ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

wheel bearing gone- how long can I drive it?

Alfa 147 GTA
Hi,

My wheel bearing is making a sound, and is getting slowly worse. Earliest time I can get it into the garage is next wednesday. I've probably done around 40 miles with it making a noise already, how long can I drive it for like this? If I drive it too long can I cause any serious damage?

Cheers

www.renparts.co.uk
depends how loud it is? should be alright.... people drive with them for months... just dont boot it especially round corners..

clio rsi and r5 gtx
Get it changed asap or the bearing will jam itself in the hub and then its new hub time i had this with my R5. Easy job to do yourself just take the hub assembly off buy a bearing and get a garage to press out the old and press in a new bearing should cost £10 for the pressing in and out. If you need any help with this let me know and i will do my best to help. Or if its a rear bearing they are even easier.

Alfa 147 GTA
cheers for quick replies! The noise isnt too loud yet and I need other stuff doing to it at the garage or I would just do it myself. I'm only going to do about another 30 miles or so before Wednesday, just drive like a granny till then I guess.

Facelift R53 Cooper S
my old fiesta 1.25 had a fooked wheel bearing for months and i drove it everyday!!!

made some wild noises though, you could hear it outside the car lmao

www.renparts.co.uk
easier and cheaper if you can just remove the hub and get a genuine bearing. any garage with a hydraulic press will press the old one out and press the new one in for less than 10 quid...

RB 182 & Lotus Evora
its the drive flange you need to worry about. The bit that goes through the hub and wheel bearing. The bearing usually eats into this if worn and when putting a new bearing on a worn drive flange youll just break the damage the new bearing. Get it changed ASAP to save money in the long wrong.

Also bare in mind the above knowledge was leanred from my own experiece on another car.

Sy

Pajero 3.8 V6
Mine is in today for "at least one" to be changed. Been wurring for a bit now.

Sy

Last edited:
  Trophy #473
one of my rears has gone, been 2 months now, it gradualy got really, and i mean really loud, but has now quietened down, got new bearings/disks to put on just havnt had time, driven it normaly and even had some spirited runs and its been fine so far.

EK4 SIR CIVIC 185 BHP
same, its annoying aint it lol i just turn the music off so i cant hear it .. whats the noise difference to the drive shaft and wheel bearings? cause it used to be when i turn only but now its when i accel fast too

Trophy #473
wheel bearings will hum when you put load on them, when they get worse they will hum under road speed too, so the faster you go the more then hum.

Sy

Pajero 3.8 V6
I had mine sorted today. Wow, I hadn't realised how noisy it had been lol.

Sy