ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

LG smart LED tv

Arctic 182
Hi guys, just wondered if any of you tech heads can tell me if this model is worth getting?! I'm after a new one to replace my 8 year old plasma. Not really keen on paying more for 3D as I won't use it but am after a smart one. Want it for regular tv & some gaming (PS3/4)

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd...lg-42ln578v-smart-42-led-tv-21324853-pdt.html

My only concern is, if I get this one now there might be a better deal come New Year's Day! But if I don't get it now & wait I might not get a better deal?! Catch 22 & a risk I'll have to take.

Could I possibly have the opinion of the masses?! What would I do with out CS ;)
Cheers.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
ive got a 1year old LG SMART TV, luckily I have an HTPC and didn't buy it for its SMART capabilities as it is utterly hopeless, not sure if the modern ones are any better I notice the description mentions dual core there so they may have sorted it.

Ive tried youtube on it and its slow, buffers constantly, and its connected by cat5 to Virgin Media 100mb!

as a TV/HTPC Monitor its epic, just the SMART that's rubbish but worth demoing it to see if the latest ones are any better if that's the reason your buying it I used an older Samsung that had the same issues

Arctic 182
ive got a 1year old LG SMART TV, luckily I have an HTPC and didn't buy it for its SMART capabilities as it is utterly hopeless, not sure if the modern ones are any better I notice the description mentions dual core there so they may have sorted it.

Ive tried youtube on it and its slow, buffers constantly, and its connected by cat5 to Virgin Media 100mb!

as a TV/HTPC Monitor its epic, just the SMART that's rubbish but worth demoing it to see if the latest ones are any better if that's the reason your buying it I used an older Samsung that had the same issues

Thanks for the advice mate, I've thought about it now & decided I don't need a smart tv, or even an LED. I've stuck to what I know which is plasma! Got a samsung 43" 3D on order. Never had an issue with my current plasma & it was £35 more for the 3D version. Ill fire off a review for others when it comes. (Next week :(

Bumder With A Buffer
I've got last years 42" smart model that is high on 100% same as this.

YouTube app is slow yes and maybe the interface to linking up to a media server could be quicker and smoother but apart from that its been spot on...energy use of an led is nuts in comparison to my old plasma.

There is one more slight niggle with the TV in that you can't seem to turn off auto brightness, which means when watching a film or TV show from the media server or on TV it constantly changes the brightness up and down...so it makes it darker on the dark scenes (when you would want it brighter!) And lighter on the lighter scenes :S

Haven't figured out how to stop that

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
Thanks for the advice mate, I've thought about it now & decided I don't need a smart tv, or even an LED. I've stuck to what I know which is plasma! Got a samsung 43" 3D on order. Never had an issue with my current plasma & it was £35 more for the 3D version. Ill fire off a review for others when it comes. (Next week :(

3D is nice for the odd film!