ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What's better, plasma tvs or lcd?

Evo 6, E92 320d
There is no 'better' just your preference. Go into a comet or currys and look at them lined up, see if they can wire a dvd directly to it(get rid of all splitter boxes) and go for the 1 with best picture.

But Revels is right, Plasma seem to be thh choice for larger sizes.

Clio 197 RB
Plasma in my opinion mate, I’ve just brought a Panasonic TH42-PX70 amazing set. LCD can’t reproduce a good black due to being lit using a backlight, always comes out a gray colour. :approve:

DSC00378.gif

Plus it looks really good on the wall, sorry about the pic rubbish camera phone.

Last edited:

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
Hmmm i do prefer panasonic over sony and you are right about the back light

SLK 350
Rubbish, LCD's can do blacks perfectly well...depends how well your TV is calibrated, and how much you plan to spend.

People seem to enjoy rubbishing a technology based on something they've seen in a supermarket, or read 2 years ago in a magazine.

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
Rubbish, LCD's can do blacks perfectly well...depends how well your TV is calibrated, and how much you plan to spend.

People seem to enjoy rubbishing a technology based on something they've seen in a supermarket, or read 2 years ago in a magazine.

Which one do you prefer than out of the above?

£700 max is my budget.

A4 Avant
Heres my 42" panasonic plasma. IMO from the numerous LCD's I've seen below 32" i'd be looking LCD above that and I'd buy a well setup plasma everytime!

IMG_9161.jpg

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
There is no 'better' just your preference. Go into a comet or currys and look at them lined up, see if they can wire a dvd directly to it(get rid of all splitter boxes) and go for the 1 with best picture.

But Revels is right, Plasma seem to be thh choice for larger sizes.

This is 'not' what to do :mad:

In a bright environment LCD will look better but in your home plasma will piss all over them.

Asda are doing panasonic plasma cheap, but i would buy from JL to get the warranty;)

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
panasonic vieri for me in 42inches better than LCD in that sizeanything less than its samsung/sharp LCD, i got mine from epiredirect and got free 5 year warranty, when it settles in there quality

Leon Cupra R 225
we've got a 40" sony lcd at home and it's been spot on

but saying that, the plasma's can be very good too, it really is never a simple yes this is better than that argument with tv's at the mo.

I'd go for the panasonic though

Plasma have better "Black" but LCD's have better Resolution for the price.

you can get 1920 x 1080 LCD's with 1080p for just over £1.3k, the same in Plasma will set you back £4k.....unless someone knows different?

I am looking for a new TV, but want 1920x1080 res min, to make full use of 1080p HD :)

can any one point me in the right direction lol ;)

Simon

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Plasma in my opinion mate, I’ve just brought a Panasonic TH42-PX70 amazing set. LCD can’t reproduce a good black due to being lit using a backlight, always comes out a gray colour. :approve:

DSC00378.gif

Plus it looks really good on the wall, sorry about the pic rubbish camera phone.

Got the exact same one.. Its nothing short of perfect ! very happy with it !

Lee

BMW M2C

DSC00378.gif

Got the exact same one.. Its nothing short of perfect ! very happy with it !

Same here. The reason lots of people have that set is because it's one of the best plasmas for the money. Even more so since it's dropped in price loads since I bought mine.

I've got the 42" plasma and a 26" Samsung LCD and in every area other than gaming the Plasma wins hands down. Some games look better on the LCD, but none seem to have the same depth as on the plasma.

Standard def TV looks terrible on an LCD compared to a plasma. HD looks good, but still not anywhere near as impressive as on the plasma.

Downsides, plasma screens use more electricity and kick out a fair amount of heat. If you play a game with a static hood for 4 hours plus you get a temporary burn on the screen but that goes within ten minutes of watching something else, and it's only noticable on a solid coloured background, like the sky pages.

House_34.jpg

The sticker is removed now, that was the day I got it. lol

Lee

BMW M2C
I need to get me a HDTV before Halo3

I've just spoken to my account manager at MS. They've got them now, so he's trying to get me a freebie. I won't be seeing it before it's street date though as MS would rip him a new one if he did that. He's getting a free World in Conflict skateboard out of it. lol

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I need to get me a HDTV before Halo3

I've just spoken to my account manager at MS. They've got them now, so he's trying to get me a freebie. I won't be seeing it before it's street date though as MS would rip him a new one if he did that. He's getting a free World in Conflict skateboard out of it. lol

lol.

Have you read that all the retailers in the US have read statements to their employees basically stating,

If they open the Halo3 crates before midnight of launch, they'll get fired automatically!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Lee have you used those Samsung LCDs that Mircrosoft said were "the best TVs to play XBox on??"

I'm not at work and bored, might go and get me some HD..

Megane DCi 147bhp/350nwm
plasma. lcd is smaller form tvs 32" or less

plasma in 32"+

watch a football game on a hd lcd tv 32"+ and you seen psychical gfx tear where the tv can't keep up with the movement

Lee

BMW M2C
Lee have you used those Samsung LCDs that Mircrosoft said were "the best TVs to play XBox on??"

