ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

TV Help (another sorry)

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
The time has come to re-new my TV..

I have had my 42" LCD toshiba for almost 6 years now and is HD ready and high res 1920x1080 so was a great spec in its day and is still pretty good, but now have a slight dark line visible in centre of screen ) probably from dog biffing screen everytime a rabbit or cat appears! Now wall mounted so shouldnt be a problem.

Am wanting to go a little bigger 46? but would settle for another 42 tbh. Not sure about pro's and cons of LED/LCD/Plasma so have no preference.

Want to be able to play media through external hdd and want it to be wifi/SMART.

Really like the thinner the surround the better.

Not too bothered about 3d Unless xbox will be using 3d anytime soon???

Budget circa

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
If PQ is what you're after then Plasma can't be beaten. Panasonic's 2012 range is pretty much up there with the mighty Pinoneer Kuro.

LCD, LED and Plasma all have their own traits and faults (LED clouding, Plasma IR etc). Just depends what you want out of the TV.

If you let me know how much you want to spend then I can give a better opinion.

I bought a Panasonic 50VT50 3 months ago. It's by far the best TV on the market in terms of PQ (it does have its faults though).

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
Sorry for somer reason my price was deleted without me noticing..

Dont want to spend more than £800 really.

Like the look of the samsungs but thought they were at bottom of league with likes of LG in terms of quality

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
Thats good to know i always thought they were just above the base makes due to there pricing really.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I wouldn't dismiss LG as being bottom of the league. They make some equally good TV's as the likes of Panny and Samsung.

I'd agree with that, we have a Sony, Samsung and LG and the LG is hands down the best TV.

Best features and picture quality. The only downside is the NETCAST won't be updated with new apps ever :( But that won't be an issue on a new set.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
yeah i could up budget for right tv, what type of tv would be best for gaming?

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
LCD/LED because plasma's suffer IR and in extreme cases burn in if static pictures or HUDs are left on screen for too long. It is also advisable to run in a plasma for the first couple of hundred hours.

My plasma is fine to game on though, I've never noticed any lag.

The ST will blow any LCD or LED out of the window when it comes to picture quality (which is surely the most important thing).

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
If PQ is what you're after then Plasma can't be beaten. Panasonic's 2012 range is pretty much up there with the mighty Pinoneer Kuro.

LCD, LED and Plasma all have their own traits and faults (LED clouding, Plasma IR etc). Just depends what you want out of the TV.

If you let me know how much you want to spend then I can give a better opinion.

I bought a Panasonic 50VT50 3 months ago. It's by far the best TV on the market in terms of PQ (it does have its faults though).

Just got myself the P55VT50 as I want the best PQ. I was not disapointed !

I wouldn't dismiss LG as being bottom of the league. They make some equally good TV's as the likes of Panny and Samsung.

They used to the bottom.. now they are about 1mm above it.. They are nowhere near Panny and Samsung.

Last edited:

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
LCD/LED because plasma's suffer IR and in extreme cases burn in if static pictures or HUDs are left on screen for too long. It is also advisable to run in a plasma for the first couple of hundred hours.

My plasma is fine to game on though, I've never noticed any lag.

The ST will blow any LCD or LED out of the window when it comes to picture quality (which is surely the most important thing).

Yes, no matter what any sales person says.. Plasma's still do suffer from image retention and in extreme cases burn in.

Having said that my 5 year old 42" Panny has at worst suffered image retention for 10-15 min and that was accidentally falling asleep with a static computer image on screen (6-8 hours).

LCD's suffer from lag/ghosting and the PQ just doesn't come close to my P55VT50.

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
Sorry to thred hi-jack but is this a good TV:

Panasonic tx-p42x50b

I'm after something thats HD with Freeview HD.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Sorry to thred hi-jack but is this a good TV:

Panasonic tx-p42x50b

I'm after something thats HD with Freeview HD.

Not seen one in the flesh so can't comment. There seems to be a lack of reviews on the web so I suggest you head over to a Panasonic shop or may be post a thread on avforums.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Sorry but i don't agree with that statment....

Unfortunately LG's PQ is anywhere near that of Panasonic and Samsung currently.

Sony's HX853 is supposed to be very good but again suffers from DSE and clouding.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Sorry but i don't agree with that statment....

That's ok.. Like I said LG are better (certainly in reliability) but their PQ (IMHO) has a long way to go to match Panny/Samsung. But that's ok, as they fill in the lower end of the market.. not everyone wants to spend over 2k for a 55" when LG will do one for 1/3 of that.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Glad your enjoying it mate.

Only thing that lets it down is the right hand side banding :(

I haven't actually encountered that on mine.. (yet) Only some crosstalk on 3D items that are high contrast.

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
Not seen one in the flesh so can't comment. There seems to be a lack of reviews on the web so I suggest you head over to a Panasonic shop or may be post a thread on avforums.

Seems to get a good rep on teh AV forums. Popped into Comet last night to have a gander and was happy with it ( http://www.comet.co.uk/p/Plasma-TVs/buy-PANASONIC-TX-P42X50B-Plasma-TV/794040 ) , didn't have my card on me though.

As I was leaving noticed : http://www.comet.co.uk/p/Plasma-TVs/buy-SAMSUNG-PS43E450-Plasma-TV/789941

Sound Quality isn't an issue as it will be going through my Stereo, but now I do'nt know which to do for! Although I think i've just noticed that the Samsung doesn't have Freeview HD built in.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
I haven't actually encountered that on mine.. (yet) Only some crosstalk on 3D items that are high contrast.

