ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trophy Vs 172 Cup

slight exageration there Weeman, but they are one of if not THE best handling hot hatch series. For a FWD drive car there are not many that can keep up with them on the twisty stuff, you only have to look at some of the non RS day footage trackdays to see this, but then there will be the old counter arguement of "well he wasn't trying", "was taking the scenic route", "doesn't even have a license" etc etc, but I assume people that go to trackdays for the 'most' part are there to drive to their car and their own personal limits. The Clio's are just easy to explore those and cover ground quickly... or at least seem to be, then someone who can really drive takes you out and you see the further limits they can be pushed (like 2 live and Yozza driving my old Williams) and it's scary what you can actually do in them.

And agree, Evo are Reno's marketing department

Clio 172 mk2
TheJesus said:
Being passed by loads at the ring doesn't really mean much though does it, unless you know what mods they are running (as most are NOT standard) and driver experience and ability then it means very little. I'm talking about taking one out on your own and giving it a good thrashing. I've driven a fair few classics thanks to a few of my close mates being BIG Scooby fans and they will tell you the same and this is from stock to Pro Drive modified ones. They dont handle well, they just have loads of grip and once it goes you're f**ked.

As for getting a Golf round a corner as quick as a Clio? That's one of the funniest things I've heard all week, comic genius! :p

Totally agree on the Subaru

I found mine very easy to drive quickly but never really pushed it to it's limits.

172, Tiguan
TheJesus said:
Jon, he was getting mid to low 9's iirc, but only did 5 laps and it was his first time. Not bad at all really, I'll be happy as long as I get under 10 I think! lol

His first lap he said was 17 mins, as he spent it with the indicator on pulled over sh*tting bricks lol. Can't say I blame him, but if you dont know the track I can see it being more than just slightly intimidating... thank god for PGR3! lol

Nope thats not bad at all really after that many laps. :)

Clio 172 mk2
ian 182 said:
Is this going anywhere fast
BeatDeadHorse-1.gif

lol

That animation still makes me chuckle

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Got boredwith first page..

Lots of little boys talking utter balls.

Crazy idea why not test drive both instead of presuming and then decde for yourself. ultimately comes down to personal preference.

What has happened to this forum?

Neil G - which Impreza did you have? One of my mates only buys the classic shape, another has a 2001 shape one and another mate of mine just got rid of his 2006 model WRX. I found the classic to be the rawest most fun to drive and the best handling one, but both of them had the aftermarket Bilstein setup from Pro Drive on them and you can cover ground very quickly with zero effort... but they really do start to get hairy when pushed. The newer ones are even easier to drive, but understeer was just monumental on them, so I found it best to coast into the bends slower and just floor it mid way through as they just grip forever... very odd drive I must say, I'm too used to FWD cars!

Jon R - I thought so too, obviously the car can go much quicker, but for 5 laps that's damn good, especially if you dont know the track and it's not something you can learn in 5 laps really lol. What sort of time do you get and what spec is your car?

wrx-172 said:
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Got boredwith first page..

Lots of little boys talking utter balls.

Crazy idea why not test drive both instead of presuming and then decde for yourself. ultimately comes down to personal preference.

What has happened to this forum?

here's another crazy idea, how about a game of f**k off. I'll let you go first :clown:

130i, 306 hdi, vrs
I thought this topic was about Trophy vs Cup , not about slow lardy golfs and chavy scoobys. (runs and hides! )

clio 172, mini, 306td
the 172 cup had such a gud reputation before the release of the trophy, do you guys really think renault are going to spend millions developing a new car (trophy) and make it worse, i dont think so!

some really good times there Jon! I'm looking at going next summer and trying to persuade my mate to come along... he's got a 580bhp Porka GT2... it's one of the most impressive things I've ever seen lol

how standard is standard by the way, just zorst, decat and filter? ;)

good effort there Jon! I dont think this 172 even with coilovers would do it that quick, even with almost 220bhp... the handlings not as good as I expected. Corners nice and flat, but has that twitchy rear end!

We could do with getting you to go round in a std Trophy to see how they compare mate

TheJesus said:
I take it you have both never even driven one then? (and I dont mean sat in one and revved the engine to make the DV chatter :rolleyes: )

I love people that put it up on some pedestal because they have a subscription to Max Power and read the 0-60 stats lol. Try driving one, the handling on them isn't that great, they understeer like f**k and have too much mechanical grip. You cant throw them into corners that fast, as people seem to think, but hey, if understeer is a sign of good handling to you guys then so be it :clown:
An Evo on the other hand is a different story, nimble and neutral in the corners, how any well setup car should be.

hmm wouldnt say they all handled s**t.... standard from the factory spec c ra did a 7:59lap......dont see any clios getting close to that .

172, Tiguan
TheJesus said:
good effort there Jon! I dont think this 172 even with coilovers would do it that quick, even with almost 220bhp... the handlings not as good as I expected. Corners nice and flat, but has that twitchy rear end!

We could do with getting you to go round in a std Trophy to see how they compare mate
Hmm maybe in 2 weeks then, however its not mine so I wouldn't push as hard as I would in mine! Someone buy me one! ;)

I'd expect 8:30 with an experienced Ring driver out of yours if it was setup properly then mate! Sounds quick!

bloody hell... that's one hell of a time really... WAY out of my league!!!

it's on FK Silverline's at the moment, but I need to adjust them and un-lower it a bit and make it not as crashy and stiffly sprung. Are they considered good coilovers or should I look at replacing them???

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
not sure if some people are dilusional but you've got to be kidding. I've changed from a 172 cup to a trophy and i can say with honesty that in out right speed there nothing in it. but for driving pleasure and handling the Trophy is in a different class.

I refer of course to standard set-ups before more people start going on about if I spent £1500 on suspension It'd be as good or better - it's bound to be !!! that's what Renault did fools!!!