ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What tyres do you run on track?

Track 172 Cup
After some advice as to what you guys recommend for Track days and the odd fast road blast, 172 Cup with 15". I have two sets of wheels and ideally a set for dry and a set for wet conditions. Probably be doing my first track day this month or in January.

Thanks.

Stu

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
Nankang NS2-Rs on mine, hard compound too! Very good tyre for the price tbh

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
I have Federal RSR for driving to and from the track and for when it is wet and Dunlop Direzza for the dry, although they are a bit more expensive they are a awesome tyre

Track 172 Cup
Anyone use the R888 and what are they like would of course be mainly track use but the odd day out on the road may be thrown in too, anyone had these on the road? Leaning toward the Federal at the min but the R888 are £73 at the min on that openo.

Clio 182
My Federal rsr after one track day.
Would you really buy these?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    913.7 KB · Views: 178
  Track 172 Cup
Thanks I'll have a look a the Yoko's I think that's what is on there now they just look a bit low to me.

Clio 182 Cup
For the money Nankang NS2Rs are brilliant, about 80-90% outright grip of something like the ad08r. More of an entry level track day tire but for the money bargain plus they're decent on and off the track and better in most adverse weather conditions than something like the r888.

Yokohama AD08r - great tire for as above a road/track going car, strong side walls, it's more expensive IIRC but you benefit of a great all round tyre on and off the track.

R888 - Summer time road use, no problem, on track they're excellent with boat loads of grip, colder weather on the road I'd look to another set as they're not really an "all year tyre" on the road. Wet weather can be a little iffy.

That's my 2p.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I've decided to stick with 16's but may invest in a spare set of 15's. I've tried rsr's on 15's, they were ok. Tried ado8's, they were ok. Current 16's are re050's and although they are a road tyre (which once warm seem spot on, road only) I will be trying these at Oulton. When the weather gets a tad better I 'think' I will invest in a spare set of 15's with either 888's or dunlop direzzas.

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
has anyone used both federal and nankangs? if so which do you prefer? I'm looking at both at the minute!
I've used both, Federals last longer than 120 compound Nankangs, both about the same grip, would go Feds for a track car. The dude above who posted the photo, either your driving or car setup (or both) need some work. Sorry if that sounds harsh bit we run Federals (on an MX5) for a full season of racing and the outside edge doesn't end up much worse than that. The 'slice' is nothing to worry about BTW.

Edit: have a set of part worn Feds you can have for next to bugger all if you want to try them, just give me a shout.

clio 182
I've used both, Federals last longer than 120 compound Nankangs, both about the same grip, would go Feds for a track car. The dude above who posted the photo, either your driving or car setup (or both) need some work. Sorry if that sounds harsh bit we run Federals (on an MX5) for a full season of racing and the outside edge doesn't end up much worse than that. The 'slice' is nothing to worry about BTW.

Edit: have a set of part worn Feds you can have for next to bugger all if you want to try them, just give me a shout.
what size mate? in running 16s

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
1st track day? In Jan when it's cold? Save some money, run standard tyres (hankook v12 or similar) and spend the money saved on tuition. New to track days you'll be burning expensive rubber without the skill to extract the performance from them. Utterly pointless.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I used to run Federal RSR but found they needed too much camber to use them effectively. They are good all rounder though.

I swapped to Yokohama AD08R and they are better again. They don't go off as quickly, offer more wet and dry grip and aren't as sensitive to camber.

I've used more track dedicated tyres before and they do offer more dry grip but if you want to drive to the track, do the track day and then drive home again without changing the wheels no matter what the weather then AD08R would be my choice.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Had a 197 following me and my dad on NS2's at a soaking hullavington airfield in our 172 cup on Contisport 3's and we had a big traction advantage. It was so bad they closed the course early for lunch but the road tyres were definitely better considering the handling and braking adavantage a mk3 has. Had a chat with driver afterwards and he was not enjoying the day. He did say they were great in better conditions though.
Chased and got a Subaru blue flagged to let us passed who was also running track day rubber in the wet.

