ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

tyres vs road noise

megane
The EU has given this weird noise rating. I was wondering is it worth the paper its written on? I used to buy Michelin but got 2 punchers so had to get cheap ones a while back. Now its quite noisy to the point where I wonder is it the wheel bearing.

Is it worth buying mid range tyres for the sake of road noise or are they roughly the same as budget tyres?

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
The EU has given this weird noise rating. I was wondering is it worth the paper its written on? I used to buy Michelin but got 2 punchers so had to get cheap ones a while back. Now its quite noisy to the point where I wonder is it the wheel bearing.

Is it worth buying mid range tyres for the sake of road noise or are they roughly the same as budget tyres?

I've found certain tyres make a big difference in my experience.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
I use trackday tyres for most of the year.
The r888 used to sound like a knackered old land rover, the NS2R's are really loud, the RS2 & RSRs were fine.

megane
Ok I found out something spooky. Tyres have a code of 4 numbers that refer to the week and the year the tyre was made. 2 of my tyres were made in 2013 but the other two budget ones dont actually have a date. That is rather worrying. I think its time to look for replacements.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Ok I found out something spooky. Tyres have a code of 4 numbers that refer to the week and the year the tyre was made. 2 of my tyres were made in 2013 but the other two budget ones dont actually have a date. That is rather worrying. I think its time to look for replacements.

No date code? Are they even E marked?

megane
Ok got it sorted. Turns out that after my Brands hatch stint the budget tyres became un even which is why they were so noisy.