ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Water you can see rising from beneath...?

Clio 172 phase 1 '01
Hi, I know there are "pools of water" threads everywhere but I've looked pretty thoroughly and can't find anything to cover this, so I hope someone can help!
It's a ph1 172 and there's a big pool of water in the front passenger footwell. It was on both sides but I had the drain points unblocked (had to go to the garage because the screws were corroded in :() and the driver's side is now fine.
But when I was baling out this water yesterday, you could actually see it rising up from beneath as I removed it. It wasn't flowing in from somewhere, I mean. It was just rising! There's no damp in the boot or on rear seat. The rear floor is wet but it seems to be overflowing from the front. Certainly that's where it starts. The side carpets are dry apart from the very bottom and there's no sign of the water going down into the footwell. There's no loss of coolant and no soapy smell, so heater and screenwash not the problem. No sunroof and door seal appears fine. Please help!! I've run out of things to try.

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
Must be a hold point somewhere that's full of water and as you empty the footwell it releases the stored water. Only thing I can think of?

Clio 172 phase 1 '01
Must be a hold point somewhere that's full of water and as you empty the footwell it releases the stored water. Only thing I can think of?
I thought something like this - but what/where? What could I check?
Thanks for the ideas. The garage did do both drain holes - at least I can see they've released the screws on both sides. I trust them - they've always been really good, I've been with them 5 years now.
The water rises far too quickly to be just seeping through the carpet so it's not that.

Front scuttle panel drain is blocked... probably. Can get to it but you need to remove the wipers and the the plastic cover, in the centre there is a little hole/tube where all the water running off the widscreen drains to. When its blocked with crud the water fills this area like a little bath then spills over into the cabin, running down the front of the footwell behind the carpets.

Worth checking as a precaution even if not the cause.

Clio
Front scuttle panel drain is blocked... probably. Can get to it but you need to remove the wipers and the the plastic cover, in the centre there is a little hole/tube where all the water running off the widscreen drains to. When its blocked with crud the water fills this area like a little bath then spills over into the cabin, running down the front of the footwell behind the carpets.

Worth checking as a precaution even if not the cause.

This. I had this problem a few weeks back, cleared the drains in the scuttle and problem solved. Also you'll need to whip the interior out to let it dry, i made the mistake of leaving mine in and it took weeks to dry (and a f**k load of cleaning afterwards!)