ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What you use to polish the car.

106 GTi

I dry mine with a Pakshak Waffle weave drying towel, its like the Meguiars one but about twice the size.

I find fake chamios ok though, the autoglym one aint to bad, not as paint freindly as a mf drying towel.

I wouldnt polish over the stripes with any abrassive polish just in case, but any carnuba wax will be okay on them.

Quote: Originally posted by AliasOmega on 02 January 2005

Where from.? How much, prices would be ideal on these things, still reading the thread, their are so many, i was worried about using polish on the stripes, incase they blister and peel off the car..

Any stripe friendly polish.?
If you are really into car detailing then a pc is the only option but these are pricy and need to be imported (110v) and then atransformer is needed from screw fix direct. However any random orbital buffer will still produce ace results. Megs do a cordless battery one for 100 quid, however you can get exactly the same one just different brand for 30 quid, however megs model comes with spare battery and good qaulity polishing pads. ]

My advice would be too buy the cosmos one (as I have) and buy soem pads from megs that wont feck up the paintwork. Links below

http://www.motor-world.co.uk/kroozin/show_prod.php?prod_id=4120http://www.motor-world.co.uk/kroozin/show_prod.php?prod_id=4120 - cosmos polisher

http://shop.meguiars.co.uk/cgi-bin/specwd.pl?pc=W8006&tp=0http://shop.meguiars.co.uk/cgi-bin/specwd.pl?pc=W8006&tp=0 - pads

@r-jay-cup , ive just ordered a new fabia vrs in silver, what products would you recommend I use? I have a load of Meguiers products at the mo including NXT wax, 3 stage system, quick detailer etc

106 GTi

As its new it shoudlnt need much of a polish.

Id recommend a coat of super resin Polish, a couple of coats of NXT to get a total coverage and top with some carnuba wax, the Megs stage 3 will do fine, but if you can stretch to a tub of P21s it will give it a great look.

Remapped derv Golf

Ive just won a running up prize in a compo. Massive bottle of Autoglym Super Resin - which ive stopped using :cry:

But last night (at car park in work) I couldnt be bothered to do the 3 step Megiuars so I used Super Resin and #16 which seemed to give a pretty good result it a quick time.

Ive noticed the NXT + #16 doesnt make a difference but the Autoglym and the #16 did pretty well.

I find the 3 step system to be annoying in the cold weather - steps 1 and 2 dont seem to cure very well.

Ive noticed the NXT + #16 doesnt make a difference but the Autoglym and the #16 did pretty well.

Same here, on a cup right? It does help bead the water a tad better though imo!

Same here, I believe NXT on its own looks better than topping with #16, could try another carnuba wax though!

Personally am not a fan of super resin polish as its designed as an all in one and peeps use it like a wax when in fact it has very mild cutting properties.

Quote: Originally posted by AliasOmega on 02 January 2005

I get home today, to find that my little brother has washed me car with a new yellow duster.?

Anyone see a problem with one of these apart from having yellow duster remains on me car, what the chance of this scratching it.?

Pray your little brother never finds the brillo pads

Remapped derv Golf

Very very mild though. Only really cleans off the muck like a clay bar - only not as much.

I think if you use autoglym enough its ok. I used S/R and ultra gloss on my VTR for 3.5 years (S/R at least once every 2 weeks) and the finish was stunning when I sold it. Havent got the time to clean a car like i used to.

Not sure how long it all last though:oops: Paint will proberbly fade in a years time.

I reckon the protection properties of autoglym are very low. Seems to stop beeding after a few weeks. #16 seems to last for months! even in london (acid rain and diesel fumes)

[Edited by Adamf on 05 January 2005 at 9:55pm]

Which super resin polish (autoglym?), 2 x coats of NXT wax then stage 3 to finish or P21-S
Concours Look Carnauba Paste Wax?

106 GTi

Autoglym is a good mild polish you may skip that stage if you think it doesnt need it.

Yeah P21-S Concours Look Carnauba Paste Wax, it looks really good on silver and light metallics.