ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wet track tyres

172 track car
What wet tyres are best for spare set of track tyres if weather not permitting use of r888

Cheers scott

Aren't R1Rs meant to be much better in proper wet conditions?
Other than that, I would just use some normal road tyres like PE2s etc

172 Race Car
Nothing wrong with R888's unless there is puddles. R1R is a similar tyre but with more tread so better with standing water

172 track car
Would you recommend having two sets of tyres R1Rs and r888 for a mixed tyre selection for both wet and dry conditions?
Cheers

172 Race Car
Was a oulton once and there was a lad with slicks, r888's and 'wets'. He spent all day swapping wheels as the weather kept changing.

Not my idea of fun tbh, just drive the thing

220 Trophy
I've found 888's to be fantastic still on track when wet, just like in the dry get some heat into them and they're fine. As said above wouldn't want to drive them through standing water but haven't come across any yet on track as normally do Brands and its all banked corners.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
888 when new are good in the wet, when they are down well below the wear markers where most of us trackday boys take them to get our moneys worth they are rubbish.

Rainsport are a good cheap option for driving to and from tracks on that work well if its very wet but bear in mind that if its only damp you will rip them to bits if you drive hard.

Federal RSR are the best allround tyre I have found so far, we use those for road driving to and from events, for ring trips, and for wets on track, and if it does dry out more than you expected it to they can handle that too, and then we use MPSC for the dry stuff.

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
Rainsports are what i have as road/wet tyres, if the track isnt that wet then the 888's will be going on.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Rainsports are what i have as road/wet tyres, if the track isnt that wet then the 888's will be going on.

888 and rainsports is a good combination, only reason we went to the RSR is they are a better marriage with MPSC (as unlike they 888 they are rubbish in even moderate damp where the rainsports are too fragile) and because they are better all rounders for ring trips.

If we were back on 888 I would probably go back to the rainsport too and just use new 888 for ring trips.

The 1.6mm high bumps built into the tread to show where they are now too worn to be road legal anymore.

What about being track worthy? I don't use mine on the road anyway. But have always wondered how you would tell when they are not safe to use any more I just assumed that when they turn into a slick, but I've never had track tyres before so it's all new territory for me..

You can keep using 888s for ages after the markers. I bought a second hand set which were on the markers, and I got plenty of track days out of them. They were almost slicks (so no tread left) when I got rid of them.

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
Track worthy is fine, my last ring trip had 2 of the 888's below the wear markers by the time we came home.
but the wheels were swapped over back to the 182 wheels with normal tyres for the road miles :)

Apologies for hijacking the thread.

But this is what I don't get. OK you can use them beyond the markers, but at what point do you say OK these need to be binned now?

Worried I would use them and because they were so far beyond the safe limit (which I wasn't aware of) something terrible would happen whilst going round a corner on track.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Well if you see any canvas or wire you have definitely gone too far, lol
Thats about the only point they become unsafe other than in the wet where they just get really low on grip when they wear out.

I tend to use 888s to around the wear marker but I find they "go off" too soon after that, MPSC I use until they almost look like slicks though.

Audi A5
I've got rsr's on my road wheels and I'm sourcing some 888's ATM. Once I've got the 'proper dry track rubber' sorted i think ill sell the rsr's as i don't think they perform that well on track in the dry or wet. As a road tyre though their brilliant.

OK thanks. So basically if they start looking like actual slicks that's when they are on their last legs.

Unless of course they just feel absolute sh*t before this anyway lol.

Lionel Richie
i ran toyo T1-R's shaved down with naff all pressure and they worked quite well, only £50 a corner (including the shaving)

172 track car
888 and rainsports is a good combination, only reason we went to the RSR is they are a better marriage with MPSC (as unlike they 888 they are rubbish in even moderate damp where the rainsports are too fragile) and because they are better all rounders for ring trips.

If we were back on 888 I would probably go back to the rainsport too and just use new 888 for ring trips.

who makes rain sports??