ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Urbex - Dairy Farmers of Britain, Drayton

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255
Well others seemed to have set the lead by posting their exploring shots, and given the amount I explore I'm clearly going to follow suit ;) so ...

Dairy Farmers of Britain (DFOB), was an agricultural cooperative that used to supply over one billion litres of milk a year, collected from its 1800 member farmers, making up about 10% of the UK milk market. The past tense is used since unfortunately DFOB went into receivership in June '09. The dairy in Drayton, Portsmouth, was one of its multiple sites around the country, though it was actually closed earlier in around March '09 as part of attempts to restructure. Around 60 people lost their jobs.

It appears that DFOB applied for planning on the site in '08 to build 150 houses to let them sell it at significant value, but that planning was refused.

I can't find any further history online on the site, but what is apparent is that the dairy has existed for a significant period and prior to DFOB since the brickwork by the gates was for SCD. The buildings felt maybe 30s or 40s era at their core, though had been extended and changed plenty. Location wise the dairy was surrounded by older residential properties and the railway to the south, so it wasn't the most obviously place for quite a large site!

Anyhows, since closure the site has been stripped officially with most of the equipment auctioned and removed, and then unofficially by a swarm of pikeys. Local chavs have had a go too. Ultimately though the site is pretty well secured, and it took a tiny bit of looking to get inside. However, a side effect was that I was uncharacteristically on edge since being on my own and with a solitary and non-immediate point of entry/exit I didn't want to run into anybody else!

So a stripped dairy, but this one did have one redeeming feature ...
Dairy-01.jpg

... because roofs don't get much cooler than this one! Shame the light was s**t given rain and cloud :(.
Dairy-02.jpg

Everywhere you went ... you couldn't get away from the awesome domes in the curved roof and natural daylight ... this was some scummy storage area!
Dairy-03.jpg

C'est moi!
Dairy-04.jpg

Dairy-05.jpg

This was a bonkers office/computer area squeezed up top ...
Dairy-06.jpg

... with a fatal flaw!
Dairy-07.jpg

The first half of the site I visited seemed to be more to do with packaging and distribution. Ironically loosing their Co-op contract was one of the nails in DFOB's coffin!
Dairy-08.jpg

Dairy-09.jpg

Like the curved roof, the front of the building had curves too!
Dairy-10.jpg

Natural daylight everywhere ... office stairs ...
Dairy-11.jpg

... and other half above the shop floor!
Dairy-13.jpg

There be pikeys about :mad:
Dairy-12.jpg

Since I wanted to stay fleet of foot, I shot everything hand held hence the ISO 3200! Even where they'd installed suspended ceilings and it seemed very dark, light still leaked in from above!
Dairy-14.jpg

Dairy-15.jpg

And then across to the other half of the site ... a similar building at its core, but a much rougher and less clean vibe!
Dairy-16.jpg

A slight smell of stale milk, and I swear I could smell cows too!
Dairy-17.jpg

Some sort of testing lab ... air conditioned and behind two sets of doors at each entrance.
Dairy-18.jpg

Dairy-19.jpg

Lots of monster fridges!
Dairy-20.jpg

And up to an unexpected bonus floor!
Dairy-21.jpg

Dairy-22.jpg

Loved the use of glass blocks to take advantage of the natural light into more enclosed spaces!
Dairy-23.jpg

And if you were in any doubt about it being a dairy ...
Dairy-24.jpg

And finally a few damp miserable externals ...
Dairy-25.jpg

Dairy-26.jpg

Dairy-28.jpg

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255
Nice series. Good results for ISO 3200 too. Did you do any noise reduction?
Ahhh ... not all ISO 3200, only in the darker spaces where the shutter speed was edging beyond 0.5s+. Mostly set on auto which will run up to ISO 1600. No noise reduction beyond the in camera set to the standard level.

So for example this one ...
Dairy-14.jpg

... was shot at ISO 3200 at -4/3eV giving a 0.3s exposure. It was actually an even darker scene to the eye but my 500D is always keen to make daylight where it doesn't exist, and I decided to give it a bit of an exposure boost rather than dialling it down to -2eV. The full original image is crisper too, since the quick and dirty resize filter I used to downsize my pictures for web use tends to slightly soften things (which is strange for a reduction!).

As another example this one was shot at ISO 3200 at 1/4s, but was dialled down to -2eV since I wanted to get a better representation of the darkness!
Dairy-29.jpg

Ironically the noisiest shot is this one (but given the white background it's not a surprise) ...
Dairy-15.jpg

... which was also shot on ISO 3200 because I'd not reset the camera from the earlier wide dark room shot, tho' where my wondrous Fenix L2D torch is sooo bright it was only a 1/80s exposure, and had I had it set on Auto ISO it'd have shot below ISO 1600!

Must admit I've very pleased with the higher ISO characteristics of my 500D. Up to ISO 1600 you'll rarely notice noise or any loss of definition thru' noise reduction. It has totally changed the way I explore, since on my previously very well used Sony DSC-H1 bridge camera, anything above ISO 200 started getting noisy, and so I always used a tripod. These days, unless I'm spending time for a well lit/painted artistic shot, I'll literally hold my torch up beside my camera and shoot at ISO 1600 (or exceptionally ISO 3200 as above). The only "pain" is that unless there's a large dynamic range, it'll always try a boost a shot to give a "daylight" level of lighting, which in many cases when exploring isn't appropriate. Net of this is that most of my indoor exploring shots are at -2/3eV, apart from very dark scenes where I have to dial it down further, or even go full manual!

Last edited:

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Wow. Natural light is crazy looks like real lighting.

So is it just going to stay there since they haven't got permission for building? :(

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255
So is it just going to stay there since they haven't got permission for building? :(
Yeah ... that's an interesting question. Assuming they didn't sell the land before they went into administration, I assume that it's still an asset for the administrators to deal with!? I don't know why planning was rejected because it's surrounded by houses already, including an 80s/90s estate to one side. It is still actively secured, so clearly somebody somewhere has an interest.

S4 Avant
It was big news in our industry when Dairy Farmers of Britain went under, a lot of farmers suffered from it