Don't go looking for it if you've not seen it.

Unfortunately all Panasonic 2012 Plasma's have it.

Mine is only visible during HD football which I can live with (especially after owning two GT30's suffering from green blob).

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Seems to get a good rep on teh AV forums. Popped into Comet last night to have a gander and was happy with it ( http://www.comet.co.uk/p/Plasma-TVs/buy-PANASONIC-TX-P42X50B-Plasma-TV/794040 ) , didn't have my card on me though.

As I was leaving noticed : http://www.comet.co.uk/p/Plasma-TVs/buy-SAMSUNG-PS43E450-Plasma-TV/789941

Sound Quality isn't an issue as it will be going through my Stereo, but now I do'nt know which to do for! Although I think i've just noticed that the Samsung doesn't have Freeview HD built in.

Don't worry about freeview HD if you have sky. I've never used freeview HD and have no plans to.

If you like the look of the Panasonic then go for it :).

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
Don't have Sky / Virgin. And really can't afford it at the time being.

Used to buy Sony's then Panasonic's and Samsung's. Have always thought the Standard picture on the Panasonic's is better than rivals though.

Think I'll be picking up the Panasonic this weekend then!

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Don't have Sky / Virgin. And really can't afford it at the time being.

Used to buy Sony's then Panasonic's and Samsung's. Have always thought the Standard picture on the Panasonic's is better than rivals though.

Think I'll be picking up the Panasonic this weekend then!

Good choice mate, you won't be disappointed.

Be aware of screen uniformity issues. On this basis do not buy from the likes of comet, curry's etc (you'll have a nightmare returning it).

Buy from somewhere like JL, TPS, Richer Sounds or Amazon.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Have a look for the option below as can be had for your budget.

3D PANASONIC TX-42P-20-B PLASMA
5.0 out of 5 stars

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
Now that has thrown me.. how can it be the option below if it has 1080p and the one I was looking at was 720p :S

Just realised you weren't talking to me :eek:

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Thanks,

Unfortunately Comet and Currys (PC World) are the only people that seem to stock them. :(

JL and RS don't have them listed, Amazon only in Marketplace unless I want refurbished (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007ISAL4C/?tag=cliospnet01-21)

Who is TPS?

EDIT:

Is this them:

http://www.tps.uk.com/tps/home.html...222&choice_id=135&tab_id=45&page_name=product

oh, and what is screen uniformity issues? :eek:

Yep that's them mate, they are a AVForum trader and very highly rated. A lot of their staff calibrate and are regular posters. I've only heard very good things about them (they are also cheaper than most other electrical stores (win win).

Uniformity relates to screen clarity. Plasmas should generally be bang on and colours should be uniform across the entire screen (no banding, colour distortion etc). Easiest way to test screen uniformity is by hooking up a USB stick with some solid colour slides (grey, white, red, blue etc). If the colours are uniform across the entire screen then you've got a good one. If not and you can't see it anything during normal viewing then don't worry. You've only got a problem if its visible and distracts you during normal viewing.

I have a VT50 (top of the range) and have a slight band visible on the right hand side. It only ever visible while watching HD football so wasn't enough of a problem to warrant a return (remember that no consumer TV will be perfect).

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
Thank you Al, you have been incredibly helpful! TPS is £100 more expensive than places like comet for the same TV, however it come with the 5 year warranty rather than just 1, so worth it in my eyes.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Thank you Al, you have been incredibly helpful! TPS is £100 more expensive than places like comet for the same TV, however it come with the 5 year warranty rather than just 1, so worth it in my eyes.

Anytime mate, you could always give them a ring to discuss which tv best suits your needs. Alternatively PM Bumtious (who works for TPS) on AVForums - great guy who knows more about TVs than 99% of TV experts.

Personally I'd go for a 1080p tv providing your budget allows.

There's a UT50 but I've not seen it so can't really comment on it.

Bang for buck the ST50 cannot be beaten IMO.

Last edited:
  1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
The ST50 is at least twice the price of what I'm considering, but by the looks of it spot on for what the opening poster is after.

£450 is my absolute highest and I doubt I could get a 1080p with decent standard picture quality and built in Freeview HD. However I will give TPS a call and have a chat before committing!

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
The ST50 is at least twice the price of what I'm considering, but by the looks of it spot on for what the opening poster is after.

£450 is my absolute highest and I doubt I could get a 1080p with decent standard picture quality and built in Freeview HD. However I will give TPS a call and have a chat before committing!

If £450 is your max then go for the X50 mate, I'm sure you won't be disappointed (especially if you've seen one in the flesh).

Panasonic make the best tv's on the market at the moment (try really upped their game with the 50 range), whichever model you go or you can guarantee you'll get a cracking set :).

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
That's ok.. Like I said LG are better (certainly in reliability) but their PQ (IMHO) has a long way to go to match Panny/Samsung. But that's ok, as they fill in the lower end of the market.. not everyone wants to spend over 2k for a 55" when LG will do one for 1/3 of that.

Exactly the point... The OP asked about TV's with around £800 for the budget which is the lower to medium end of the market and LG can be as good, worse or far better depending on the model and price spent. My 50" plasma has been perfect for reliability and at the time pissed over any of the others in the same price range and above for picture quality.