Few
would just be worried it would arrive through the post damaged/broken clips. I know these do not do well in the postal system!

Phase 1 172, boxster
Any pics of the headlight, I've had headlights in at work with great gauge like scratches that have flatted down going through the grades of sandpaper and polished up nicely

A Few
how do you stop swirly scratches during the process... its like you can see exactly where the sandpaper was spinning using the drill...

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
You have to take back the top layer, then work your way back through the grades..

I did 800-1000-1200-1500 wet n dry I think, then buffed with my das6.. If it wasn't good enough you need to work back again from..

Not sure about the kit, I keep the paper in the garage normally..

If in doubt, do it the proper way.. Blag a buffer but keep him away!! Gently gently..

Phase 1 172, boxster
As above really, needs to keep the polisher moving, sounds like he's kept it in one place for too long which has caused the melting

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
ok.. Thanks.. will get some more appropriate grades of wet n dry and start again. Might have a go myself!

It sucks but you have to be methodical and give each grade a decent amount of time and sand evenly... I cleaned then off and tried to get than even scratch look before moving on.. .. I'd guess a few minutes for the harsh grades, double it for the fine.

I'm totally overthinking it, I just do whatever I feel like, buff it and go..

A Few
I've got two, in Suffolk. They need a polish though. Would sell for £50 and could meet somewhere?
Hi DannyR - over the weekend, I am going to try and see if I can do anything with the headlamp. If no success, I will message you about the headlamps. Thanks - much appreciated!

how do you stop swirly scratches during the process... its like you can see exactly where the sandpaper was spinning using the drill...
Sandpaper in the drill? No!
You need to wet sand with each grade by hand, ensuring you remove all the scratches from the previous stage each time so thatwhen you're done you're left with a frosted finish which is even and the scratches left are small enough to be removed by the polish alone.

A Few
Sandpaper in the drill? No!
You need to wet sand with each grade by hand, ensuring you remove all the scratches from the previous stage each time so thatwhen you're done you're left with a frosted finish which is even and the scratches left are small enough to be removed by the polish alone.

It was all used as recommended in the instructions on the 3M kit...with water when recommended etc.. And it worked for one lamp! Since posting this, I found another thread where 3M kit went wrong. Most people commenting said the grade of paper within the kit was to harsh. Wish I had of read that first! Never mind. Will rectify the situation somehow, whether that be hard work or new light unit...

Never used the 3m kit, I just sourced the sandpaper myself and had the cutting compound and polish anyway, but theres no chance I'd be attaching a plastic headlight lense with sandpaper on any power tool, theyre just too soft and any heat softens them. proceed with caution on the next one and you'll be fine

A Few
Ok.. I've used everyone's hints and tips on how to try a save the headlamp - Thanks Guys. It's much better, not perfect and obviously the small melted area is always going to show (as Daniel said, new headlamp needed). It's a vast improvement on how it looked yesterday but you can see the passenger side lamp is clearer. I will live with it for now, as the plan is a full respray in a year or so and will sort it properly at that time. Thanks again everyone. Heres a couple of pics...
5b214967-eb73-4100-a816-0ee426d6f8ea_zps4g992g40.gif

Not as good as the passenger lamp sadly!

lamps20_zpsmbwqjoq7.gif

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Get some 1500 / 2500 grit paper.

Wet it. Rub rub rub.. By hand. Put the power tools away.. Good grief.

Wash off.. Go finer. Repeat.

Use machine polisher to finish the job.

It's so easy... Half hour per side maximum.

If you're anywhere near Basildon, more than welcome buzz past and I'll do it for you.

A Few
That's pretty much what I've tried today.... and you should of seen it before! Will give them more attention another time - fed up with them for now.

A Few
now you tell me!! lol :wink: I'm hoping for a brand new set at somepoint, when I've saved enough for the respray and new bits and pieces. Can't come soon enough, especially after this school boy error!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
If it's any consolation - I've used the 3M twice and couldn't get on with it. Trying to use a drill on a heavily curved surface takes a lot of skill and patience - neither of which I have for doing the headlights!

I used various sandpapers (with the grit ratings according to the 3M guide) - and had far more success.

A Few
Thanks Darren S.....nice to know I'm not the only one! I will not use a 3M kit again and will stick to the various grades of paper!

Once you start doing them you'll always need to repeat the process. They never last.
Well you say that, I did my dads several years ago & sealed them with some Autoglym sealer. They lasted really well but I did them again last year & sealed them with CQuartz stuff that I sealed my alloys with. They still look new.
I do them manually with wet & dry, never bought the 3M kit etc.