ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

unknown modifications? clio 172

Ae101 Levin GT Apex
Hi everyone, my dad bought a 172 and doesnt have a clue what has been done to the car as there wasnt any history with it and he bought it from the owners girlfriend as it was in her name..

i am more into jap imports myself so dont know much about the little cars other than they are well able to move.. his is a lot faster than my levin anyway, thats for sure!

Here is a list of what we think might have been done:

Cams,
Remap,
Decat
Bigger flywheel???
Bigger clutch,
Full exhaust system,
Lowered.

I dont have any pics of it at the moment but id love if someone could fill me in on what this should bring the car upto power wise and how realistic is it that these mods have been carried out?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
TBH I'd say

Remap
Decat
Full exhaust
Lowered

Are all very likely if it is modded.

Cams, lightened flywheel and uprated clutch, whilst possible are all very unlikely with a normal car.

Where's the car located, I'm sure any members would be willing to take a look and see what's not standard.

Ae101 Levin GT Apex
idle sounds slightly lumpy which makes us think cams, and the flywheel is definately bigger (not sure if its lightened) but he got the clutch changed and the standard clutch was way too small, they called the supplier of the clutch that was removed and it was going to cost £300 for a replacement.. they ended up fitting a clutch from a Megane of some sort..

We are currently staying in ormskirk area

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
The idle is slightly lumpy on all of them though. If you map them on standard cams it smooths it out a bit better.

Ae101 Levin GT Apex
so chances are its neither mapped or got cams then if it idles lumpy as standard.. why the bigger flywheel though? lol

Nissan 350z
What are you basing this "bigger flywheel" statement on, have you had a standard clio 172 side by side with this modified one?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If the flywheel was bigger outer diameter, it wouldnt match up with the starter motor.
172 flywheel is the same size as some meganes anyway, so just sounds like the garage you were using didnt know what bits to order.

A heavier flywheel would be a downgrade, there is no reason you would want to do that unless you were trying to make the car idle at 600rpm or something like that.

Ae101 Levin GT Apex
the standard 172 clutch was too small to fit the flywheel that was on the car.. see i haven't actually had a look at the car in this sense.. just had a general check around the car and thats it.. everything else is what my dad has been told by people working on the car...

Ae101 Levin GT Apex
A heavier flywheel would be a downgrade, there is no reason you would want to do that unless you were trying to make the car idle at 600rpm or something like that.
this is why i had all the ?????????? after bigger flywheel... as i know lighter is better in most cases and bigger most of the time means heavier.

I was thinking when he told me that the garage may have been trying to rip him off but im not sure..

Just noticed that the car has a cliosport tax disk holder so that means it was probably previously owned by a registered member on here..

PB Clio 172
when you brought this car would it not be worth to ask the previous owner whats been done to it? Sure you can get hold of him

Maybe take it to a proper garage

i.e paperwork

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
the standard 172 clutch was too small to fit the flywheel that was on the car.. see i haven't actually had a look at the car in this sense.. just had a general check around the car and thats it.. everything else is what my dad has been told by people working on the car...

I wonder if the "172 clutch" actually was, or if they ended up with the wrong item, without seeing pics or being told the sizes, none of us can really advise much TBH

WRX
i don't want to sound funny but without proof, presume nothing has been done. One of my previous cars had a Kent Cams sticker in the engine bay, the trader kept pushing it had them, I asked could he prove it. No!
Without receipts only way is rollers or compare to another.

Megane r26
Without receipts I'd just assume it was standard unless physically proved otherwise, I've heard traders come out with all sorts of codswallop to sell a motor or even to hide faults

Ae101 Levin GT Apex
story is my dad bought it throught ebay, woman was selling the car and it was her ex-partners car but was in her name so she had kept it.. she didnt have any history and doesnt know anything about the car other than she didnt like it.. apparently she told my dad that the car had been remapped and then other people said it sounded like the cams had been done and that it will have been remapped after.. it does have the exhaust done, i took a quick look a few mins ago and it has a stainless mani, havnt looked under the car so not sure if its a full system

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Without receipts I'd just assume it was standard unless physically proved otherwise, I've heard traders come out with all sorts of codswallop to sell a motor or even to hide faults

"racing cams" sounds like so much better an explanation for a rough idle than "it has a fault" lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
story is my dad bought it throught ebay, woman was selling the car and it was her ex-partners car but was in her name so she had kept it.. she didnt have any history and doesnt know anything about the car other than she didnt like it.. apparently she told my dad that the car had been remapped and then other people said it sounded like the cams had been done and that it will have been remapped after.. it does have the exhaust done, i took a quick look a few mins ago and it has a stainless mani, havnt looked under the car so not sure if its a full system

All 172s have tubular stainless exhaust manifolds as standard that if you are used to other cars would look like a fancy aftermarket one.

Ae101 Levin GT Apex
anyone want to have a look at it so we can compare two 172s?

Im going to try get a pic up as im sure it used to be a members car

Ae101 Levin GT Apex
I'm a mechanic myself an some of the things I've heard folk say to explain why theres cars running like a sack of s**t is hilarious
thing is its not running s**t.. my 20v 4age levin doesnt even stand a chance with it and fair enough the clios have a higher off the line power figure but if it wasnt running right he shouldnt pull away so much... or at least thats what i think anyway lol

Megane r26
thing is its not running s**t.. my 20v 4age levin doesnt even stand a chance with it and fair enough the clios have a higher off the line power figure but if it wasnt running right he shouldnt pull away so much... or at least thats what i think anyway lol

Tbh chap sounds like your average 1*2, they all run lumpy/rough idle especailly when cold I've found. There certainly no slouch, whats your levin running? Pics of the levin needed ;)

Ae101 Levin GT Apex
20v 4age silvertop, standard 4 branch, standard ITB's and plenum, standard twin exit exhaust with decat and prev owner put different back boxes on :p its fairly standard anyway..

All i have done is added camber adjustable topmounts for the front and i took a cusco 4 point underbrace as a trade..

The gear ratios are quite ANTI-fuel haha 120kmph or approx 72mph is around 4500rpm in 5th

And yes thats an irish reg. i was living there for a few years but i ight be moving back over :D

DSCF1338.jpg

DSCF1388.jpg

Ae101 Levin GT Apex
im not sure on bhp, im not going to quote any figures.. they are know to have "personalities" haha i get her on the rollers first! what i do know is that the gear ratios help a lot!

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Have a look under the car, you will know instantly if it's got a cat or not