ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What to upgrade to? Canon models only

Slow red one
First off I have a 400d and am wondering what would be a good price to sell that for? From looking on ebay I was thinking £230ish?

As for the upgrade im hoping to go for a 550d, what do you guys think of this model? Looks like a decent upgrade to me.

Cheers.

123D Coupe + MK1 MX5
Don't really think there's THAT much of a difference that you'd notice between a 400d and 550d?

I was looking at 1100D's purely for the video capability etc, but I think my next move will be to a 40D

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Why do you think it's a good upgrade ?

Buy a new lens and/or a flash.

I don't think my pictures are any better with my 7D than my 450D and would rather have £1500 in my pocket instead with hindsight.... but then I'm my own worst critic !

Slow red one
Why do you think it's a good upgrade ?

Buy a new lens and/or a flash.

I don't think my pictures are any better with my 7D than my 450D and would rather have £1500 in my pocket instead with hindsight.... but then I'm my own worst critic !
Well it'd produce higher res photos which is always a benefit, other than that there's not a lot in it as I don't care to much for the video function. What would you suggest is the next move up then out of curiosity? Just had my 400d since about 2005/6 so thought it was about due an upgrade, and it'd only cost around £300 after selling my current one.

Higher res photo's really means nowt unless you're planning to print and stick it to the side of a building. Put the money into lens.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Unless you're blowing them up to cover the side of a building, you'll not notice a difference.

What lenses / kit do you own currently ?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I was going to check 'Talk Photography' F/S section but it appears to be Private now ..

Maybe someone on here with Jedi Rights on there can have a look on there for you :)

Oil Burner
As said, unless you want video going for another XXXD model isn't really an upgrade.

You want a XXD body. Better AF, Better build quality, better laid out controls for quick adjustments. Generally just better cameras. Resultion isn't everything, but it is nice, you can crop harder which can help if your short on focal length. Also look at the screen resolutions, the 40d has a 3" screen with a low resolution which makes it more challenging to spot sharp images from soft ones. The 50d has a much nicer screen which makes life so much easier.

Make me a sensible offer and i may sell my 50d btw, looking to change it.

Kawasaki ER6N
I went from a 400d to a 60d for the video and the live flip out screen which is good for shooting low down.

Agree with everything said above.

xxD bodies whilst not necessarily offering better image quality will help you to get shots that you might not have got with an xxxD body (i.e. AF, Frames per second, better overall handling). I can also confirm, as identified by Nick, the 40D screen is poor by todays standards - low res which makes it difficult to identify sharp shots.

A 50D body would be a nice upgrade.

Cheers

Mk2 ph1 clio
A D40 would be an upgrade ;)

... you mean downgrade to a camera with no autofocus motor built in? Canon has that in every EOS ;)

On topic, your body is fine and as said an investment in some better glass will give you what your looking for! I second the L series glass, it doesnt get much sharper than this!

How is going from a 40D to a 550D a sidestep?

Digic 4 processor, full HD video, over double the screen resolution - just the tip of the iceberg
*sigh*

Also if you're not noticing any difference between a 7D and a 450D then I'm fairly gobsmacked

I've had 1000D, 450D, 500D, 50D (was AWESOME) and a 7D - The 7D is worth every penny for the AF system alone

550D is a lovely camera and if you want a bit of high def video I'd definately recommend it
If you're more into action shots and want to keep the speed - I'd look at 50D or 7D

Saying that - other than your 50mm the glass is pretty low end and if you're just looking for an increase in IQ I'd get some decent glass first

No no no no no it's SUPERB

There's a lot of stuff you can do with it which takes a bit of getting used to - but for track photos my mind was blown
Whack it on Servo AF and let it select it's own AF Points - holy s**t
Panning photos of BTCC cars and every single one was pin sharp - it's insane