ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Urgent help needed, got a wedding to get to!

182 Cup
Hi all,
Need some advice, was driving and noticed some lights on my dash ping up, the radio stopped producing sound (even though still on) the wipers went very slow like when you just have the ignition on, however the engine was still on.

Got home and turned it off now can not start. It doesn't turn over but all the lights on dash illuminate as per the norm when ignition is on. The throttle body is clicking when attempting to start which I believe is normal? The immobiliser light is not on so have ruled this out.

Any ideas of where I can start looking?! Ive check the fuses behind the passenger headlight, they all look fine.

Got a sodding wedding to get to in the next few hours 😂

Thanks in advance!

Clio 182 Track Car
I'll second the alternator is possibly faulty resulting in the car looking to get it's electricity from the battery instead but of course that has a limited supply which has probably run out

182 Cup
Had to borrow another car as just didn't have time to mess about with it.
Thanks for the advice though, I put battery on trickle charge and it started after a few hours left charging, so does point to the battery being dead as the alternator is not charging it, so will get it replaced.
Cheers!

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
Start it and get a multimeter on the battery and if it's getting 14v or there abouts the alternator is fine..

Normally a car can keep running with a dead/shafted battery and a good alternator as it's connected to all the auxiliary systems.

Test first, spend second.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Another vote for the alternator, car should run ok with a knackered battery, but if the alternator packs up it will be quite strange as the battery drains.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Make sure the connections on the alternator are in good working order.
Mine done exactly the same. Turned out that the connector to the alternator had sheared off. Attached a new clip and all was fine. Cost me 25p.

Start with the free options before you start spending.

182 Cup
In the end bought a multimeter and tested the battery which was showing 12.2V with engine off, went down to 9.5V when started and then stayed at 11.98V on idle.
The alternator tested 5.5V which is too low so must be the alt!
Not driven for 2 weeks, I miss it!