ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio3 K4J engine 1.4 16v locking pin location

renault clio mk5
Hi, new member with a question.
I have a 2006 clio3 1.4 16v. Im trying to change cambelt water pump etc. I have the locking kit. my problem is where is the bolt hole for inserting the locking pin on the crankshaft.
I have searched youtube etc and they say its at back of engine, just reach up from underneath. I have looked but there's the starter motor there, do you have to remove starter motor to access it. no mention of doing this in instructions.
any help appreciated
Alex

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
If its the same as the MK2 with the K4J/K4M then its on the front of the engine circled here:
Untitled.jpg

remove the bolt and insert the locking pin in there

renault clio mk5
As you can see there's
IMG_9639.JPG
not much room on Clio3, I still cant see a bolt head where your picture shows...

IMG_9645.JPG
IMG_9644.JPG

chazza114

ClioSport Club Member
Here's the full service manual for the Mk.3 - https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/eeay...NUAL.pdf?rlkey=gl8hxsesnm3jjs2klot52i39d&dl=0

If you go to the pdf page 405 (11A-88 in the manual) you'll find the full guide for the timing belt on a K4J. It suggests the Mot. 1489 tool fits where Martin has shown, right down at the bottom front right of the engine block. It's a b*****d to get to, I just did the timing on my 197, so I know the struggle.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
yeah looks to me like that has a front starter where the Clio 2 has a rear starter under the exhaust manifold. so yes it will be under your starter

renault clio mk5
yeah looks to me like that has a front starter where the Clio 2 has a rear starter under the exhaust manifold. so yes it will be under your starter
I guessed that as thats the area shown in the diagram. funny how the instructions for my car don't mention the removal of the starter motor.

thanks

renault clio mk5
Thought I would update this. since doing cambelt had problems with tickover after putting engine all back together.
Managed to insert crank locking pin with starter motor in situ. The hole is literally under the starter motor and you can access is with a bit of effort, so you dont need to remove starter motor on this engine K4J 1.4L 16v.
thanks everyone for you help and Knowledge.
Alex