ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Virgin Broadband

2004 1.2 Dynamique
Currently with pipex been with them for about 2 years and pay about 22.99 for 2gb connection with unlimited downloads

Thinking about changing to Virgin as i've just been on their webpage and they are doing 8gb with unlimited downloads for 17.99 a month is anyone else on this package if so whats it like?

Not a Clio
Think you mean Mb not gb ;)

Looks like a good price, not sure about their service though... try google.

Have you checked what speed your line can handle?

TeZ

Non RS : (
was on the news today about how are country is sooooo behind on broadband, ive got BT but Virgin and SKy are prob beter atm , but depends if your running cable or wireless?, i want a T3 connection boo hoo :(

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Their service is excellent IMO. I know it as Telewest/Blueyonder but its all the same VM now.

There isnt a line speed, if they say 8mbit thats what you will (should) get ! Its not like adsl.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
was on the news today about how are country is sooooo behind on broadband, ive got BT but Virgin and SKy are prob beter atm , but depends if your running cable or wireless?, i want a T3 connection boo hoo :(

I would disagree with that. The UK has gone from 56k to 10mbit in a few years. We were very very behind with regards to connectivity, I would say we are near the front now.

If they sorted the upload speed caps we would certainly be up there with the best of them. I think countries like Japan have it sorted though with regards to internet and wifi access.

TeZ

def , but 10 mbit, is poo, not just download im moaning at i want better upload for hosting games and stuff, fed up with inconsistant devices, we need 50mbit + really, US is able to get 100mbit and my mates in HK get a standerd of 100mbit and u can pay for upto 1G

TeZ

yea i run usual Ethernet from modem to PC wirelss to Xbox360 and MAc i got 8meg and unlimited but sometime i only get 6 GRRR

Not a Clio

Their service is excellent IMO. I know it as Telewest/Blueyonder but its all the same VM now.

There isnt a line speed, if they say 8mbit thats what you will (should) get ! Its not like adsl.

The price he mentioned was for non-cable, which is why I asked about line speed. ;)

Megane DCi 147bhp/350nwm
Virgin are top notch - any downtime longer than something like 24hours and they reimburse you most of your montly charge!

my tv was on and off for about 24hours and they charged be £5 for a month as apposed to £40!

a burnt one

I would disagree with that. The UK has gone from 56k to 10mbit in a few years. We were very very behind with regards to connectivity, I would say we are near the front now.

If they sorted the upload speed caps we would certainly be up there with the best of them. I think countries like Japan have it sorted though with regards to internet and wifi access.

But the news says France and germany are able to offer customers broadband connections of 50mb, the uk is way behind, theres no point in matching speeds countries had years ago then leaving it at that, France, Germany and even South Korea's government are investing billions in Broadband as they see it as the way forward.

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
I would also say Britain as a whole, is way down the ladder in regards to BB-speeds/connectivity, in comparison with other developed countries.

172 Cup
I would also say Britain as a whole, is way down the ladder in regards to BB-speeds/connectivity, in comparison with other developed countries.

Far from it.

Taking the average speed available to consumers as a whole the UK is in the top 5 and only marginally behind countries like Japan.

Far too many people see these headline grabbing speeds available in Japan, Sweden, USA etc and forget that less than 1% of the population can achieve this. The average man on the street will be using a connection very very similar to those available in this country.

2004 1.2 Dynamique

The price he mentioned was for non-cable, which is why I asked about line speed. ;)

What do you mean for non cable? So I wont be able to use my wireless on it? :S

Not a Clio

What do you mean for non cable? So I wont be able to use my wireless on it? :S

lol

non-cable = ADSL

The price you gave was for their non-cable (ADSL) service, so I assumed you were not in a cabled area.

Virgin offer broadband via ADSL and broadband via Cable

If you are in a cable area then you could have the cable service, if you aren't then you would have to choose the non-cable service.

This has nothing to do with whether you use wireless or ethernet.

Revels Mum & Sister
I have Virgin Broadband I got it with the talk package for 14.99

Cant complain to be honest. I only get 1.6MB because of my line length, but I get a solid 130KB sec all the time.

Old man has it as well. His is nailed at 8MB and downloads are strong most of the time as well

2004 1.2 Dynamique
Yessss result

Rung Pipex for a MAC code, basically told him I was going to migrate to Virgin 8mb unlimited for 17.99 a month, so he said he can do me that for 14.99 a month so got it with pipex for 14.99 a month

As father and son....

pish posh if you think we're anywhear near the front. Saying we've gone from 56K to 10mbit is hardly anything to shout about. Functional 10mbit is the exception rather than the norm, and the connections themselves are still asynchronous, i cant wait to hammer that 256k upload woo woo. If you wanna see a country get it right, check out the Skandies. They had cheap bonded ISDN lines when we were still farting around on 28.8 and are still a country mile ahead of us in terms of pricing, quality, differentiation of services and synchronous connection speeds.

Incidentally a friend of mine just got Virgin BB and has had no end of problems, steer clear.