ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

what to do ???

clio 172
Due to pick up my clio 172 this morning from the garage, I have been a bit concerned as I don't think the garage have a very good name so last night I read the reviews!!!!!!!!! OMG...... it was rather disturbing to be honest, they have been closed down before and now operate under another name, also the garage that do none of there repairs!! and mot,s is owned by them aswell, I spoke to them in the week asking how the mot went etc and found them to be a bit....well full of s**t tbh, should I loose my £100 deposit and find another or risk getting tucked up???

172 CUP
Put it this way, i put a £250 deposit on mine after seeing pictures and speaking to the dealer. Well ended up needing new belts etc and a new cat that the r****d had done a DIY job on with a rod and hammer (2wats). Bought for £2500 and ended up costing me £3400. So if you take the risk expect things may go horribly wrong. I had to learn the hard way, never again

clio 172
take the AA/RAC with you to do a check on the car or at a min tell them thats what you are doing and see what they say back..

clio 172
on way to Cardiff in a min to look at another one, its a 2003 172, hopefully they will give me a good deal on my lexus and I will bring her home if its any good.

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
Write off the £100, knock it off the price of a different one - then bad mouth the first place for giggles.

​Everyone is happy!

clio 172
NOT HAPPY THIS MORNING!!!!
I travelled from my home south wales last night with my 14 year old son to Plymouth to look ah a ph1 172, looked very pretty with some mods, done the deal with my lexus and after a few mins the temp gauge went straight to the top with temp light on!!! rang kid and got the normal that I must of broke it within 2 miles of leaving his house!! told him I was coming back for my lexus!! got the norm, anyway I topped up water and managed to get her home but temp up and down like a bloody yo yo ??? wondered if it could be a air lock or busted thermostat??, gauge would sit on about half if doing about 65mph but as soon as you hit a slight hill or go a bit faster she would get up to max temp again then back down eventually. no signs of water in oil and no signs of any water leaking from anywhere?? heater fan didn't work so was very very cold in the car!! also the dephazer pulley has gone but I was aware of that before I went down,not sure if this would contribute to the prob
any help on this guys would be good. not the best start to Renault ownership:mad:

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Don't know much about much but might be a stat? Doesn't sound like your having much luck mate... Didnt you test drive it?
I think we can all learn a lesson from this experience, let the cars fully warm up and take it for a decent test drive..
Saying that I didnt when I bought my van but I knew it was built by someone from here and was confident Id have no issues.

Hope it works out ok mate

clio 172
Sorry never ment to insinuate you were ! How do you mean , taken away?
I rang and told him to bring the lexus to me up the road where I had broken down, he would not so I then told him I was coming to his house to collect it, he had the keys for it and obviously was not prepaired to give it me back, my main issue was the fact I had my 14 year old son with me in a car with no heaters inside at -2 degrees and a car that potentially was not fit to get us home.he was not interested in that fact. (t**t) you cant trust anybody nowadays

I rang and told him to bring the lexus to me up the road where I had broken down, he would not so I then told him I was coming to his house to collect it, he had the keys for it and obviously was not prepaired to give it me back, my main issue was the fact I had my 14 year old son with me in a car with no heaters inside at -2 degrees and a car that potentially was not fit to get us home.he was not interested in that fact. (t**t) you cant trust anybody nowadays

Thats so wrong it's actually making me angry ! Some people really are as you say T@&ts ! It's a big shame mate , a lot of people on hear will no doubt say its your fault for not checking it over etc but it's a shame with your lad it came to that !

Get it checked over my a proper mechanic mate best thing , I'd offer but little to far really !

clio 172
im not to bad, been on the technical forum and seems it may be the waterpump, ran it on idle for half an hour or so, fans working ok but when they do kick in the water in header tank is cold?? rises then drops again when fans switch off. no water leaks anywhere

clio 172
NOT HAPPY THIS MORNING!!!!
I travelled from my home south wales last night with my 14 year old son to Plymouth to look ah a ph1 172, looked very pretty with some mods, done the deal with my lexus and after a few mins the temp gauge went straight to the top with temp light on!!! rang kid and got the normal that I must of broke it within 2 miles of leaving his house!! told him I was coming back for my lexus!! got the norm, anyway I topped up water and managed to get her home but temp up and down like a bloody yo yo ??? wondered if it could be a air lock or busted thermostat??, gauge would sit on about half if doing about 65mph but as soon as you hit a slight hill or go a bit faster she would get up to max temp again then back down eventually. no signs of water in oil and no signs of any water leaking from anywhere?? heater fan didn't work so was very very cold in the car!! also the dephazer pulley has gone but I was aware of that before I went down,not sure if this would contribute to the prob
any help on this guys would be good. not the best start to Renault ownership:mad:
thermostat :D

iceberg phase 2 172
bad luck mate :( just out of interest what was the garage u heard the bad reviews about ? and where was it located ? also the pic dont work bud

clio 172
if the gauge is getting hot then you should get warm air {unless airlock} if the thermo is stuck open would take ages to get warm...u ran it on idle did the heater get warm?

Clio DCi III
A lot of times people are selling scrap. I've found this out the hard way, unfortunately. It comes down to trusting no one & not believing anything anyone says. Too many cafty unscrupulous private sellers with no conscience or morals. Only myself to blame really i suppose. You can but hope there is such a thing as karma. I can say from experience you'll be better at checking out the next car you buy.

Enough of all that though, hope you get sorted & it's not costly.

It's a hard one but either the coolant leaking out causing the engine to run hot with no water in , or the water isn't getting circulated so ie water pump thermo stat

obviously thermostat is easier and quicker to check , also do the fans kick in when it over heats? Could be a knackered fan ?

clio 172
easy test then take stat out fun it and see if gets hot again..shouldnt with no stat in..also did u check the pipes to and from the stat? when engine nice and warm both pipes from stat should be hot if 1 hot and 1 warm/cold then defo stat pooped

Change the thermostat, flush and replace the system with type-d coolant. Change or repair the rheostat(resistor).

But tbf just take it to someone who knows what they are looking at.