ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Update: Network people, help extending wifi signal please

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Hi ya'll.

Right, I have a situation, office outside in a portable cabin, the wifi from inside the building (proper data centre so the customer wifi is fairly decent).

We're allowed to use this wifi, but with the portable cabin being thick metal, and the glazing/walls on the building being very thick, the signal isn't great, as in 1 bar and dropping out all the time.

I've tried an actual wifi extender, the plug into the wall and no setup kind (netgear) and I have picked up the network and successfully extended it, however, this extension seems crap, you can't really download anything of any size and it drops out every 15 seconds (as well as always reporting connectivity problems for an entirely unknown reason). This is a big issue as I ended up taking everyone in the office to my house to to an ms office update we required FFS.

Now, is it just a case of running a cat5 cable from the existing router in the building, into a router in our office?

I'm really not in the know with connecting router to router etc? Or whatever's possible really...

Re: Network people, help extending wifi signal please

Get a wireless access point in the cabin that's hardwired.

Apple AirPort Express springs to mind and just run a Cat5 cable and plug it in.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator

Everything here is PC, isn't apple a bit overpriced/pointless?

I'm not being sarky btw, just asking.

Wireless access point eh? So that'd be cat5 out the back of the router upstairs into the access point, the access point then re-produces the wifi signal?

I need to learn more about this side of things really.

Does it have to be wifi in there?

Cat5 cable into the building. Splitter/switch. Few more cables. Done.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio

Cat5 into your office, make sure its not over 100m, buy a cheap wireless access point plug it in, job done.

Rob,

Whats the nearest data cabinet to your cabin?

And easy way of sorting this is to use a free network port on the switch in the main building. (You would have to ask the IT guys there, if the switching is VLAN'd) If it is, plugging into a free port will not work.

If its a flat network, you should be able to run a external cat5e cable into a switch / router in your office. Then all your Pc's will run off that.

You can get bridged wireless devices, but they can be quite expensive.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator

Didn't think of doing that actually, could be an idea!

It's a tiny porta-cabin so wires are no issue.

Cat5 into your office, make sure its not over 100m, buy a cheap wireless access point plug it in, job done.

Won't be over 100m, don't worry about that. Glad it's that simple though, it's either that or a usb dongle and wifi router for that.

Rob,

Whats the nearest data cabinet to your cabin?

And easy way of sorting this is to use a free network port on the switch in the main building. (You would have to ask the IT guys there, if the switching is VLAN'd) If it is, plugging into a free port will not work.

If its a flat network, you should be able to run a external cat5e cable into a switch / router in your office. Then all your Pc's will run off that.

You can get bridged wireless devices, but they can be quite expensive.

There's NO hope of getting on any of the cabs. Places I work are VERY secure.

This'll be coming off of the ;public access wifi

Boom Cat5 and a small switch.

As for Apple Express - it was en example as I can't think of any other things off the top of my head.

Rav4

Unifi is a great product too. Have a look at it and the reviews in such places as hard forum

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep

This is by far the easiest and the cheapest.

Buy some Cat5 and if you can crimp, buy the lugs. Make all your own cables.

There real easy to crimp btw.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio

If you can the cables in the correct order ^

Rob

ClioSport Moderator

This is by far the easiest and the cheapest.

Buy some Cat5 and if you can crimp, buy the lugs. Make all your own cables.

There real easy to crimp btw.

I have a box of cat5 in the boot and access to the ends, crimps and boots through the DC I'm working at. I'll be doing it all Monday.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator

OK network geeks, the time is here.

I've run the cable through the slab and got it coming out of a small hole by an extract fan.

Now, terminations, is there only one way to terminate the cable? i.e is it different for patches or ethernet or whatever?

I have a termination tool, a load of boots and ends (donated by the data centre) ;)

Help.

Is it difficult enough to warrant watching a YT video on?

568-B.gif

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
It's relatively easy to do, as with anything it just takes a bit of practice to perfect.

Try it. See if it works. Try again. Test it. Try again.

Then buy cables from eBay that are the correct length. Done.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I've got proper tools, all supplied by the data centre.

So Adam, I just do it as shown and it'll work?

Dan I can't buy pre done as the distance and tight gaps wouldn't fit a head

Evo 5 RS
Only good thing about wireless is just that, it's wireless. Couple of goes at crimping CAT5 and you'll be reet, it's dead easy.

Apart from when you're trying to do it in the dark. That wasn't fun.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I know wireless is awesome, and I have a £3000 signal booster sitting on someone's window sill but does not make it through the massively thick metal container I'm in.

So I'm going wired into here then broadcasting for the four of us.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Yes, both ends like Adam's picture and your good. Just make sure you get the individual cables as close to the end of the head as you can before crimping.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Ta for all the help, has literally just improved my work life for the next 9 months 20 fold. I now have PROPER fast internet in a porta-cabin. Result.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Pretty much, but they're also in here, the lack of internet was driving us all crazy.

I do however have a desk that no one can see, ever. Touch.