Clio 182

Google the federals splitting.
I'm far from alone on this.

clio 182
I'm not saying im right, I haven't owned a pair so can't comment was just wondering if anyone's had actually gone all the way! I'm weighing up the federals and nankangs but I only drive on the road

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Has been covered on the forum before and they seem to split but the tread doesn't come away from the tyre. Considering the state some people can make of road tyres after a few laps it's not that bad really for the grip you get.

Track 172 Cup
1st track day? In Jan when it's cold? Save some money, run standard tyres (hankook v12 or similar) and spend the money saved on tuition. New to track days you'll be burning expensive rubber without the skill to extract the performance from them. Utterly pointless.

I actually thought about this to be fair just getting a premium set of road tyres (as like said first track day and possibly cold/wet weather) luckily my wheels are 15" so tyres don't come up that expensive but is it true its best not to use brand new tyres as they can over heat? I would always scrub them in on the road for a few miles anyway. I have a friend who works for ATS and get some cracking part worns (like 6-7mm on some tyres, just got my missus a 18" continental with 6mm on as she got a puncture that couldn't be repaired) and he fits them for me free when he's out and about (mobile tyre fitter).

Gonna double check my size I think they are 195/50/15 is there any advantage or disadvantage to running more or less profile on track (less flex in sidewall etc) I have seen a few different sizes in the 15" fitment that's all and it got me wondering?

Cheers guys.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Imo, don't get too caught up with track tyres, tyre temp etc. I'd go standard size, matching tyre all round and get used to being on track. Limits will be lower and a bit more progressive than you get with track tyres.
I've done plenty trackdays, ran r888 for a while but don't bother anymore. Imo there are much better things to spend your money on. Brakes, tuition being the main ones.

Cossie, 182FF, A3
Toyo r1r on track for me, found them good in wet and dry and much cheaper than r888.
Also use t1r on road a couple of track days and found them to be pretty good also.
First track day - as said before just get out there and have a go, you will have enough grip for some fast laps with decent road tyres and will not get the benefit of the semi's.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Have run brand new road tyres on track and you just take it easy for a couple of laps which you should do anyway to get the car and yourself warmed up and settled.

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Google the federals splitting.
I'm far from alone on this.
Yeah, both of my sets have done the same. Never manifests into anything sinister.

First ever track day and January... hmm, as others have said, just some road tyres might be a better option, they will give you more warning when they are about to let go and shouldn't overheat too much :)

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
I'm beginning to prefer wet and cold track days. Everything lasts longer and I learn a damn site more about car control :)

The 6C outside temp at hullavington made the engine feel pokier too especially when compared to 20+C summer day.

EVO said the 172 cup was nervous in the wet. Even without ABS it is an utter joy to drive even when it gets horrible and you have to make your own abs.

Rear end still doesn't bite even when I do some ham fisted trail braking and oversteer correction in rubbish conditions. I'll be sad when I have to sell it on.

Track 172 Cup
Anyone used Yokohama Prada Spec 2 seen 4 x new for £160 which seem pretty cheap if they're any good.

Track 172 Cup
Or the Uniroyal Rain sport and Continental Premium Contacts (2 or 5's) can be had for similar money.

Appreciate the patience too guys with the millions of questions lol.

Thanks.

Track 172 Cup
Think I have narrowed it down to these to replace the Yoko Neova AD08 that are on at the minute but are flush with the wear markers so not ideal on the road. (how low would you run your tyres on track? weather permitting I assume) Only decided not to replace the AD08's because they're £20 each more than any I have narrowed it down too, and I'm going to hopefully put more track bias tyres on my spare set of Speedline 2118's when they have been refurbed and the weather picks up a little better. These tyres will be mainly for my first few track days in January/Feb and the odd blast on the road.

Attachments

• Tyres.png
    Tyres.png
    204 KB · Views: 111

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
For what you have said. Get a decent set of road tyres for everyday. The hankook v12's are good, or were when I had them, used on one trackday too. Get a spare set of more track focused tyres as spares, for trackday only on the spare set of wheels, that's what I will do eventually when the weather picks up a tad.