ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Unusual noises and brake issues.

Clio III dCi 106
Hi there,

I have a Clio III 1.5dCI (106) and love it. Only thing is, my car's producing 2 noises and a fault and they're unfortunately putting me off the car. I've come here looking for some advice as truth be told I'm not really up on my mechanical knowledge of cars and a few different garages have suggested completely different things (giving me the impression they're not sure). Anyway, I'll describe the two noises incase any of you can help and the issue:

1. Knocking noise from the boot area. This tends to happen on uneven roads and I notice it most at low speed (but I think road noise might cancel it out at higher speeds). It sounds like a kind of hollow knock. At first I thought it was the spare wheel or jack moving about but it isn't that. Thought it might be the exhaust or it's heat shield but both are firmly in place. Renault suggested a loose bushel (?) in the exhaust but the noise seem more like it's in the car rather than in the exhaust if you follow me. Best way of describing it is like the sound of a paint tin getting tapped - it doesn't sound a 'light' noise. This noise has been going on for ages now and seems to be getting gradually worse.

2. Metal grating noise from the front. This is a more recent noise and really concerns me. Only been happening the last couple of months. It either happens at speeds in a dip (plenty of those on the roads around me annoyingly) or over speed bumps if I don't slow right down. It's basically when the front of the car is low down for one reason of another. The noise is never prolonged (so not something dragging on the floor, hopefully). Could rusty shocks cause that sort of noise? If so, can you clean to reduce noise or do they need replacing?

3. Weak brakes. In my last service I couldn't do the brake fluid change as the bleed nipples on the calipers had seized and wonderfully Renault snapped them off trying to remove them (heating them, as I've read, to loosen them is no longer an option). Since driving around some VW's in work I've realised my Clio's brake pedal travels really far before biting and doesn't then bite anywhere near as hard which makes me think I'm probably going to need to get new calipers all around and a brake fluid change (oh joy). Any handy tips on how to maintain the calipers and avoid this happening again in future? Or maybe I don't need to replace them at all?

Any help with either of these hugely appreciated, sorry about the essay!

Owen

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Number 1 sounds like a knackered shock. I had the same issues and got new shocks and it went. I had no compression in my old shocks when I took them off so you could try that first being only 2 bolts to take off.

Megane dci 130
Number 1 is 100% your boot catch. Put some thick grease on the striker and in the catch on the tailgate. That will sort it.

SQ5
3. It's just a VW thing, the brakes are sharp and almost an on/off type feeling. Clio brakes are nicer as they're a bit more progressive. Caught me out years ago when I first started driving and borrowed a golf!

Clio III dCi 106
Number 1 is 100% your boot catch. Put some thick grease on the striker and in the catch on the tailgate. That will sort it.

That indeed has fixed it! Very grateful, been bugging me for months.

The noise from the front I think I've isolated to the front left. Going over lots of speed bumps today I noticed it never cropped up on the right wheel but often on the left. Think I'll have to get it up on the ramp to have a look at the suspension.