ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What is classed as high miles for a clio?

172 cup
Hi,
After reading a thread, im just wondering what is classed as a high miler for a 1*2? I used to have a Volvo 850 t-5r yellow estate @ 145K. and that was classed as fine. Would these engines be good for 150k? Or am i being stupid?

Before buying my 172 come across a few "lost miles" on the 85k ones. So ended up with a 100k miles cup.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
There's someone on here who recently surpassed 182,182 miles iirc.

Mine's on 123k and still doing well!

172 cup
That's nice to hear. I'm sure a lot of these cars end life early due to being ragged to death and not looked after. It's just you don't see many past 100k really.

172 cup
Not at all. It's very hard to come across over text. I used to be on a Volvo forum years ago and was a member for years. As also you saw the same questions over and over from new members. It does get annoying at times.

Sorry for a repeat of a question. But it's a forum with many new and old members. Unfortunately it will always happen on any subject. If we all used the search bar all the time there wouldn't be any new threads.

Fair point imo. Mines on 105k now and runs fantastically. Oil change every 5k and you're good

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
165k and still going strong. Regular oil changes and it is well looked after mechanically. Will being going back to a track car so milage will increase slower but will have a harder life, but will still have the usual services and such.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
@Sir_Dave trophy was around 200k iirc
187k when i sold it iirc.
IMG_1586.jpg

Blew up shortly after on track, due to (more than likely) a lack of heel & toe/over rev on downshift.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Average mileage is what? 10 - 12k a year? So work it out using that.

a 10 year old car on 100k is average mileage, a 5 year old car on 100k is high mileage. 10 year old car on 50k is low mileage a 5 year old car on 50k is average mileage etc.

Take my Volvo, it's just coming up to 70k, however it is also just coming up to 9 years old hence it's technically low mileage but some would see it as being 'high'.

If it were me buying, i'd buy on condition rather than how many miles it's done.

Example 1) a 10 year old 182 on 47,000 miles £3,000
Example 2) a 10 year old 182 on 90,000 miles £2,500

If they are both in the same condition and both have had belts done - which would you buy? personally i'd buy the 90k car as higher mile cars 'usually' get maintained well.

Modern engines, as long as they are looked after (oil changes etc) will go on indefinately.

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
Mines fast approaching 110k, I've owned it for the last 18months/25k and it is still yet to put a foot wrong, I've had literally 0 zero mechanical issues other than maintenance items.

As said if you have a well looked after one you're laughing :)

SQ5
I think the general misconception is that 20 years ago a car on 100k probably was about to go bang.

I always go with the theory of if you look at a 2005 car, it's 10 years old but doesn't seem old. In 2005 when you thought of a 1995 car it seems the difference is much grander, it's just technology moving on.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Nudging 140k for mine. They are generally a 2.0litre pulling not-that-much of a car.

Sure they can be driven hard, but for the most part - these lumps aren't having that much of a hard life.

As others - looked after with oil changes and other servicing - they do last.

Being a Clio forum, let's take a 2002 172 for example. 13 years old.

13 x 12,000 = 156,000 miles. Your average 172 doesn't often have 156,000 miles.

It's a good way of sellers making a car sound less used than it has been, especially for a several year old car that's done a lot of miles in it's first say 5 years and then leveled out.

I think it's fair to agree each vehicle has it's own average, from a BMW rep mobile to say a classic car which has passed it's 'daily' status.

PH2 RS172
Sorry for a repeat of a question. But it's a forum with many new and old members. Unfortunately it will always happen on any subject. If we all used the search bar all the time there wouldn't be any new threads.

^this. too many people wanting to use the search function and not actually communicate. i know most of time theres already an answer but i want first hand views not 6 year old posts. how tos i agree use search but anything else....

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
My X reg 172 has in excess of 156,000 on it now. Had it 7 years and drive it pretty hard most of the time. Occasionally top up oil but it's only a small amount usually. Service every 10,000 miles. The engine is as strong now as it was when new. Last mapping session saw 167.1 bhp at RS tuning. It's been a great car to own although I've just spent £900 on various items after a track day at Cadwell three weeks ago where I was pushed into the barrier by an MX5 race car. Had to replace the front bumper and headlight but it escalated to new tyres, new front discs and pads a repair to the exhaust joint that was blowing slightly and put the rear bumper back together, and today a new front spring and MOT. Thankfully the shell wasn't damaged. Looks as good as ever now. Hopefully plenty more fun to be had.
It's been one of those cars that I've really enjoyed owning and driving. It stands outside on the drive all year and sometimes doesn't get used for a while but it always starts first time. Fifteen years old now. I'd have another one without hesitation.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Mine is now on 152k the engine is still very strong, still makes book power, and doesn't drink a drop of oil between oil changes. It has been looked after well in my 10.5 years of ownership though.

The engines on these are cheap and plentiful. So if it goes bang no big worry.

Buying a high mileage car above 120k anyhow most of the bushes, bearings etc will have already have been changed.

RS Clio 182
This is super reassuring. I bought my 182 maybe 6 months ago on a whim with 95k miles on it. It's never had any issues other than having to change the standard exhaust resonator and the occasional dash light (as it seems to be mechanically sound, I'm not too worried). Now I have over 100k I've been beginning to worry wether I need to get a new car. I'm going to look after this one as best as I can and after reading this I'm pretty confident it'll keep going for at the very least another year plus.