ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What would you do? (Non sport content)

Mazda 3 MPS
Hi guys. I'm in the market for a Clio III 1.6/2.0 (non-sport) and was wondering which version you'd personally get?

a) Dynamique S 3-door.

b) Initiale 5-door.

I ask, because the 3 door looks great but doesn't come with as much equipment as the Initiale. But I think the 5 door looks weird/ugly.

So would you go for good looks or toys?

Cheers.

DCi 100
Isn't the dynamique the top spec of the non sports?

These's are specific cars your looking at yeah?

Just think what you want it for, having a cool car as a young lad or for family stuff etc.

Mazda 3 MPS
Well, put it this way. I'm 20. I have no kids, and I rarely have more than 2/3 people in the car.

The Dynamique S is the top of the range for 3 doors, the Initiale is the top of the range for the 5's.

The Initiale comes with leather and auto climate, cruise control etc etc. It also has a beige interior.

The Dynamique S comes with cloth, standard ac, and sometimes cruise control, but looks better.

Mazda 3 MPS
I like the leather, just not sure on the beige lol.

Just out of interest, what are the options for lowering the clio without compromising too much ride comfort (something i'm looking forward to compared to my punto lol)?

DCi 100
I'd take the 3 door,

Will most likely looked like you've nabbed your mums car with the 5; then if you choose to modify it it'll be better of with 3.

Mazda 3 MPS
I've noticed the 1.4 seems to cost a lot less than the 1.6/2.0. This may change by the time I actually come to buy, but do you think the 1.4 will be too slow for me? I want something that's fairly nippy.

Bux

Golf GTD
I'd take the 3 door,

Will most likely looked like you've nabbed your mums car with the 5; then if you choose to modify it it'll be better of with 3.

Id go for the 3 door anyday. I agree with what you're saying. I buy a car for myself, and i dont need 5 doors :)

Arctic 182 + yozza
I've noticed the 1.4 seems to cost a lot less than the 1.6/2.0. This may change by the time I actually come to buy, but do you think the 1.4 will be too slow for me? I want something that's fairly nippy.

hello mate!

my ex used to drive a 1.4 clio, it went pretty well. basically sporting pace. would be a nice upgrade from your 8v but i'd go for the 1.6 personally!

Stagecoach Ticket
Sorry to put a downer on things mate but IMO non sport clio's are over priced and not as good as many other hatchs out there.

what are your reasons for wanting a non sport clio if you dnt mind me asking?

J

Mazda 3 MPS
Because I can't justify the insurance on a RS. Not for a couple more years. I vary rarely drive fast.

I just want something that is quiet and comfortable (reviews say clios are pretty good at that) and feels comfortable at overtaking (my punto makes me crap my pants whenever I try to overtake) with a few toys.

I'm going for either this or a Grande Punto 1.4 Turbo, which is faster than pretty much all non sport clios, but I don't know whether it's worse/better at comfort. Plus I prefer the interior of the clio.

Stagecoach Ticket
Ah i see maybe a 1.6 3dr D is what your after then

If not maybe look at the C2 vts Much lower insurance than a clio sport comfy and quite funky interior think it is around 120bhp and there not to slow (Insurance group 8)
Fiesta ST alot toys like leather etc good looks cheap (Insurance group 13 i think dnt quote me)

J

Mazda 3 MPS
Don't like the look of the Citroen although i admit it would be a good buy.

The fiesta st looks a little too chavvy for my likings, plus it is noisy on the motorway because it does 3.5k+ plus revs at 70mph. But another good car.

I've pretty much narrowed it down the the Clio III or Grande Turbo. The reason I swayed more towards the clio is because I really want the abarth version of the grande lol, but can't afford it as it is twice the price.

Stagecoach Ticket
what do u get different on the abarth wheels and trim?

If so just get some simlar alloys to the abarth 9/10 people would know the difference anyway lol
if your planning on some mods and keeping it a few years i would sway towards the punto i tihnk you would get very bored of the clio

J

Mini Cooper S
Cripple - how much you got to spend?

The MK3 Clio is a million miles ahead of the Punto in terms of comfort and quality. Dynamique S is the only way to go!

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
You might be better with a diesel. Not necessarily a Clio, are you looking new or used? Because you can pick up a used mk5 golf tdi with low mileage for pretty good amounts now and I think it would suit you from the sounds of things! Or maybe a used focus, the diesels are fairly quick still, depending on which spec u go for.

Arctic 182 + yozza
what do u get different on the abarth wheels and trim?

If so just get some simlar alloys to the abarth 9/10 people would know the difference anyway lol
if your planning on some mods and keeping it a few years i would sway towards the punto i tihnk you would get very bored of the clio

J

bigger turbo and 'stuff' lol think it's like another 30bhp and another 60bhp for the abart esseesse version

Mazda 3 MPS
You get bigger injectors, a bigger turbo, more equipment, better seats, better trim etc. Much more tuneable.

I'm looking used probably £4.5k plus whatever I get for my car (Prolly about £2k). A diesel would be silly as my trip to work is 3 miles. Used obviously.

Black Clio GT
forget about the 1.2, wont be any quicker than what you have now.
the earlyer 1.4 16v has 100hp and is resonably brisk for what it is.
the engine that replaced it in the later clio 3 models is the 1.2 turbo again 100hp resonably quick and cheaper tax and remaps see 125hp.
the 1.6 has 115hp in the earlyer models which is more or less in the middle in terms if running costs.
the 2.0 has 138hp but is quite rare to find one and insurance/running costs are obviously more.
the 1.6 vvt 128hp replaced the above engine which is whats in my gt and again goes pretty well but is only found in the later models that only just fall into your price bracket.

then your into deisel engines which unless your doing over 10k a year no point in justifying them imo

tbh the clio is the better car and you only have to look at prices of the deiiable older model mk2s v the desiable puntos of the same age to see that clios
hold there values better.
the punto turbo may be the quicker car in a staright line/have the most tunig patencial but the clio will run rings round thems in on twisty roads and will be much more fun to drive!!

somthing like this would be perect imo
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...21/keywords/dynamique s/radius/1500?logcode=p

Last edited:
  M16a
mk3 dyn S.

If you can, the 1.2 turbo is the cheapest to run/insure/tax.

plus as said, cheap mods can give it a bit more grunt, but hey where i used to work they have a 2.0 dyn s which was a nice car and it came with the half leather. cruise and climate.

entirely up to you on what you really want/need i suppose

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
Id go for the 3 door if i was you. They do have quite an edge over 5 doors and unless your gona be a taxi and have more than 2 people in your car ALL the time id definatly get the 3.

Sam!

Mazda 3 MPS
What is the tuning potential of the tce engine? I'd love a 2.0 litre dynamique but they are so much more expensive. As I already said, it would be stupid for me to go for a diesel. But thanks anyway.

Also could I have the climate control/xenons/cruise added if I wanted to? Can/will Renault do it?

Last edited:

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Also could I have the climate control/xenons/cruise added if I wanted to? Can/will Renault do it?

climate you cant add at a later date so personally id hold off and make it a must have.
Xenons you could add (or atleast get one with cornering lights so it has the projector lamps and you can get an HID kit)
Cruise control, if its anything like the MK2's you can add it but its an expensive ball ache!