ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trophy!

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
I've still not refurbed my fronts, the cars stupid bouncy just now! Can't wait to get mine done, how tricky was it removing and fitting the dampers? Cheers.

You need a long 21mm socket and breaker bar and a 21mm spanner

Where did you get it from? Bosch ones from ECP are £75ish and used ones can be sorted for a few quid!

Your Trophy doesn't have a private reg does it? I've seen one knocking about Rusholme a few times now.

​Just updating this project thread as I'm involved in the car too.

So far we've done :

Refurbished Sachs front dampers
New Sachs rear dampers
New Trophy front and rear springs
New rear OEM discs with bearings
New brembo hc front discs
New OEM front wheel bearings
New OEM track rod ends
Hunter geometry setup to near factory spec as possible

Belts done by Birchdown and aircon delete fitted (timing was out prior to this)
RS tuner 98 ron remap

New NGK spark plugs/ oil filter/ millers CFS oil/ OEM Lamda Sensor

Sabelt Renaulsport Steering Wheel
Sabelt harnesses.

Red Top 20 smaller battery with custom made battery box and charger socket.

Rear seat and various items stripout - but not too extreme, still wanting to maintain a road car vibe.

Special order 16 inch x 8 inch Anthracite Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 Wheels with 45 ET and 60.1 bore (so no plastic spigot rings required)
Federal RSR track day tyres

Here's a few random pictures :

The lightweight battery with a custom made aluminium battery box and the obligatory trickle charger socket on a flylead :
battery.jpg

Richbrook Slant Top Gearknob and an ebay gaiter with red stitching which looks quite sweet:
gearstick.jpg

Sabelt harnesses with K Tec rear mat finishing things off nicely :
rearbelts.jpg

The car dressed in its trackday wheels and tyres and fluorescent mirror casings:
side.jpg

The car actually being pedaled round the track (spot the loose wheel arch liner beneath the car):
trac.jpg

My theory was - and I know this may not be a very fashionable point of view on here - but I wanted to see what the car was like with the standard Trophy dampers, springs and geometry, after all that's what all the magazines raved about at the time (unbeatable B road performance etc).

I have to say that in my opinion the car handles just about perfectly. it looks a bit high compared to it's more lowered bretheren but that extra compliance hits the spot for me and the slight angle of roll makes you settle and set the car up for a corner properly for a corner.

Engine feels strong and I've been pleasantly surprised at just how fast the car is.

The only thing I'm less than happy with is the angle of the belts to the rear fixings which is too steep to be safe - and to remedy this the next item on the list is a Safety Devices rear cage with harness bar- and perhaps some more weight saving measures to counteract the additional weight of the cage,

Long overdue for an update - so here goes......

In an attempt to keep the brakes cooler we fitted some cooling ducts with deflectors:

brake%20duct.jpg

Bought a Safety Devices rear cage and got it fitted by Mark Fish
cage%201.jpg

cage%202.jpg

In an attempt to save weight Kelvin kindly sold us his fibre glass bonnet
bonnet.jpg

The Brembo HC discs with Pagid Blue pads didn't really stand up to two of us hammering it round the track so after a set of warped discs we decided to bite the bullet and try and solve the problem with some goodies courtesy of Chris Powell:

New 197 cup 4 pot Brembo calipers with adapter kit (not shown)
calipers.jpg

300mm Brembo HC front discs
disc%20f.jpg

197 rear calipers and pads with custom made disc and hub assembly
disc%20r.jpg

197 larger master cylinder
mastercyl.jpg

The end result looks quite good and the calipers just about fit inside the 16 inch wheels which are now fitted with studs.
Gone for Ferodo DS2500 pads.
brembo%20wheel.jpg

Needed a 15mm Eibach hubcentric spacer to clear the Turini's, although the Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 Wheels have greater clearance.
spacer.jpg

The rear brakes from a 197 have a same diameter disc as standard but the caliper and pad is bigger and in a different location.
In theory this will give us a more balanced braking system. Standard 197 Mintex pads fitted.
rearwheel.jpg

Not had chance yet to try the car on track, as that will be the real test - but so far running the brakes in, the car feels good.....

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
Brakes look great. Looking into doing same on mine.

Let me know how they get on on track please, I've currently got same setup you had before them (pagid blues)

I was a tad suprised to say the least when I was skimming through the new 2015 demon tweeks catalog and saw a photo of my trophy in there - they must have sneakily taken a photo!
flattering though :p

current spec + pics:
Brakes:
Clio 197 front 4 pot 300mm brembos
Clio 197 rear calipers and pads with custom made disc and hub assembly
Clio 197 Larger master cylinder
Ferodo DS 1.1 Pads front and rear (these are exceptional)
HEL Brake Lines
front fog lights removed and brake cooling ducting with deflectors installed

Interior:
Rear KTR Bootmat
Sabelt Renaultsport steering wheel
Sabelt harnesses
Richbrook Slant Top Gearknob (as used on the swiss clio trophies)
Safety devices half roll cage
Tillett B1 racing seats

Suspension:
Cooksport springs
Camber bolts
KTR racing mounts

Engine:
PMS Motorsport A/C delete kit
RS tuner 98 ron remap
ITG filter
Scorpion full exhaust
Decat
Redtop 20 racing battery and custom mounts

Exterior:
Fibreglass bonnet
High vis mirrors

Removal of:
Stereo
Speakers
Rear Seats
Soundproofing / all internal 'tar'
Passenger/driver airbags
Interior carpets (replaced with special extremely lightweight material)
Seatbelts and all assemblys
Air conditioning
Standard battery
Standard bonnet

Pics:
8sJ0r3n.jpg

LR6R5CO.jpg

TAm2cqM.jpg

8PP1bkN.jpg

StTaDD6.jpg

NiRMF5I.jpg

well, the problem was that it's near impossible to remove the existing gearknob!
I had to hacksaw it apart to get the b*****d thing off!
but it was easy to fit once it'd been removed :smile:
Worth it then? Is it bonded on? You aren't giving much away!

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
Worth it then? Is it bonded on? You aren't giving much away!
They might be bonded but think it's just a very tight fight and the shaft is knurled. When doing mine I had the gearshift assembly out on bench with gland/waterpump pliers on it, stillson, strap wrenches and I gave up as I felt like I was going to bend something. Resorted like Will to a hacksaw in end too. Fitted mine onto a spare assembly so still have original, would be best option if you're wanting to keep original.