ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What parts for a suspension refresh of a 172 cup?

ex-Chinese Dave

ClioSport Club Member
As per title what is needed to refresh but keep it factory spec for road use only?

So far i'm guessing these :

Steering rack ends
Track rod ends
Wish bones (I read that these are NLA from Renault so re-bush the ones I have or is there a decent pattern part?)
Top mounts (now there's a surprise!)
Front shocks
Rear shocks
Geometry set up (Blink Motorsport has gone so where in the North West is good?)
Decent tyres (this can wait a while)

Is there anything else? Engine mounts seem ok. Is there anything on the subframe to change? I'm trying not to spend a lot of money on the car but i'd want it to feel fresh for the road. Not interested in poly-bushing.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
No OEM springs sadly, but as you’ve sad; Eibach Pro_kit are the way to go.

OSF Wishbones no longer available but you can still get NSF. I’d do that and refurb the OSF and replace the bushes.

I have a list of 182 parts which many will fit yours, but it also lists OEM alternatives which might help if you can’t get directly from Renault. I can send that over. My RB thread also had a huge list of what I did to it. Cost me a fortune but most parts on mine had been replaced with cheap aftermarket bits, so I had no choice. Try and salvage what you can and replace with new what you absolutely must.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Worth doing the steering rack bushes whilst in the area assuming its on oem rack. I have powerflex ones on mine, no idea if oem still available.

Id say you have the rest covered ok though. Itll drive loads better with fresh suspension and steering parts on.

ex-Chinese Dave

ClioSport Club Member
I fancy changing the wishbones myself (and maybe some other bits). I know that one of the wishbones is no longer available so which make of parts which aren’t Renault are best to use?

I’ll keep my old wishbones and probably get them rebushed.

ex-Chinese Dave

ClioSport Club Member
How difficult is it to remove and replace the bushes? Do you need a press or is there any way to use the weight of the car (bear with me) to be lowered onto the bush to push it into the hole?

Ok. I’m guessing it’s a press.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Its a pretty horrible job to do the bushes.

I usually remove them with fire and a hacksaw. Large vice will usually do to fit the new ones if you dont have a press.

Press is a better option though loads easier.