ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

using too much fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
  Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Lol.

Actually I do have a good excuse why this is taking so long...!

Laptop seems to have not charged over night and was on 10% when I started down the road. And I wanted to have that running so I came back and its on charge. When its @ 50% i will go back out again.

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Yea mate I know, just been hard to find the hour free to do this and wanted to take laptop with rstuner logging data too. Makes sense to do it all at once.

Don't forget it's 5 mins to motorway then 10 mins test then anything from 5 to 10 mins to get off motorway then back again and 5 more back home.

It's close to 45 mins haha

Bloody laptop is at 30% my fault for not charging it as often as required!

Bare with me ! Sorry I'm over complicating things ;(

looks like the map sensor is causing an issue as idle is higher than normal... I though I fixed an air leak but now it's back? Grrrr

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Hey

Just got back.

Turned out to be a long trip in the car as the wife wanted to see her parents and get some dinner so was out for a while.

Anyway I did various tests as I had the opportunity.

My results:
10Min @ 64MPH = 42.8MPG
10Min @ 66MPH = 41.6MPG
10Min @ 70MPH = 39.2MPG

The M69 is by no means flat, but it only dipped below 40MPG once @ 66MPH when going uphill.

Unfortunately the RStuner didnt save my live data, But i have the Min / Max figures of various things.

Engine Speed: Min: 490 / Max: 4743
Fuel Consumption: Min: 0 / Max: 23.11L/H
Fuel Trim(offset): Min: 134 / Max: 134
Fuel Trim(Short Term): Min: 7 / Max: 166
Fuel Trim Gain(Long term): Min: 104 / Max: 110
Pre cat Lambda: Min: 0.0 / Max: 956.48

Now I plan to redo this and get a decent Live log going if it helps.

I had done 31Miles when i got back and went back to the garage to refill for fun, and i managed to get in 3.76L before the click. Which for my maths = 37.80MPG

I will do 100 miles then refill @ Esso and see what it gives me @ the pump.

Can a new Map sensor fix an issue like mine?

Ok, well those figures look fine tbh.

If you were at 60 you'd be around 43-45mpg which sounds perfect for the 1*2.

Now I'm real confused how you only get 100 miles to a tank, someone is either having a laugh by stealing your fuel, or the tank is leaking or something.

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Hi addicted.
It was 100 miles at first but after having belts done it's 230 to 280 miles per tank.

which is far below the 350+ I should be getting.

I'm hoping the new map sensor may have a hand in helping and will find out in 100 miles when I refill.

997.1, Caddy, e208
No matter how many times my 1*2 says 350-270 miles per tank I never get it.

It's when I have 259 left @ 50% that makes me marvel at French electronic systems

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
All depends on the driving you do. I do 7 miles to and from work each day, takes 20-30 minutes because of stop start traffic.

I average around 23-24mpg doing this. The car isn't broke, I'm not driving incorrectly, it's just that s**t of a journey. If you don't really drive the clio much and just go to the shops in it etc you'll soon find that the mpg will be silly low.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
All depends on the driving you do. I do 7 miles to and from work each day, takes 20-30 minutes because of stop start traffic.

I average around 23-24mpg doing this. The car isn't broke, I'm not driving incorrectly, it's just that s**t of a journey. If you don't really drive the clio much and just go to the shops in it etc you'll soon find that the mpg will be silly low.
Yup!
My wife's passat (1.9tdi) does around 28/29mpg when she has it. Mainly because she does short ( 2 mile max ) journeys in it. I've just driven it to Devon, fully loaded with luggage and 4 people and it did 47mpg.

So if diagros test was ok (which it seems to be) it's his journeys that are causing s**t mpg not a broken car.

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Yup!
My wife's passat (1.9tdi) does around 28/29mpg when she has it. Mainly because she does short ( 2 mile max ) journeys in it. I've just driven it to Devon, fully loaded with luggage and 4 people and it did 47mpg.

