ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trophy or Not to Trophy that is the question

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
30 percent better? Nothing in engineering or science is described as 'better'. Its purely subjective word and therefore unquantifiable. When you read things like this you should dismiss it as marketing folly.
Marketing folly in Autocar? It's a review, not a sales brochure lol.
TBF you couldn't tell the difference between a 182 and a Trophy, ergo I'm not sure you should comment ;).

Megane R26, R21 Turbo
As for a damper refurb every 20k thats untrue :rolleyes: A trophy will prob need one damper refurb in its lifetime thats even if they need doing, a friend of mine has a 182 with cup packs,the xenons compared to the trophy headlamps are not even as bright :S i dont get the fascination with them or why anyone would buy a car based on what headlights it has or hasnt got... though the trophy can be hard ride for everyday use for some people and if its for your other half the 182 is probably a better choice, as its softer compared why not let her drive both and make up her own mind as its for her though if she does choose a trophy i would dare say it would eventually become your car rather than hers ;)

Last edited:
now this is getting difficult, we have looked around a Trophy and i have been for a test drive, although the 1 i tested had done 45k , the feel and road presents feel great for such a small car, handling very responsive and the full factor is stunning, i just need to find a nice low mileage 1 now :)
Stu

Tav

Clio 197
Hmm, id have said 182. If its mostly for the missus to drive id asusme the small differences in handling would go unnoticed by her.

She'll miss out on leather, climate, xenons etc, and spend a lot more money getting it.

Id go 182 unless you plan on doing some serious b-road blasting.

^^^ likewise. You buy a trophy because you want the £2-3000 worth of dampers that are fitted. If you are commuting and using the car for day-to-day nipping about then there isn't really any point in paying the extra monies to buy the Trophy and to service the suspension.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
so whats the score with a 182 that has the cup packs?
Not as good to drive, but still very good if that makes sense. More expensive bits to go wrong (xenon's, climate, autowipers, non of which are very good!). Poorer seats and driving position. Obviously more colour choice.
Have you registered on cliotrophy? The often have cars up for sale.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Having own them all, I'd rather have a late 172 (with cruise) than a 182. Would have a Trophy over them all though!

Tav

Clio 197
Best all rounder/daily - 182 w/ Cup Packs i.e Full Fat

Best to drive/most special - Trophy (£4k worth of wheels, suspension dampers and seats help!)

Best focused drive without £8k+ - 182 Cup

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
But i guess this all based on how you want to drive the car..
I've had both. There's a big difference between a Trophy and a 182. There's a small difference between a 172 and a 182. I'd have my 172's, and my Trophy again. I wouldn't have my 182 over a 172.

120d M Sport
I've had both. There's a big difference between a Trophy and a 182. There's a small difference between a 172 and a 182. I'd have my 172's, and my Trophy again. I wouldn't have my 182 over a 172.

Why's that may I ask Warren - purely out of interest?

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Check your info mate. Thats just hear say. Mines on 31k and the dampers are fine. Yes they are prone to wear on normal roads but thats the compramise that comes with the suspension

+1 ^^

Once you have driven a 182 then drive a trophy you will never want to get back in the 182- its as simple as that-

I just sold a trophy as well-:eek:

Steve