We've got loads of them here, but recently started using Sony 20" widescreen ones as most the guys prefer them. The Samsungs were suggested as the best for colour balancing. I've never had a problem with them. I've got one in the bedroom at home, and that used to have my 360 on it. Sometimes it was hard to balance out the brightness and contrast though. On PGR3 shadows were too dark, but to get them right the dials were too bright! It was an early 360 title though.

BMW M4; S1000 RR

We've got loads of them here, but recently started using Sony 20" widescreen ones as most the guys prefer them. The Samsungs were suggested as the best for colour balancing. I've never had a problem with them. I've got one in the bedroom at home, and that used to have my 360 on it. Sometimes it was hard to balance out the brightness and contrast though. On PGR3 shadows were too dark, but to get them right the dials were too bright! It was an early 360 title though.

I might end up getting one of those I think, I don't watch much TV, play XBox 80% of the time the TV is on. But 42" is nice:eek:

Lee

BMW M2C
One of the main reasons I went plasma was because it was the main set for the lounge. If it was mainly for gaming as my 26" was then I'd more likely have gone for another LCD.

SD TV looks terrible on an LCD.

VaVa
It depends on the source.

Sometimes SD TV looks fantastic on my LCD... other times it looks like a pirate broadcast or something. lol. Some channels seem to have a larger bandwidth than the others and look better.

If I had my time again I'd probably get Plasma, but my 37" Tosh LCD is still pretty good. My Xbox 360 looks amazing on it.

And don't believe the hype - Blacks aren't grey on a decent LCD.

But I agree with the general rule - 32" and above, get a plasma.

Golf gti ed30+bmw m3
plasma. lcd is smaller form tvs 32" or less

plasma in 32"+

watch a football game on a hd lcd tv 32"+ and you seen psychical gfx tear where the tv can't keep up with the movement

mines quite the opposite, i have a 40 inch sony bravia lcd and its amazing and i also have a 42 inch panasonic plasma which has terrible ghosting etc when playing fifa, out of the two i'd say my lcd is far superior in ever respect

my plasma is pissing me right off at the moment, suffering from really bad screen burn where the still images on a station such as the logo's burn green onto the screen and i cant get rid of them no matter what. running a blank screen for a hour or so gets rid of it for like 1 hour but then its back again. really gets to me but i've had the plasme for like 3 years so think its just age. anyone help on this btw?

Lee

BMW M2C
my plasma is pissing me right off at the moment, suffering from really bad screen burn where the still images on a station such as the logo's burn green onto the screen and i cant get rid of them no matter what. running a blank screen for a hour or so gets rid of it for like 1 hour but then its back again. really gets to me but i've had the plasme for like 3 years so think its just age. anyone help on this btw?

Sounds familiar. We've got a Panasonic 6 series in the boardroom at work. That cost around £2.5 when I bought it. People never switch it off so I'm amazed it even works still. A few years back the boss left a copy of Brian Lara Cricket on the PS2 on the menus for an entire weekend......that screen is burnt forever.

Modern plasma screens don't suffer from that so easily. Playing Bioshock for 4 hours leaves a slight burn, but that goes within 10 minutes of watching or playing something else.

Street Triple R
John Lewis at Bluewater were selling a 50" plasma for £799 last weekend, the only reason I didnt buy it is because it would completely dwarf my front room

Im looking for a 40" max really, Ive always like the look of the Samsung range, their 1080p model is about £1150 iirc

Also dont Plasma's use a massive amount more power?

Lee

BMW M2C
John Lewis at Bluewater were selling a 50" plasma for £799 last weekend, the only reason I didnt buy it is because it would completely dwarf my front room

Im looking for a 40" max really, Ive always like the look of the Samsung range, their 1080p model is about £1150 iirc

Not massive amounts, but yeah they do use more. They don't half give off some heat too.

Clio200 EDC Lux
Yep I have the panasonic plasma as well great bit of kit, also bought the surrond sound system the other week the matches the design of the tv.

Street Triple R

Not massive amounts, but yeah they do use more. They don't half give off some heat too.

Did notice that! could save money on my heating bill with a 50" plasma

Street Triple R
Thought id dig this thread back up....basically im TV hunting this weekend, its a pretty simple choice between a 40" LCD or a 50" Plasma, as they are roughly the same price (the 2 Samsung models im looking at anyway)

Is there any reason I should not go for the Plasma?? being more or less the same price and 10" bigger surely its a no brainer?

dk

911 GTS Cab
lol, took me ages to work out this was an old thread, when I was reading about a 1080p tv costing £1300!

I have never been a plasma fan, its always been overshadowed by LCD IMO. I hate the idea of screen burn as it can happen so easily,I would never shy away from LCD myself, the technology has come such a long way now and the prices have dropped like a rock.

I have a 40" LCD and the only trouble to me is that Plasma does far better blacks, LCD blacks seem more grey to me and not as good, a bit of a problem if you like dark films like me lol.....

I'm really not sure whether to go for Plasma next time round?

Simon

In my bedroom I have a Sony 26" LCD and downstairs I've got a Phillips 32" LCD and I gotta say there so much bass comes from the one downstairs off the Phillips, but there is a little sub on the back of it.

I think I'd always get a LCD screen now.