ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Used Clio Trophy 220 reliability

Renault Clio
Hi everybody.
Recently, I had my Fiesta ST Mountune stolen and I have put a deposit down on a Clio Trophy 220. It is used and has about 5K on the clock. Since I have done this though I have been worrying about the previous owner. Three alloys were curbed and there was a scratch on the rear passenger door - basically didn't look cared for.
Apparently it was owned by a guy who works in the Renault service department called 'Mo'. My main worry is the run in period and the clutch - if he's been driving it like a looney and the clutch goes I'm going to have a big bill to foot.
Do you think it will be ok? It's got 3 years and 3 months warranty left but the clutch probably won't be covered and can't afford 16 grand for a car only to pay another 2 for a new clutch.
Renault are going to recondition the wheels and have the scratch sorted with a re-spray.
Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Darren61

ClioSport Club Member
I guess you'll never really know how it's actually been driven for those 5k miles. And in that respect I would say don't worry about it because you just don't know.

The other way of looking at it is that with a car that's got a performance edge, you can be sure that at some point, the owner will have given it a good blast and revved it out. That just comes with the territory of buying a 'hot hatch'

I'd feel comfortable with the warranty personally. I think you're in a position to get Renault to fix the small issues you've noticed. But try not to worry about how hard it has or indeed hasn't been driven. I'm sure it will be a great car!

Civic type r fk8
This reminds of about running in cars, people go on about it but when you buy used you never give it and second thought, by the way i had the same idea about the clutch but 9000 miles in touch wood it's happy days. Any questions fire away

2014 Clio 200t edc
I'm sure the diagnostic can read how many times the launch control has been activated, might be worth asking. I wouldn't worry about anything, 3 years warranty and 3 years breakdown cover included. Just enjoy it mate, wish I could get one!!

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
IMG_1153.JPG
I've had no issues with my Trophy which has done 6k miles now 65 plate, you only have to touch the alloys and they look kerbed, make sure it has Michelin super sports alround. I've done a couple of track days in mine and after I changed the oil and filter, checked brakes it's been fine. If you have a track monitor select sport mode you can change you settings in car setup, steering from n to s and throttle to extreme. If you need any further advice don't hesitate to contact me :smile:

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
I echo the above regarding the alloys, they have zero protection, so much as going near a kerb and they are damaged.
Don't trust the reverse cameras when it comes to reversing near a kerb, I learned the hard way 2 weeks after buying mine.
The book advises 600 miles to run in - not many miles by all regards.

Renault Clio
Thank you for all of your replies. I have noticed other 220s, but this is the cheapest by a few hundred pounds.
I phoned the dealership today and asked to speak to the guy who owned the car before - bit OTT but I wanted to put my mind at rest.
He said it's his third RS, he never used the paddles and never launched it. He reckoned the curbing was from parking and the car got keyed. He sounded genuine enough.
The front tyres had a fair amount of wear around the outside too. Not sure if this is from tyre pressure or taking corners too fast.
Even if it has been ragged, I will probably only keep it until 40000 miles - reckon it will survive?
Also, what should I do if it doesn't have those tyres? Can't remember what was on it tbh.

Ash

2014 Clio 200t edc
Thank you for all of your replies. I have noticed other 220s, but this is the cheapest by a few hundred pounds.
I phoned the dealership today and asked to speak to the guy who owned the car before - bit OTT but I wanted to put my mind at rest.
He said it's his third RS, he never used the paddles and never launched it. He reckoned the curbing was from parking and the car got keyed. He sounded genuine enough.
The front tyres had a fair amount of wear around the outside too. Not sure if this is from tyre pressure or taking corners too fast.
Even if it has been ragged, I will probably only keep it until 40000 miles - reckon it will survive?
Also, what should I do if it doesn't have those tyres? Can't remember what was on it tbh.

Ash
Sounds good then. Doubt he would lie really, because he works at the garage your buying from. Any problems you go back there and have it fixed, plus then they will see that it was caused by the previous owner.
Reference the tyres, ask them to replace the ones that are worn if they are bad. Although if it's just scrubbing it will be fine. Maybe ask them to check the alignment?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Why would the clutch be worn? I bet the clutch on a DCT car that's used LC a hundred times is in better condition than the average manual geared car with a normal driver slipping the clutch at every opportunity.

