ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What to do?! Meg 250 or mod the 200

Albi 200
Hi guy's,

I've got a 200 with not many miles on it (2k) and have just come into a bit of
money via an inheritance.

I was thinking of upgrading the Clio to a meg 250 and efffectively ordered one yesterday, I just have to pay the deposit. With what I could sell the clio for it would cost me 7-8k to upgrade to the meg.

Now last night I got to thinking what I could achieve out of the clio for 7-8k and now I've got a serious decision to make! :S

Do I go ahead and get the meg 250 or throw what I would of paid to change up at the Clio. I was thinking supercharger conversion and a few other bits.

What are your thoughts?

PS 200
Keep the 200 as it is.

Go on a holiday or save the cash for a rainy day - there could well be plenty ahead with the state of the economy !!!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Are you unhappy with the 200? If not keep it and do nothing. Either of the options you're talking about are a lot of cash, especially when your probably already driving the best hothatch pound for pound. If you do want to spend £20k on a car, IMO there are better options than the megane.
The focus rs for instance. Bit pricier, not much (if any) better than the meg250. But it'll hold it's value a damn sight better!

Albi 200
Thanks for the quick replies.

I'm not just getting 7-8k, that's just what I'm willing to pay to upgrade to another car. And I don't need to worry about buying property either.

I test drove both the meg and the RS and the focus didn't do anything for me. It sounded good but it didn't feel like I'd expect a 300bhp hatchback to feel. And they've stopped taking orders on new ones now, you can only have whatevers left over at the factory. And they're certainly not worth 26-27k!

I'm just after something unique really. The meg 250's a unique car but a well modded Clio just sounds good to me. And no ones really pushed the boundaries with the 200 yet!

Thanks for your thoughts though :D

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Buy a £1500 PH1, Some Slicks and go Track daying, resting safe in the knowledge you have a comfy 200 to run about in.

And put the rest in the bank for a rainy day, Pay off some of your Morgage, Pay off some of the finance on the 200 if you have any?

Lotus Exige, 182

I'm not just getting 7-8k, that's just what I'm willing to pay to upgrade to another car. And I don't need to worry about buying property either.

I test drove both the meg and the RS and the focus didn't do anything for me. It sounded good but it didn't feel like I'd expect a 300bhp hatchback to feel. And they've stopped taking orders on new ones now, you can only have whatevers left over at the factory. And they're certainly not worth 26-27k!

I'm just after something unique really. The meg 250's a unique car but a well modded Clio just sounds good to me. And no ones really pushed the boundaries with the 200 yet!

Save the money, but if you absolutely have to "upgrade" from what is the best new hot hatch currently on sale (and I have a 250 on order!) why don't you move away from renault? 20kish will get you a very nice Z4M, or a 996 911...

Modding a 200 the way you seem to be thinking will void the warranty - why bother?

If you want a fast Clio, buy a 172 Cup and chuck another £5k at it and use it for trackdays.

10x the fun you'll have with a 200 on the road.

Dude it would seem that alot of people prefer the 200 to the 250 if you take everything into account. You can also pick up a year old RS for 24k atm. The nice thing about the meg is that its fluid.

If you have the cash to splash I would look for a year old R26R if you want something special. I personally dont think the meg 250 will drop as older mods have done in the past due to the amount of press Renault Sport have had. I love the 250 but you are paying 8k more for 50BHP and its really not much quicker.

182cup
If you have come in to big money and you fancy being different why not..

I wonder what a turbo'd 200 with an lsd would be like :)

2=clio 200
Personally, I will turbocharge the clio. I take it you have a house, plus a job. If so, turbo charge it. :)

182cup
Xell only just noticed your from Exeter think I saw you on Clyst St. Mary round about a few times recently..?

car looks stunning was drooling in my 182 cup lol

Albi 200
Well I don't have finance on the 200 and, thanks to the inheritance, don't have a mortgage either. Oh and I have a stable job too so I don't have any money worries.

I spose if I want big power I could buy another supra, but I like the thought of a mental clio.

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
a 200 has about 8 bhp per ton less than a r26 hasnt it? (0-100 is about the same) so a supercharged one would be a fair bit quicker than a r26 i'd have thought, also a propper sleeper and would easily keep up with a FRS and be quicker in the "twisties" (as it is standard ;)) and at the end of the day the clio isnt "meant" to be in the same category as the r26

its yours cash and if you have no debts and want to do something mad on something you love go for it - I for one would love to see a FI 200.

Mini Cooper S sport
If you have money to burn then go for the 250 if that's what you want. Wouldn't bother modding the Clio, just buy a Ph1 to track it as suggested.

To be honest if I had the cash I'd move away from Renault though and get something like a TVR or Exige.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
a 200 has about 8 bhp per ton less than a r26 hasnt it? so a supercharged one would be a fair bit quicker than a r26 i'd have thought, also a propper sleeper and would easily keep up with a FRS and be quicker in the "twisties" (as it is standard ;))

its yours cash and if you have no debts and want to do something mad on something you love go for it - I for one would love to see a FI 200.
On paper, yes. In reality, no.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
How is and R26R any less of a collectors car then a FRS 500? If anything they are more of a collectors car as there were fewer made.
Neither are truely 'collectors' cars. They're shopping trolley's with big engine's.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I'd considor a collectors car as something to be pampered and kept in a garage and never used in bad weather.

Fitting a roll cage, semi slicks etc etc would lean more towards pure enthusiasts wanting a track weapon IMO.

As for the OP, if money is that comfy at the moment trade in for a 250, chip it with maybe better IC or whatever it needs for that little extra and enjoy it. blowing 7k on the clio seems to much of a waste of money.

ITB BG 182
Keep your money, dont mod either car or upgrade, in a years time the 250 will be alot cheaper or get a weekend car like a caterham/elise sort of thing.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Trade in for a storm Grey 200 and be a real hero.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Trade in for a storm Grey 200 and be a real hero.
Have you seen Storm grey in the flesh? There was one when I picked mine up. Funkin horrid in the flesh, yet even in the pic I took it looks nice. Weird.
It's the colour of clay in the flesh
Clay-For-Cleaning.jpg

RS 172
I'm not sure throwing thousands of pounds at the 200 is a good idea unless you plan on keeping it for a very long time and dont mind it not adding any real value to the car.

Upgrading would be a better option of the two, but already having a nice new 200, I can think of better things to do with the money. I'd start by clearing any debts you may have.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-

Sell yours private -- theres a mint 250 for sale on Renaultsport for 20500-

Assuming you get that for 20k -- Sell yours for 13.5/14 & thats just 6k-

S

Keep your money, dont mod either car or upgrade
exactly... unless your initial plans were to mod anyway then its all a waste, it seems that you're doing it because you have the money to do it rather than doing it because you intended to.

Iceberg 172
Mod the Clio ffs! Why are people so against spending money on clios yet bum everyone who has a mental spec track Clio!? Amazes me!