ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Welshname's Monaco 172

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Nothing interesting happening lately. Just had 4 new PS3 XL's fitted this evening and I'll be getting it MOT'd soon.

Had a quote from Birchdown for:
Belts
Dephaser
Alternator
Service
ARB bushes
Steering rack bushes
Cat to manifold gasket

I'm being really lazy and kind of don't want the hassle so I'm thinking of just sending it to them. I might buy the parts and see how I feel though as they've told me they will fit my parts if I want to do it that way.

Car hasn't been washed in over 2 months either. It might sound like I've lost love for it but quite the opposite. I'm actually starting to get on with the car now and really enjoy it, I've just not had a moment free to do anything the last few months and I'm not sure I want to spend my only free time doing boring maintenance work lol.

I'll maybe get some pictures at some point. Probably not though.

That's the spirit! If my project thread was still going I'd probably post something similar. In fact, I might just copy and paste your post.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Thought you did the belts on this when you first bought it?
I did. But I didn't do the dephaser because it wasn't noisy at the time and I had no money so left it knowing it would need doing again.

It was either spend £79 (or whatever it cost me) on the belts knowing it was going to need doing again or leave it a month or two hoping the timing was okay and the belts weren't over due (it came with a very suspect invoice for belts nearly 4 years ago).

Seeing as the alternator needs changing it makes sense to get everything done or if I can be bothered to then do it myself.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Money pit 😧

And how comes you bought the ktec ik if you didn't want the LOL noise? Noticed they've come down in price (iirc they was around £180) but still a lot to spend and the fit is crap! You'd expect that fitment from ripspeed/halfords.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Money pit 😧

And how comes you bought the ktec ik if you didn't want the LOL noise? Noticed they've come down in price (iirc they was around £180) but still a lot to spend and the fit is crap! You'd expect that fitment from ripspeed/halfords.
I didn't think it would be that bad tbh. But I've never heard anything quite like it!

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Nothing too interesting of late. MOT was due in November so naturally I waited until last week to do it as I need tax!

For the MOT it needed:
Drivers topmount
Drivers CV boot
Sidelights putting back in
And something else which I've forgotten...

£195 later as I did both topmounts and all is well with no advisories!

Have just ordered from Ads:
Alternator
Cambelt kit
Dephaser and seal
Aux kit
Lower cambelt cover
The spacers for the upper one as I'm missing one
Cat to manifold kit
Oil filter
Sump plug washer
Aux pulley bolt
Rear wiper and arm as it snapped off in the cold!

On top of that I've just paid for one of the heel and toe throttle pedals from northloop. Meant to order new brake and clutch pedals from ads but forgot :( will order them later in the week as a birthday present I think along with some clean plates.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Following on from the above today I set about getting the list of jobs done.

Started by getting the gazebo out and cracking on striping down the front end, draining the PAS fluid and oil.

23697a30f8f2e33f208c8f6c4d17d123.jpg

Then my battery died so I cracked on and got everything done:
Dephaser
Belts
Alternator
PAS Pump
Etc

Had a bit of a moment when jacking the engine up and down and caught the brake reservoir which popped the rear nipple out of the servo pissing brake fluid all over the floor. Bit of a panic at this point so rang @Jonff to see if he could remember if the servo just pushed in like most others, he couldn't remember so gave @Scrooge a quick call who also didn't know but assured me that every car he's worked on they just push in. So did that and it all seems to be holding fluid so I'll bleed the system (via CLiP) tomorrow.

By which point my phone had some life back so grabbed a quick video to show the belts all timed up.

And all back together again in the dark. Weather caused serious issues too. We had hale, snow, rain and sunshine all within 30 mins which was odd.

Tomorrow I'll do the brakes and then also the rear wiper and maybe give the car a clean if my snow foam lance turns up.

Going to look at booking a track day closer to summer as well now that pretty much everything mechanical on this car has been replaced!

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
So today I had the day off work and decided to get my tracking sorted again. Had a few things changed since last time and done a good few thousand miles.

7ff3e1089c33aaf31bc3cd74521374e7.jpg

Ignore what you can see of the before measurements as they aren't correct as he didn't save them.

Just before I left, my snow foam lance arrived in the post so decided to give the car a well overdue clean as it hasn't been done since November.

Nearly forgot to get a before picture but remembered whilst the wonder wheels was working away.

54ffc8fd1f3356309f218e8dac476748.jpg

bfd599ba512ba59ec380f08cff5980c6.jpg

17cf587bf1f11bae806df95f98688a85.jpg

As much as it doesn't look that bad the wheels were black and pictures seem to hide the worst of the dirt.

So I'll come back to the wheels later as they are ruined and need a refurb but got the snow foam out to give it a go.

dcd8ff8857d6d0d0cdc6ee3d9e8c9c5b.jpg

Had a play with a few settings but it was too watery most of the time and the level of foam you see there used a LOT! of the bottle (Auto Finesse - Avalanche)

So let that dwell, went round the details with RDS and a brush then rinsed off. It had moved a lot more of the crap than I expected.

Then washed it and rinsed it again.

13fc148f4fd5e5be8a94392b916ea2e0.jpg

Forgot what Monaco actually looked like.

So the wheels. After 3 hits of wonder wheels and one of iron x they were still bad (now the paint is flaking and there has been a poor refurb but there were massive brake dust streaks, even more so from the sticking caliper.)

ff7532860d88c5c7548f3a79fac4ac4d.jpg

So out came the clay cloth which left them looking a little more presentable.

11bfd91be3473147d6deccc062313059.jpg

As you can see there was a little left and the paint from before the refurb is starting to come through.