Renault Clio
Yeah I will ask about the allignment. I would hope it would still be on its first set of tyres so they should be Michelins - is this something I should query?
As for my clutch concern, I think it's because it is a 'consumable' part that isn't covered by warranty (or am I wrong?). TBH, other than performance figures, and the way cars look I don't know that much about cars and their components. I just want something smallish that sticks to the road and will be worry free motoring for a few years.

Thanks again for your help.

Ash

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
IMG_1156.JPG

Ash
The michelins look like that, it's just the tread pattern, they are very grippy when they get warm. I' never used launch control or paddles after a while you forget all about changing gear manually. The preface lift ones are numbered as well. :)

Clio 220 Trophy 1051
I wouldn't worry, mines done almost 5k miles now and its still a new car tbh, it hasn't changed one bit in almost 5k miles.....apart from its a bit quicker and a bit more economical.
They are brilliant cars, I don't think you will be disappointed.
Be interested to see how you think it compares to the st, I almost brought an st myself, I had 2 test drives and was ready to sign on the dotted line, but then I test drove a trophy and that was it, i never looked back.
I cant see launch control will have been used extensively, you just don't bother, ive used it 3 times and that was only to learn how to use it, I never use launch normally, and I bet most folk are the same, you just don't need it, and if the conditions aren't ideal its a waste of time anyway because it will just wheel spin.
If you need new tyres id definitely say go for the o.e tyres again, they are superb, the grip on dry warm roads is addictive, makes corners great fun.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Reckon it will survive 40k???

Id bloody hope so, any serviced correctly car should do 200k without any serious trouble in my opinion.

Renault Clio
I've stopped worrying as much now. It's having the wheels sorted and that scratch I mentioned and should be ready for me to 'inspect' on Monday. Then, just to get them to put it through the garage to check it over and do a service.
The guy selling it me said that 'according to the online service information, it is 12500 per service and does not need doing every year - if this is the case it would be great as I'd be doing 6000 miles per year max.
Also, I was speaking to a copper who comes into my place of work the other day - he said that I will be pulling my hair out driving around town because of the clutch - in my (short) test drive it seemed fine though.
These white RS Clios you have posted look ace! Can't wait now :)

Civic type r fk8
Why would you be pulling your hair out because of the clutch , should be easier ,I definitely don't miss a clutch pedal. You will love it.

Renault Clio
He was just slagging Renaults off more generally to be honest. He reckoned that I would be leaving a gap in front of me to avoid rear ending someone...
Do you use the paddles much? or are they just a 'toy'?

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
IMG_1163.JPG
He was just slagging Renaults off more generally to be honest. He reckoned that I would be leaving a gap in front of me to avoid rear ending someone...
Never use mine, even on track the gearbox appears to change down or hold as required, what colour is yours @ashleythe3rd

Renault Clio
Black, the same as yours! Sure it's got different alloys though... the advert has gone down off auto trader so I can't check.
What is the standard kit? I should have probably checked all this before I bought it. Sure it had satnav and rear camera; it didn't have leather seats I know that much.

Clio 220 Trophy 1051
clutch comment makes no sense to me at all.........just confused by that!

I use the paddles in race mode quite often but then I don't do many miles, so when i do get to drive I'm usually enjoying the car, and for me its at its best in race mode.
if I drove it everyday I might just leave it in auto more often, but tbh I love race mode and paddle shifting.

Civic type r fk8
I use the paddles often, like when I'm going to over take I might click down twice then go :)

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I've stopped worrying as much now. It's having the wheels sorted and that scratch I mentioned and should be ready for me to 'inspect' on Monday. Then, just to get them to put it through the garage to check it over and do a service.
The guy selling it me said that 'according to the online service information, it is 12500 per service and does not need doing every year - if this is the case it would be great as I'd be doing 6000 miles per year max.
Also, I was speaking to a copper who comes into my place of work the other day - he said that I will be pulling my hair out driving around town because of the clutch - in my (short) test drive it seemed fine though.
These white RS Clios you have posted look ace! Can't wait now :smile:

Because of the clutch? Its a f**king auto?!!

