ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Water ingress and puddles in footwell?

Over the last few months ive had a problem with water on my floor in all the footwells after it rains in my 182, at first was told it could be the drain hole under the scuttle panel, but checked and it wasnt that.

After not being able to find out what the problem is, i booked it into renault and they have had it in water testing, got a phone call to tell me tht its coming in through my doors and behind the dash, n quoting alot of money for it to be fixed!

Was wondering if anyone else has had this problem? If i need to get it fixed i dont know if it would be best to source the parts needed myself as im sure ill be getting charged a fortune.

Suggestions, opinions or anyone experienced it?

thanks
scott

Lionel Richie
you checked both drain holes? Its either that or the bungs under the car where the seat rails bolt through the floor

Vee 6
Check the plastic bungs on the rear hatch opening ( two plastic discs that that snap into the door frame but move about ) I've popped mine out and siliconed them in on two of my cars.

The water run's down the valley at the back and enters the car here ( you can usually see watermarks inside ) Now depending how you park the car, It runs round the rear inner wheel arch down the slope under the rear seats and pools in the foot wells.

Only because one car was stripped out did i manage to find this, I think all clios will be the same.

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
if you were closer id help you you can get leaks from the heater box where it goes from outside to inside

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Check the plastic bungs on the rear hatch opening ( two plastic discs that that snap into the door frame but move about ) I've popped mine out and siliconed them in on two of my cars.

The water run's down the valley at the back and enters the car here ( you can usually see watermarks inside ) Now depending how you park the car, It runs round the rear inner wheel arch down the slope under the rear seats and pools in the foot wells.

Only because one car was stripped out did i manage to find this, I think all clios will be the same.

Any pics of that at all?

I've got the same issue I think.

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Ah yes I see them, would that really cause a leak in the front footwells though, even if everything else in between is dry though?

Vee 6
It's all how you park your car fella, My two were always parked slightly parked nose downhill and the the road has a slight camber at the kerb, after a couple of days of rain the passengers footwell was a pond. It came in at the back and the water followed the seam sealer around the inside of the car and dropped into the footwell ( the lowest point in the car )

It's not the only way water can get in but i had exhausted all the others looking for it. Even working at Saab we would have cars in for days looking for water ingress and unless you could mimic the exact circumstances the customers had we would usually find nothing. For the sake of 5'mins and a blob of silicon it's worth doing. ( even to just rule it out )

The hardest thing is thinking about what the water is doing, Throw a bucket of water on the roof and see how much water collects in the roof cutter and flows down that rear gully.

Last edited:
Ive checked the 2 drain holes and they are clear, renault has had a look, and are telling me that they need to remove the dash, and doors and replace seals?

They are quoting alot of money and cant promise it will be fixed, near £700 for checking it, stripping it out and fixing it, just feel im being slightly mugged!

It was originally just the driver footwell but with parking on slopes etc its moved around the other footwells.

thanks all

172 Ph1
I once came home from leaving the car for 2 weeks standing while on hols, both front foot wells were full of water. Cut a long story short , the cause was the centre heater bulkhead drain tube blocked situated under wiper trim. Full of leaves, so I threw it away and not had any problems since. You can pull it out very easily it's just to the left of the coolant bottle behind heat shield padding