ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What 4X4 turbo engine conversion in a clio?

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Hi all

Been thinking about this today but cant think :(, so has anybody seen a 4x4 turbo conversion in a clio ph2 before? if you had the choice what would you fit?.

obviously my first choice would be cosworth but a engine alone is rediculous.

cheers

M3, Cup racer'd 182
3S-GTE from a Celica GT-4. Not sure if the MR2 version would be any cop layout wise.

The GT-4 lump seams massive, as for the MR2 it's rear wheel drive and rear engine'd so not really ideal.
i already know of a renault 5 Rwd fireblade for sale :)

SQ5
That's not 4WD though is it? So your defeated already.

S4 2.7 V6 Twin Turbo will fit with minimal work ;) well minimal depending on your skill level!

M3, Cup racer'd 182

yes i seen the car in person i sold a dimma kit to the owner (tim) he was restoring it back to its former glory.
here's the pic's i taken when i was there.
e52d3863.jpg

afb41cf3.jpg

a07ec382.jpg

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
not the best i know but 1.8t out of a quattro tt? would be one of the easier conversions...

No replacement for displacement, stroker kit and done!

Seeing as you can get 1000+bhp out of a 2.0 4G63, before even stroking it, and Mike Reichen's Evo II runs one which is the fastest in the world, I'd not bother with the 4G64 personally.

There'll be far more support in the tuning world for the 4G63 too I'd imagine.

SQ5
Have a look on the Evo forums, and not the pony UK ones were a big build is considered 500-600bhp. Look on US forums and you'll see, even over here the 4G64 strokered lump is becoming popular. Friend has just finished his build

M3, Cup racer'd 182
The money i'd spend on prepping the engine for the supercharger/running gear for 400bhp will be the same or as close to fitting a awesome conversion anyway. ;)

Sell me your 197
if you want a 4WD buy a 4WD car. 4WD alone wont make it good, the chassis needs to be tuned for 4WD....

Have a look on the Evo forums, and not the pony UK ones were a big build is considered 500-600bhp. Look on US forums and you'll see, even over here the 4G64 strokered lump is becoming popular. Friend has just finished his build

Still, why bother when you can get such power from an engine that's probably more readily available over here?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Value for money wise an ST185 celica makes a lot of sense as a donor car, really good 4wd system on those and the engines can make good power.

Evo is another easy option layout wise.

TBH though, you have to be pretty obsessed with clios to want to bother, make far more sense to just spend 5K on a decent imprezza or whatever and f**k the clio off if you want a decent 4wd turbo car!

Williams20V-306BHP
I Have debated doing this Sooooo many times (although in a MK1) I found

Subaru….great choice, one of the lightest 4x4 systems but sat to far fwd for the MK1 (no room for an intercooler or the rad) there is more room in a MK2

Evo, great but v expensive

Pulsar, cheap, great engine but poor gearbox.

Celica GT4’s are now cheap and very strong! Plus 50/50 power split std and a lds!

TT running gear, I was gonna make mine 4x4 but the Haldex controller needs modifying or locking up (causing it to crab on tight corners) or for track days. Then you need a diff in the back or you just spin up the 2 inside wheels all the time.

Cosworth… old and heavy and v v expensive

If I was doing it id look into the GT4 300bhp no worries. If you get the weight down to 1200kg you dont really need much more than 400bhp but obviously more is just more fun :)

Williams20V-306BHP
HA Chip... i wrote that before seeing your post! I think ST205 but were on the same lines.

And how can you say why bother!!! your fitting a Honda in yours FFS and got a Saab powered Nova..... we do it "coz we can" remember. ;)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
HA Chip... i wrote that before seeing your post! I think ST205 but were on the same lines.

St185 is cheaper is only reason I suggested it instead, st205 is fine too though :)

And how can you say why bother!!! your fitting a Honda in yours FFS and got a Saab powered Nova..... we do it "coz we can" remember. ;)

Lol

As I said, unless you are a bit obsessive about the particular type of car in the first place it doesnt make sense, but in my case with both those cars I want to do it "just because" not as it makes sense.

I should put the honda turbo engine in a Ek civic where it would fit better and easily be able to handle as well as a clio.
I should be using a vx220 not a nova if I want a mid engined car powered by a saab engine and vx220 box.

I wouldnt ever recomend anyone else to do the same if they just want a good car, but I do my projects just for the fun of doing it, rather than for the end result.

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Cheers for all your comments guys, it's not going to happen for few months (need to find a massive unit) but my minds made up, so my options are between 2 cars either a Subaru impreza sti or the celica gt4 st205.