ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Unstable braking at high speeds

Took the car for a real aspirated drive since purchasing the 172 Cup a few weeks back.

Notices coming down from high speeds while applying brakes at medium to hard pressure that the car is quite skittish, moving from left to right (snaking at rear). Am I thinking that this is due the springs or uneven brake wear maybe, or is this a characteristic of this car?

I would not say its due to the car not having ABS

BTW cracking little car :evil:

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Nothing to do with ABS. Could just be the road surface however...

Check the rear dampers for leaks/damage etc. Quite a common fault on Clios.

02 Clio 172
Mine is very similar to yours, think its a bit of a charateristic of smaller hatch backs, may be worth checking your rear brakes tho and making sure the sliders on the calipers are free and not binding otherwise it may be braking harder on one corner than the other.

Thanks Andy, I can def feel the car bitting on one side, almost like it snaps to the left after initial bite.

Will check it out, Im looking at changing all the brake discs anyway, however just interested to know it "was the norm" or not. Thanks for your help guys.

PH2 172
I'd bank on a knackered shock personally, I've had similar trouble in the past. Oh and if it is a shock dont take the cheap route and only replace one like i did, your opposite will go soon after!