So if diagros test was ok (which it seems to be) it's his journeys that are causing s**t mpg not a broken car.

i do 44 miles a day.
35 of those are motorway at 70 mph.
Rest is town traffic or some stop start

if it was all town I wouldn't mind too much, but when 3/4 is motorway it's kinda showing me an issue

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
i do 44 miles a day.
35 of those are motorway at 70 mph.
Rest is town traffic or some stop start

if it was all town I wouldn't mind too much, but when 3/4 is motorway it's kinda showing me an issue

Tbf I'd say a good 70% of my work journey is motorway. 7 miles there, 1 mile ish to get to the motorway with 4 sets of traffic lights (ALWAYS ON RED!!) then a junction on the motorway whilst the car really isn't up to temp, then another mile and a bit with 8 sets of lights. Plus my mpg is trip computer only and we all know that they over read.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Hi addicted.
It was 100 miles at first but after having belts done it's 230 to 280 miles per tank.

which is far below the 350+ I should be getting.

I'm hoping the new map sensor may have a hand in helping and will find out in 100 miles when I refill.

Sounds normal. You'd have to be really trying to get 350 miles to a tank in a 172.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
I have the same situation. My commute is only 7 miles. 5.5 miles of motorway the rest town. I average between 20 and 22 mpg. Yet if I go on a journey of say 50 miles, mainly motorway/ dual carridgeway then I can get 40+mpg.

It's purely down to the journey and how I drive. I know my car is fine as I can achieve 40+ when I want to.

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
It all depends on driving style, for all we know you maybe ragging it and constantly braking/accelerating.

If you can get 40mpg on the test, can't see what the issue would be tbh.

The computer says 40mpg, but my point is at the pump this is incorrect lol.

Jeff simply
the tank is 50l mate or 11ish gallons

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Really?!

Mine says I can do X miles right before the low fuel light comes on. Where X is my MPG which gives the impression that there's 1 gallon left when the light comes on.. And I've never managed to put more than 42/43 litres in my Ph1. I'm assuming all Clio tanks are the same size too...

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
My Clio only ever achieved 350 miles to a tank, on the drive to Germany. That was a WHOLE tank of 70mph with the odd burst here and there. So unless your sat at 60-70mph for the whole tank of fuel, you won't get 350 miles.

You've done the test, and the conclusion is....there f**k all wrong with your car lol

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
My Clio only ever achieved 350 miles to a tank, on the drive to Germany. That was a WHOLE tank of 70mph with the odd burst here and there. So unless your sat at 60-70mph for the whole tank of fuel, you won't get 350 miles.

You've done the test, and the conclusion is....there f**k all wrong with your car lol

WHat MPG did the computer give on that trip? as that's approx 31MPG Still not the combined rating of 35 renault spouts.

250-300 miles per tank I'd say is normal use tbh.

That's what I got over the 4 years of ownership, and I used to top up 40 or 45 quid every single time, so it wasn't even a full tank!

SO you think that 22 - 27MPG is fine? I dont think its fine, especially when the car is telling me i'm getting 35-38MPG lol

WHat MPG did the computer give on that trip? as that's approx 31MPG Still not the combined rating of 35 renault spouts.

SO you think that 22 - 27MPG is fine? I dont think its fine, especially when the car is telling me i'm getting 35-38MPG lol

As I said previously, it maybe down to how you drive? (how do you drive?)

The test has shown that nothing is wrong with your MPG on a run, so I can't see how anything would affect it during a normal drive to work? Are you constantly stop-starting, do you brake heavily and accelerate back up again?

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
As I said previously, it maybe down to how you drive? (how do you drive?)

The test has shown that nothing is wrong with your MPG on a run, so I can't see how anything would affect it during a normal drive to work? Are you constantly stop-starting, do you brake heavily and accelerate back up again?

I have driven it in various styles to test the MPG thing.

I have driven it carefully, in the sense that I brake slowly and accelerate slowly, Taking care not to rev the engine too much. Some days ye i push the clio as im late, but thats only when at the lights and get up to speed and then its a good run at 70.

The test has shown the car will show 40+mpg, But not what the car actually has shown @ the pump after.

I am planning a couple of hour trip this week so stick @ 70Mph and then come back and refill at the exact same pump and see what the Fuel usage is. I think that's going to be the only way to see what it actually gets :/

Status
Not open for further replies.