ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

v6 or r26.r

MCS R56
You think I am. Maybe it's the lack of smiley faces or something. Is it, if you don't agree, then you are trolling?

Well as a good Admin, show me my errors so I can learn and become part of the community, please.

Clio 200 Cup
I've had both..J30SPT "The Black Frog", an '05 255 V6 and J20TRS, Black Frog II , an '09 R26R. Liked the R a lot, but absolutely loved the Vee. If I had a spare £16k, I'd buy it back (from the guy who now has it up for sale on Pistonheads) to sit alongside my soon to arrive RS200 on the driveway..BF

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Vee pro's
-Looks brilliant
-Unique
-Sound great
-All of the above mean that when driving normally, it's fantastic
-Love the gearshift
-Big engine behind you
-Grip

Cons
-Not as quick as you'd hope
-Given the pace, the fuel economy is laughable (iirc Riz was getting very low 20's, spending a lot of time on mway) (and the ins group, tyre costs, brake costs etc)
-When the grip runs out, or if you get it off balance (ie a lift when in a corner) it feels lethal. Rwd, short wb, mass at the wrong end. Not friendly in the slightest!

Now the -ve's may fade when you live with the car, as owner's say. But I'm not willing to dump a lump of cash on a car I 'might' get used to and really enjoy. What if I don't? I'm left with an expensive toy, that's a cnut to insure, and does 18mpg if I think about driving in a spirited manner.

Not for me, but I get the appeal.

Warren, in reality, 20mph for a 3.0l+ car is not that bad (Urban) I get roughly the same in both the M and V6. 18-20. You can't incl. MPG in this arguement. Also handling, and i appreciate that you have driven one, but again they are not nearly as bad as you're making them out to be. Even on OEM suspension the point where you feel it's lethal is when you know it's down to you, and your own abilities. Sorry. Truth! I've done numerous track days in mine incl under 9min at the ring. A decent time for a car perceived to be "Lethal"

The rest of your points are fairly valid, bar insurance as you live in Basra.

Not baiting, mate, I was simply wanting to know what was amazing...

I'll give you the noise but amazing?! A Carrera GT sounds amazing!

I don't find them amazing in any sense.

Rare - yes, for a reason. Not really amazing.
There are communities for enthusiasts in every form of vehicle these days - not amazing.
Capable road and track - fair enough but the R26 is even more so, so not amazing.
Comfortable - debatable, based on my Clio experience and it not being a comfortable place to be (driving aside). Again, not amazing.
A 3 litre V6 in a small car - should be amazing but really doesn't push the performance limits other than a decent top speed but I reckon they are faster than people give credit for. So, not amazing!

I know you love them but that list does not make me want one when compared with the Megane. It's perfectly acceptable for people to like them but I see nothing amazing about them. Maybe the bravery to make them. Should I continue...?!

Gaz, lol, piss off! I know as soon as i see you post that it'll be some overcritical comment. So you don't like them! Big deal, nor does my misses, infact she's got to indure the "chav mobile" for 3hrs tonite when i drive it down to glasgow for the winter! She doesn't like it for the way it looks. Fine, thats her opinion, much like some of the view points above, it's a marmite car!

What you lack is the ability to understand why some people like the car...It's just outwith your comprehension!! All of the comments i made above are IMO what make the clio so amazing. The reasons justify why i've done 20k miles in it and why i've still got it when i could of sold it for any number of sportscars. You need to grasp this reason!

You've never driven the car, you are entitled to an opinion but you come accross a right fanbelt everytime you try and correct peoples opinions of them!! Do not continue.

MCS R56
Ali, you crack me up with the crap you write when defending the Vee, which is all you do. Clearly, I've not got the 'CS' touch of writing in order not to hurt peoples' feelings about their cars and to be honest, I really don't care. I understand why people like them and I can clearly see why you have one.

CS - go f u c k yourselves! It's been fun wasting your time.

Please ban me!!

Clio 200 Cup
"I've had both..J30SPT "The Black Frog", an '05 255 V6 and J20TRS, Black Frog II , an '09 R26R. Liked the R a lot, but absolutely loved the Vee. If I had a spare £16k, I'd buy it back (from the guy who now has it up for sale on Pistonheads) to sit alongside my soon to arrive RS200 on the driveway..BF
Re: v6 or r26.r

How did the 200 compare to those 'Renault icons' during the test drive?"

KMB,

Actually the 200 was great.

Obviously not as extreme and a chunk slower than either of the others, but so well balanced, comfortable and quick enough to be interesting. I did a 40 minute test drive, covering A's, B's and a little M23 run (thanks Richard @ CDG!) and felt immediately at home in the test FF 200 with Cup chassis. In fact even though it was streaming wet, confidence to push came as soon as the B road's arrived. Very strong cornering grip, good traction, enough punch between corners - gearing is spot on - and the brakes were, straight from the box, as good as the set up on my Vee and I'd say better than those on the R. I'd made my mind up within 5 miles.

