ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Water in foot wells,help needed

182,golf vr6,206gti
I am having a problem,I have just brought another Clio 172 2003 model.Since our beautiful English weather over the last couple of days I have noticed significant pools of water in my drivers side front a rear footwell,also the rear passenger side footwell but not front.Car doesn't have sunroof,I dont think its heater matrix as fans and heaters work fine and it smells like rainwater.A quick search online has highlighted the front scuttle drainage as a potential problem.I had the scuttle off today but couldn't for the life of me see any drainage holes.At my wits end,any photos or help would be much appreciated

Looking....
20151218_101048.jpg

This is the drivers side. There is one passengers side under the windscreen washer bottle and one in centre.
The centre one is probably the issue. As a tempery fix, if you can locate the rubber drain pipe thats half way down behind the engine and get some wire and try and dislodge the chap and allow to drain. Then have a proper clean when the weather improves. You can also get to both the drains either side via the wheel arch.

182,golf vr6,206gti
Thanks for replying,I did manage to locate the 2 grommets/drain plugs behind both front wheel arch liners.both seemed in tact and no water drained when I removed them.I cant see the middle one (the one behind the engine)at all.Is there's anyone in the Herts beds or bucks area that could solve this for beer tokens as the weather is looking bleak and its going to fill footwells up again

182,golf vr6,206gti
I cant find this rubber drain pipe behind the engine anywhere and its beginning to hammer it down now .

Looking....
It's a bit of a faff but if you lean in, get behind the sound proofing half way down the back of the block there SHOULD be a rubber drain pipe. I say should because I know of someone who had the same problem just ripped his out.

182,golf vr6,206gti
Thanks guys,I will have to check in the morning.its hammering it down here so will probably be a foot of water to greet me in the morn

Clio 172
I found a damp floor in my phase 2 today, I was underneath polybushing the doggy bone and the flap that's at the bottom of the drainage tube was stuck shut! Opened it up, got covered in horrid brown water as a whole heap came out!

182,golf vr6,206gti
Thanks for the reply mate,this centre drain pipe is the holy grail that I cant find.it seems its what's causing the problem but I cant find it.Also the flooding is nit actually in the front footwells.its I directly under the seat and in rear footwell.i am stumped.i will remove seats and carpet tonight and try and see what's going on but if not its going to garage

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for the reply mate,this centre drain pipe is the holy grail that I cant find.it seems its what's causing the problem but I cant find it.Also the flooding is nit actually in the front footwells.its I directly under the seat and in rear footwell.i am stumped.i will remove seats and carpet tonight and try and see what's going on but if not its going to garage

Is the boot carpet dry? Quite often soaks through there and moves forward.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
To dry the inside, put a large bowl (washing up bowl or similar) of rice (2kg) in the car and leave it in there, it'll dry that sucker out in no time.

182,golf vr6,206gti
boot has a hard plastic insert (no carpet) but appears dry in there.I will use rice in the car sounds like a good way to dry it out lol.could i just not remove carpet and sound deadening and drill a few small holes to allow any water that does get in to drain out?surely that could work.im only thinking that as i really cant find the source,i only know what isnt causing it.

182,golf vr6,206gti
Thanks amos91 I have already had archliners off and cleaned behind them, and checked sills.ive almost given up on solving the problem[ now.its going to garage tomorrow.if they cant find where the water is coming from I will have to try and find a way to live with it

182,golf vr6,206gti
hemel hempstead 20 mins north of london.would happily travel to get it sorted if somebody is in the know

Looking....
A bit far from me.
Get the scuttle off again and have a go at the middle drain from there.
Can't remember if it was from drivers or passengers side but it can be done.

Renault Clio 182 Cup
I had this problem but in the front footwells mainly, there was about 3 inches deep of water in there. Didn't bother sorting it, just drilled some holes at the lowest point and lined the bottom of the sound proofing with polythene making sure it was tucked right up under the dash and haven't had a problem since, not even damp carpet or sound proofing.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk