ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which polisher would you recommend?

ex-Chinese Dave

ClioSport Club Member
My 172 Cup is in need of a damn good machine polish after I washed it and tried to get the roof decent. Spoiler alert: I couldn't! The rest of the car also needs doing, so after it's had its belts and service and bits the paintwork will be tackled. I'm not one for polishing my car every week but it certainly needs a big hit to get it looking better. Have a look at the photo I posted here...that is after I used a paint restorer and polish. It looks sh1te!
IMG_8970.jpeg

Firstly, would it be better to let a pro have a go and if so what do they charge?

Secondly, if I do it myself is this Halfords polisher any good? Like I said, I won't be polishing every week so it won't get much use.

And lastly, on the Cups what is the risk of going through the lacquer when trying to remove the scratches? There looks like a spot on the roof that has lacquer damage so a little concerned about that.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Pro proper job you're probably looking at £600+ tbh looks fairly marked up so will probably need a good polish. Lots of good polishers out there.

I personally just use my pxe80 with carpro essence and lake country orange pads which could be worth a try it'll certainly make it look better and I've been pretty amazed by the results for such a simple combo. You'd probably want a proper polisher though if you want to go at the whole car in 1 hit.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
As long as you use a DA and not a rotary, you’ll be fine.

Buy some Angelwax Resurrect, a cheap DA polisher and some microfibre pads and you’ll be loving life I promise you.

That Halfords polisher is a pile of poo, don’t waste your money.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Try and get something half decent mate, if I had a spare I would send it over but sadly I'm all out.

Das pro or similar

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
You don’t need to spend loads but cheaper ones will need a lighter touch to stop stalling and you’ll need more patience. I used an Argos one for a while and it did a reasonable job, just took twice as long as a decent one.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
@ex-Chinese Dave would a used one of these be any good mate?

ex-Chinese Dave

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry, just seen this message. Are you selling this? Do you think it’s suitable for what I need? What price would you want?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Sorry, just seen this message. Are you selling this? Do you think it’s suitable for what I need? What price would you want?
Where abouts are you?? You’re more than welcome to borrow all my machines for a weekend if you don’t want to buy one.

Reactions: MLB

ex-Chinese Dave

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for the offer. I'm in Manchester.

I'll get the mechanical things sorted first as there's going to be a big bill coming for that.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
I'll likely have a non branded DA for sale in the coming weeks.. going to be going through the Father in law's shed and getting rid of things for the MIL and I know he has one which I won't need as I already have one.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
What make is it. Which you probably won't know yet lol.

Let me know

Last edited: