ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What would you have? 8gb Touch or 80gb Classic

Ex-172 owner. Now a Mini!
What would you have? I'm looking at getting either an 8gb Touch or 80gb Classic ipod. If you had the choice which would you go for and why? I fancy the touch becuase of the way it works but can't help but think that the classic would be better due to the capacity.

Anyone with any advice?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
If i wanted to listen to music the classic.

The touch isnt really a proper ipod.

I would want it primarily for music but also for an odd movie. I have read a few reviews saying to jsut get an iphone instead of a touch? When not on the move it will be in a docking station at home.

Citroen DS3 DSport
The entire iPod range is due an update next week so I would expect revisions to the look of them all including the Touch. The keynote speech is next Tuesday and they are usually available in the shops within 7 days or less.

Citroen DS3 DSport
I think the event will mainly focus on iPod's and Mac's. I'd be surprised if they launch a new iPhone so soon after the launch of the 3G version.

Citroen DS3 DSport
Having only just completed the full launch of the iPhone 3G to all planned territories within the last 2 weeks I would not think launching a new iPhone product would be a great move unless it is a hugely stripped down version.

You never can tell with Apple though so I look forward to next Tuesday.

Suzuki Ignis Sport
I went from a 8gb touch to a 80gb classic.

Touch was a novelty... then it started to wear off. And 8gb was not enough for my ever extending itunes library... so bought an 80gb classic.

Fiat Panda 100hp
Touch is cool... and I didn't fancy paying the crazy prices for the iphone at the time of buying.

I use the remote on my touch more than anything, being able to control itunes from anywhere withing range of my wifi is too cool.

Good mp3 and video player too. If your not going to be sticking silly amounts of music on it then get a touch. I have over 200gb of music on my PC, but around 15gb in play list on my touch and around 40gb in itunes. So the touch is just right for me. Depends what your going to be using it for.

As for the new ipod range, looking @ the blog of Kevin Rose, there redesigning the whole lot and also bringing out the new itunes, which is going to be much better, and will be more like last.fm (for people that use it) allowing profiles and friends withing the itunes store and being able to share playlist etc. Will be much better.

There not being out a new iphone as far as I'm aware, the reasoning for the new ipod range is to separate them from the iphone, theirs going to be a huge price drop in ipods too, just like the iphone 3g. this is to separate the ipod and the iphone, as currently people are choosing the iphone over a ipod as it seems to make better sense money wise, which makes sense.

So cheaper touch's and classics FTW.

Picture of the new Nano.

2825013744_b1e8337e98.png

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
excellent knowledge, shame cause i face an ihpone2/nano thing. bit bored of my 2g...3g doesn't bring much new to the table either not for an 18 month contract. guess we'll see.

Citroen DS3 DSport
The prices of the iPod's should definitely fall if internet rumour is correct. iTunes 8 also looks like a good improvement.

Freetrack&Monaco 172
I've got both......

I've got the 80Gb Classic for most of my music collection....mainly for leaving in my glovebox connected to my Alpine IDA-X001 media head unit in the Cup....full music collection on tap whilst driving.....although pre-setup playlists are a must. Stiff suspension in the cup makes selecting navigating music folders interesting at the best of times.

Then the 8Gb touch was bought mainly for the wi-fi capacity in such a small piece of hardware and quick 'boot' from standby, as I do lots of travelling with work, and cant be asked to drag out my laptop out in airport lounges......especially if none of them are free! Has a small collection of my more select favorite tunes on. 'Remote' software is very good in my opinion too.......and had 3 seasons of family guy on there.......much nicer to watch on the bigger screen......also the touch is compatible with my head unit too! The email client has only worked for me since the 2.0 update......but is fine now. Could do with another conectivity medium....i.e. bluetooth like the phone, or a dongle to plug an RJ45 into for wired internet connection.

I guess the one you want depends on the requirements you have.....I carry both whilst travelling as personal preference:

80Gb Classic - Music (Large storage capabilities)
8Gb Touch - Video, Wi-fi, and Portable photo album (Not so large storage capabilities)

If it's just new software updates then I may as well go get one then... although I have been reading about the second generation Touch's. No idea when they'll be out though?

Last edited:
  Citroen DS3 DSport
The revised Touch should be announced today alongside the rest of the iPod range. See the Apple live event thread for more details.