At a minimum, i service cars once a year or every 12k.

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
This saddens me, greatly. Driving a car around a track without even changing gear yourself.

Oh, and, Mo' clio, Mo' problems :tongueout:
Gives you a chance to wave as you go by :smile: Mr Townsend uses them on track, you hang on tight :)

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I'm really confused by the Clutch concerns? even if the 5,000 miles have all been done on a quarter mile track, I bet the car with launch control wears the clutch a lot better than any of us doing a launch in a proper, I mean older clio RS.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Surely if the clutch failed on one of these at low mileage you would have a perfectly legitimate warrenty claim as ots not like you have any control over it? They can't say you've been riding it instead of using the hand brake like you could a manual.
As for rear ending people or sounds like your copper is confusing the clutch with the brakes[emoji38].

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
One thing I would say when you collect the car, check the tyre pressures. I checked mine before a long journey by chance, they were all set to 45psi... They take 30r/36f

Also regarding the clutches, they should last the life of the car and have been shown to take increased power from a larger turbo and more torque without issues. Honestly wouldn't let it concern you.

Renault Clio
Sooo, I picked up the car yesterday. It sticks to the road so well. More confidence inspiring than my ST 215. Not sure if it's the tyres or the car itself but a spin in the damp last night was so much fun.
Still getting used to the auto clutch though and the car cuts out at the traffic lights sometimes.
As for gear changes, is it usual to drive it around in auto and just change gear if you think the car is in the wrong one? It is dangerously quick. Floored it yesterday, looked at speedo expecting to be doing 45 and I was at 60!

There is still a couple of scratches that were supposed to have been repaired - when I picked it up I was too excited and didn't notice them :(.

2014 Clio 200t edc
Congrats mate! I'm very jealous of you, would love one!! I think the cutting out is the start stop system, wish you could turn them off completely!
Get some pictures up please

Civic type r fk8
Has start stop, change gear when you like, it then goes into manual mode for 30 seconds, what is power like compared to the fiesta?
Enjoy

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
Yeah it's the start stop, it disables when in sport/race. There's a button on the right to disable it outright. You can stand on the brake with just enough force to hold the car and it won't kick in, press the brake down more and the system will kick in.

The gearbox is down to you really and how you want to drive, auto is fine for cruising - it'll limit pedal Input to keep the car reasonable, at the bottom of the pedal there's an extra bit of travel which you use if you need to get around people (it's basically an overtake button, it'll drop cogs and floor it)
I don't find myself using sport auto much, holds onto the revs too much for my liking, perfect for track though. Majority of the time I'm in race and use the paddles, I find the exhaust pops more in race.

Will take you a few days to get to grips with it, but once you've gotten up to speed, it's a blast. Agreed the speed is dangerous to licence, it doesn't "feel" fast but it is.

Pedal mapping is a nice change to make if you have the RS monitor fitted, open the monitor and press the + bottom on the bottom, change settings and select pedal map. It's set to snow by default when in sport. I've got mine set to sport, extreme is a bit much for my liking.
Also be sure to check your pressures, it really affects the handling if they are up where mine where at from the factory.

Last edited:
  Clio 220 Trophy 1051
has it got the o.e Michelin pilot super sport tyres fitted, if so take care on wet or cold damp roads, they are quite poor in these conditions imo
worth having though because in good conditions they are superb.

id imagine the fiesta with mp215 was a bit more torquey mid range, but flat out through the gears from what ive seen the Trophy is marginally quicker, very close though and both great cars.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
I have the OE Dunlop Sport Maxx RT tyres on my 200T and to be fair on a recent trackday in France was pleasantly surprised how well they performed in the damp to wet conditions. I think the chassis helped too but the tyres felt grippy when putting the power going through the long corners and braking into tight corners. I actually left it in RACE mode out in the wet and it felt all quite solid as in the OE dampers with the Cooksports were forgiving, but not wallowing.