ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tripod Advice?

I bought my self a DSLR not so long ago and am just finding my feet with it, how ever am finding that I keep coming out with blur pictures, so was thinking of getting a tripod, any one got any advice on them? just looking for a cheap first one? thanks.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I've got a dirt cheap one (£25 jobbie inc case). It blows about in the wind.

Are more expensive ones more stable? I dont know. Would I buy cheap again? No.

Last edited:
  Cupra
Just make sure that the head and legs are strong enough to support the camera body and whatever lens you are sticking on it. The sales blurb always states how many kgs they can hold. The big heavy ones normally allow you to press the shutter button and still get a motion free image. The lighter ones will probably require a remote shutter cable or for you to use the timer function on the camera.

You can also do a lot within the camera settings themselves to raise the shutter speed to help eliminate blur from camera shake. I only use the tripod as a last resort, or when the camera has to be locked in a certain position.

Post up a couple of examples and we may be able to give you some tips. Normally, you can get away with using a higher ISO instead.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I got one from ebay - about a tenner new - posted. Its pretty flimsy but does the trick if its not too windy. I use a remote shutter as i wouldn't trust it not to move on a normal shutter release. I think i'm going to get a more substanstial one though after xmas as its not my main priority.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I also got a Hama Star one a month or three back. Was about £12, is about 6ft tall and has a hook for adding mass if necessary.

Does the job just fine !!

Really cant see the need to spend £100's on one unless you're taking things veeeeeery seriously. Spend money on lenses. Also, as per the duck .. post up a pic or two and ensure the exif/meta data is still on there so we can see what happened !

Budget?

My mate with a cheapo one watched his lens tumble glass first into gravel! Don't spend thousands of pounds on gear and put it on a £10 tripod. I spent £55 on a Velbon Sherpa 250r, does a good job. Looked at some £200 options and you are getting a little more stability and flexibility, get closer to the floor etc. The Velbon does the job though and can hold a 40d, flash and 70-200 nicely.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
If you're looking at sticking with your photography, a good tripod is worth the investment. As the cheap ones will become useless when you upgrade to bigger bodies and lenses, you need something that will take the weight.

I got a Manfrotto 190XPROB and the 808RC4 standard 3-way head about a year ago, this combo will take upto about 8kg and is more than enough for most circumstances, cost about £160 i think.

2nd the Manfrotto 190XPROB vote. Cracking tripod. Versatile too.

Costly compared to your flimsy ebay specials but it's nothing compared to the likes of your Gitzo carbon fibre jobbies.

Got mine with a decent ballhead and a couple of extra plates (for ease of use) for about £180. If you're at all serious about photography it's worth spending the money IMO. Little point in spendinga few quid on a cheapo one and then quickly finding you're gonna need to spend more to replace it.

Oh and lastly, don't forget to pick up a remote! Like wot I did. Not much point in using a tripod if you're holding the camera and using the timer all the time gets tiresome. In this case a cheapo ebay special does just fine. Mine cost about £2.