ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Triple scooby near miss at the 'Ring

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
The more I see of the ring, the more I realise I never want to go there,
it just looks f*cking lethal, even if you drive perfectly
there's always someone belting up behind you twice as fast.

I know sh*t can happen on any track day, but the speeds at the ring are just so much higher.

BG Clio 182 FF
Which is why "the ring" scares me senseless - seems like there's a complete miss-match of experience, talent and speeds out there on the "open" days.

f**king minibuses, old people in Citroen c3's, 70's classics all driving alongside nutters in BMW's and Porsche's (and those lads in the scooby's) that are giving it "death or glory".

BG Clio 182 FF

I know sh*t can happen on any track day, but the speeds at the ring are just so much higher.

I agree with this. But I will go one day - but it will be as a tourist. Driving at 6/10ths and looking more in my rear view mirrror than the road ahead.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Bloody hell, that was a close one, and on a very fast part of the track too!

Never make the assumption that you will definately be coming home with your car from a ring trip, its a genuine risk you wont, and I would say more likely to happen than at any UK track.

I am still really looking forward to our trip over there next Thursday though :)

Id sooner keep having awesome holidays there and crash every decade or so, than to not go at all.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I agree with this. But I will go one day - but it will be as a tourist. Driving at 6/10ths and looking more in my rear view mirrror than the road ahead.

You will feel MORE at risk like that than if you have a decent pace I reckon.

9/10ths is the key, not 6 IMHO

Bang around in about 9:30-10:00 mins and you arent constantly getting overtaken or doing overtaking, go out and put in 15 mins laps and you are far more likely to get tangled up in something.

Must admit, I enjoyed my visit to the Nurburgring immensely, but only did it as a tourist with no care about lap times.
It was fun enough being on track and having 911s/Ferraris/crazy locals flying past at high speed without trying to be a hero tbh.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator

Unfortunately it's just part and parcel of getting to know the circuit and being faster on every lap from experience gained. I'm touching 135+ in certain places in my cup and the cornering speeds are up in 3 figures at plenty of places.

A lasting memory for me of the 'ring was coming through a section called Bergwerk (where nikki lauda crashed) at about 120, pitching into a blind late apex only to be confronted with a bus full of school kids on the exit!!!! The kids were all smiling and waving out the back window at me!!

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Any explanation as to why the BMW slowed to quickly?

I know theres a marshall waving yellow a bit down the road but to slam the anchors on like that is unnecessary?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Any explanation as to why the BMW slowed to quickly?

I know theres a marshall waving yellow a bit down the road but to slam the anchors on like that is unnecessary?

Just making sure he stopped in plenty of time I guess, its not upto him to look behind himself really, if you see yellow you do tend to panic brake a bit as you are doing such massive speeds and you dont know what you are about to come up to, so too slow feels better than too fast at that point!

The second dudes bonnet scoop is awesome!

I'd quite like to go, but seeing vids like this make me think twice about it.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
I know its the ring so its free for all but on all UK trackdays I've done you're told in the safety briefing to slow down maybe 35% when you see yellows/trouble and not to slam the anchors on as you'll end up in the same scenario as these Scoobs.

Ocrlew

ClioSport Club Member
bloody close, in the second video, just as that car span look at the blue car avoiding the old car and then just missed the red scooby!! maybe they should have different times of the day to let novices on the track and serious racers on at different points!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I know its the ring so its free for all but on all UK trackdays I've done you're told in the safety briefing to slow down maybe 35% when you see yellows/trouble and not to slam the anchors on as you'll end up in the same scenario as these Scoobs.

At a UK track you are likely to see the flags or lights 2 or 3 corners before the incident, at the ring you will see them ON the corner with the incident normally, or sometimes not at all if no one has got out yet to raise the alarm.

Its really different mate.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member

This. Same with track days really. Always got heroes going for the lap record mixed with the occasional person who has no idea, with one ultimate result.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
This. Same with track days really. Always got heroes going for the lap record mixed with the occasional person who has no idea, with one ultimate result.

You get a bit of that on certain days, but Ive found the vast majority of people to be fine, especially if you avoid the "chavfest" days like the action days at combe or trax etc.
Although those days ARE the most fun it has to be said, just dont do track time at them in a car you care a lot about!

Mental, when i was there i didn't manage 1 lap without seeing something crashed somewhere (was at easter though so was busy)

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Brown stains were left behind that day lol! The scooby that spun probably thought game over.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
When would be the best time to go for a ring virgin? I take it the summer months will be busy.

Daft as it sounds, any time that its raining!
lesley is still not very confident there yet, so she prefers it in the wet because then people are a lot slower, they are less likely to be trying to set some sort of personal best and the track is practically empty.

I found the track very overwhelming, very long and hard to remember whats going on, as Chip has said the blind crest's drive you insane because even if you remember whats over the hill you still doubt yourself

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
I want another Impreza.
Cant be arsed to argue with any of you plebs but if that was any of your driving god cars, that WOULD have been a lot worse! :eek:

I found the track very overwhelming, very long and hard to remember whats going on, as Chip has said the blind crest's drive you insane because even if you remember whats over the hill you still doubt yourself

Exactly my feelings.

Great fun, but I had one hell of a headache afterwards.