I realised earlier in the day that I'd ran out of wax/sealant so nipped to Halfords and grabbed some AG HD wax. I have to say it isn't the best wax I've used and I'm not a massive fan of wax anyway but this stuff is fool proof. Put as much on as you want or as little it still buffs off with no effort.

So as it was getting dark I stuck some tyre shine on and took a quick few snaps. (Some of them are from before tyre shine)

8f30cb40799fd7163c1d2cfe3a33763a.jpg

84179379faee235826aa90eedf1a5230.jpg

fe1d716870eae234df91725e1737ae50.jpg

Much better. Interior still needs doing but I'll do that this weekend. Also the paint really needs some correction work doing!

I'm now stuck between whether to refurb the wheels, or buy some turinis and have the tyres swapped over. Need to make my mind up as I want them done for summer.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
It's great to see these proper cheap old cars getting some decent attention.
Well done mate. :)
Thanks. The paintwork isn't great, lots of sanding marks etc but mechanically I've replaced pretty much everything now bar the steering rack + bushes and ARB bushes.

Should really get off my arse and do them tbh.

Oh and I forgot to fit the cat to manifold gasket today so will do that when the weather is decent next as its only blowing a little, bust just enough to annoy me now I can hear it without all the whining and rattling from the engine bay.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Good work sheepnameface. Track day - let me know which one and i'll try to attend. Don't fancy Anglesey with Javelin on July 2nd do you? I'm all booked up.
Not doing anywhere else until I've done oulton. Would rather be closer to home if I stack it into the Armco or the engine goes pop.

Would like to do Anglesey at some point though! Tempted to book on the RS day at oulton too that you or Bobby J mentioned (can't remember which now). Will have a think in the week.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Not doing anywhere else until I've done oulton. Would rather be closer to home if I stack it into the Armco or the engine goes pop.

Would like to do Anglesey at some point though! Tempted to book on the RS day at oulton too that you or Bobby J mentioned (can't remember which now). Will have a think in the week.

'Twas me! I'm booking it this week aswell. And potentially the Bedford one aswell.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Nice work mate, I didn't realise you were so handy with regards to doing all the belts yourself etc. For me, I'd get turinis, monaco with bright silver turinis really does look immense.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Nice work mate, I didn't realise you were so handy with regards to doing all the belts yourself etc. For me, I'd get turinis, monaco with bright silver turinis really does look immense.
I resent spending money on anything I don't have to so I like to learn. Did them first time round myself minus the dephaser straight after I bought the car and although its a bugger getting everything off and time consuming actually timing them up isn't hard at all. The PDF is a bit s**t at explaining but it really isn't as difficult as people would have you believe.

And I'm thinking the same on the turini front. But on second thoughts I might get a track day done first, then get these tyres thrown on some turinis and stick some semi slicks on the standard wheels. Will have to convince my nan to store them in her garage permanently.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I resent spending money on anything I don't have to so I like to learn. Did them first time round myself minus the dephaser straight after I bought the car and although its a bugger getting everything off and time consuming actually timing them up isn't hard at all. The PDF is a bit s**t at explaining but it really isn't as difficult as people would have you believe.

And I'm thinking the same on the turini front. But on second thoughts I might get a track day done first, then get these tyres thrown on some turinis and stick some semi slicks on the standard wheels. Will have to convince my nan to store them in her garage permanently.

Buy some 15's for track and sack the standard wheels off. Waste on money using 16 inch rubber on track, not to mention the feel (imo) is so much better on 15's.

I'm the same with learning, if I had the clio any longer I'd have done the same!

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Buy some 15's for track and sack the standard wheels off. Waste on money using 16 inch rubber on track, not to mention the feel (imo) is so much better on 15's.

I'm the same with learning, if I had the clio any longer I'd have done the same!
Probably will. Might see if a set with track rubber and a little life left in them come up.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Quick update seeing as I've been in here to copy everything across to PH which I've not updated since before the 'ring.

Car developed a misfire a few weeks ago which is now fixed. I took the plugs out and saw it was cylinder 3 that was over fuelling. Cleaned the plugs up, swapped them round, fired it up, still missing on 3. Swapped all the leads for a spare set, still missing on 3, swapped the coil pack for a spare one I have, still missing on 3. So that left the injector.

Had a mare trying to get hold of one until someone on here got in touch from warrington to say they had one. Sent my dad to go and pick it up whilst I took the inlets and guard off etc and swapped it out when he got back. Fired it up and all was well again.

Still haven't decided on wheels yet. I'm getting to a point where I'm sick of looking at mine now so I think I might just get them refurbed in the next week or two. Maybe even this weekend.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
So my speakers have sounded like arse for a few months now and with another 'ring trip coming up I decided the ~2000 miles I'll be doing would be too much to put up with s**t sounding music.

Ordered myself some pioneer replacements and set about getting them fitted.

19567596652_1d2a64067d_z.jpg
Old Torn Speaker
by Rhys Bartley, on Flickr

19386498340_e5289daf38_z.jpg
New Speaker
by Rhys Bartley, on Flickr

No wonder they sounded ruined! I've also ordered plugs, filters, oil etc to service my car at the end of the month when I've got a week off.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Hella gay.

You good? Been quiet on here of late dude.
Been mad busy with work tbh and I've lost the love for this forum recently. The NW is too quiet and although we managed one good meet it was just a last hoorah more than anything for everyone who hadn't seen eachother in a while to meet. 90% of the attendance was through contacting people I knew from way back.

I keep meaning to come on more often but other than general chat there isn't much interesting going on. I come on and read a fair bit but can't be bothered posting.

I'll make more of an effort if I remember lol!