I'm also a great fan of the normal aspro engine (having previously had the Vee, an '01 Civic Type R 2 litre screamer, the smooth punchy Yamaha built 1.7 in a Puma and a number of thundering Rover V8's) and the 200's is great little unit: punchy, has an immediacy and a nice noise when pushing on. Not of the magnitude of the Vee in any of those measures, but pretty damn good. And in such a compact car, it does the job.

200 is an entirely different drive to the Vee from a chassis dynamics point of view. In absolute terms and in terms of usability on our typical roads, the 200 is probably better, but if you get inside the Vee and tweak it a little, the old beasty can be driven with proper gusto without fear of incident and with a lot of enjoyment.

Mine ran K&W coilovers, was lowered, fitted with Toyo's and set up properly. Old fashioned rear wheel drive - slow(er) into a corner, power (285bhp) on just through the apex and hard out with, if you wanted, a slight degree of oppo when the road was wet. It never threw me off or even got close in 28,500 hard miles. Plenty of 45 degree moments, but all within easy collection and adjustable from the right foot. And the noise from the Janspeed exhaust was awesome..and too loud for Goodwood track days...and the Mrs!!

The R was really a great car, but in a way, dynamically too good for everyday driving - you needed to be at 100% for it to really come alive and frankly those occasions were few and far between during the time I had the car (I rarely get to use the car in the week - commute to City by train).

The chassis was so clearly superbly competent..great ride, handling balance...I ran the 888's and in the dry on an empty road, Sunday morning blat for example, it was truly epic.

However, day to day, it just lacked the get up and go I was used to from the Vee..journey times were not vastly different overall as you'd carry a lot more speed, pretty much everywhere because the chassis was so good, but it was just so much less of an occasion. Dare I say, it would have been more enjoyable had it not been so efficient at being quick?!

And in the wet, I never really got to the point where I knew what it was going to do, so I suppose I lacked a little confidence in it. I expect things would have been different if I'd spent more time in it and/or had some Michelin's on it, but I still don't think I would have truly loved the car, just because of the engine, which was really a disappointment to me.

And sometimes it felt a bit big and van like. Carbon seats, belts and a roll cage were not an issue for me though and as mine had basic aircon and a radio, it was easily liveable with day:day. It was however, the worst built RS I've had. It leaked constantly (door membranes) and needed a new gearbox @ 3,500 miles due to a manufacturing fault.

At the end of the day I never jelled with it.

The 200's size, aspro engine, spot on chassis and brakes make it exactly what I need for now and very relevant to todays driving environment...And of course, I can get more than 2 people in the 200...

Looking forward to 20/12/10....a lot (it's a Cup, in RB, with Black Speedlines and aircon)

BF

Clio 200 Cup
This, the old Frog, is still advertised on Pistonheads....

**************************************************************************************

j30 spt the black frog clio v6 24 valve 255 (2005)
34,000 miles £16,000

For sale is my well known amongst v6 owners, loved and well cared for vee.

it looks like arnold schwarzeclio.

metalic black and gold
12 months m.o.t
only 34.000 all warranted miles
brand new carbon bonnet
toyo tyres
clear engine cover
gold calipers
ktr full exhaust system
ktr full coilover suspension
ktr ecu full remap to 285 bhp
ktr induction kit
ktr red stuff brakes and dics
ktr uprated brake lines
satin black side pods and wheels
full service history
tracker fitted and working
cherished plate included
garage kept since new
only 2 former keepers

just had cam belt and service done by the main dealer.

service file is full of old reciepts mounting to 1000's comes with 2 keys.

this car is one of the best looking street cars on the road and gathers a crowd wherever it goes and its simply stunning in condition and wants for nothing, just dont get the time to use it.

I have loads more pics of the car, so if you require them i'l forward them via e-mail.

V6 255
I love em both, but have a blast in a r26.r with a ti exhaust and, for me, there's only one I'd buy

I'd be too scared of other people in the vee (the uneducated, mums in car parks, teenagers), whereas if people recognise the .r it's cos there in 'the know' and, dare I say it, give it a bit more respect

I'd be happy if santa dropped either onto my drive this xmas tbh

KMB

Clio 200 Cup
Nice edcuated comments and reviews from Black Frog - Thanks for the time and effort :cool:

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
i watched a silver v6 spin right infront of me on the first corner at silverstone on the first lap after the pace car went in....what a clownshoe

v6 for posing (i would be scared of getting stone chips etc) and r26r for driving hard

Clio 200 Cup
My pleasure KMB!

Roystinho - my R was Deep Black, Black Wheels, No decals, Toyo's, Cage, Ti exhaust and air, with after market radio/speakers. No.159. Agree, nice noise from the ti..sort of Darth Vader at Speed....

Also know what you mean about carpark ignorance..that was partly why I got rid of the Vee..well that and 16mpg..Vee body bits are becoming expensive and harder to get (waiting 5mths for a front spoiler did it for me).

Would still have an R in the stable for the those "high" dry days though...and maybe get some work done on the engine to bring it up to scratch....

BF