ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wheel bearing

Are there any visible signs of a wheel bearing gone or on its way out?

I had the rear(s) replaced about this time last year and it appears the NSR is on its way out... again. Grrr!

So apart from the what can only be described as a whirring/grinding noise, which is similar to the noise I experienced last year, are there any visible signs that can confirm my assumptions?

Clio Sport 172
im not an expert but i would say who ever fitted them last year didn't press them properly...... they should last longer then 1 year providing your on standard wheels...... as for spottind it i dont thing you will have play in your wheels but jack the car up they will be stiff to turn and not smooth, like i said im not an expert thats just my experience.

2003 Clio Sport 172
I've taken mine to a family friend today as for 2 months it's been sounding like I'm driving a plane? Took it today and there is play in both rear wheels, jacked up and turned them and there is a rubbing sound! Because the car as ESP the whole hub has to be replaced (£80 each side for the part) and £40 labour which is ok!
Bearings should last - they say that it's good to replace at 30k I've managed to get to 68k!
Hope you get it sorted x

As I said, I've had them for about a year and in that time, I've done two or three track days as well as a trip to the 'Ring. I have covered approx. 15k miles too. Hmmm. I had a friend do them last year for some small cash, so that is maybe where it went wrong. I'll try and speak to them tonight as I'm pretty sure I still have the receipt for the parts... if that helps.

182cup & 172 racecar
Jack it up,then grab the wheel top and bottom and try to wiggle it,you should feel some play if its gone.

Or like this if its really bad.
[video]http://youtu.be/ZS2u8CnNRQ0[/video]

Clio Sport 172
hmmm if a mate did it cheap he probably hit the bearings in with a hammer not a propper pressing machine.... most garages will charge 20 quid just to press the bearings alone never mind touching the car.....