ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tracking and other questions...

Mk2 Ph1, 1.6 16v Clio

Hi,

Excuse me for being thick. I have a couple of problems.

1> After fitting my new 17" wheels, I have noticed a slight clunk when setting off from a standing start, somewhere near the front off-side wheel. I had to fit the wheels myself and they provided spigot rings with them but they are green plastic ones and not sure if there supposed to - but they dont fit completely inside the alloys central hub-thingy. I put them on anyway and drove it and it seems okay except for the slight clunk on the offside when I set off. Also I havent tracked them yet. Any ideas on this?With what is happening to my CV boot (read problem 2), I thought maybe the extra load from my old alloys and now the new heavier ones may have caused the CV Joint to go?

2> On wednesday morning i am booked in to a local garage for them to take a look at the near-side front cv-boot as previously they said the seal had broken (but not a tear in the cv boot itself) so they just replaced the seal. When I took my old alloys off they were caked in grease from the CV Boot , so i took it to them and they said theres still no problem with the CV Boot and the grease will have been from last time before they replaced the seal. Anyway, I fit my new alloys on and check it the next day - and theres not a lot, but there is some more CV Boot grease on the inside of the alloy. Do you think that the CV boot IS fooked or is it just residual grease from before which is getting sprayed onto the inner rim when im moving?

3> If I get the wheels tracked tomorrow, and then on wednesday the garage has to take my wheels off for some repair or something - would i have to get the wheels re-tracked? Or does the tracking stay even if the wheels are removed and put back on again? Sorry if this sounds daft but as u can tell, im no mechanic - i just drive the damn things!

Any help u can give would be very appreciated!

Daz

[Edited by daz_uk on 04 April 2005 at 2:42pm]

[Edited by daz_uk on 04 April 2005 at 2:43pm]

Renault Laguna Coupe

3. Taking off the wheels and re-fitting them wont affect the tracking. If I were you I wouldnt get it done yet - youll need it doing once youve fitted those lowering springs!

Your clunk will be something else. Are you sure the wheels on ok?

Mk2 Ph1, 1.6 16v Clio

I dunno mate! When i got it tracked I was gonna get them to check all the wheels were on ok. Im sure I put them on alright - like I say, its just the spacers that have thrown me a bit... My old alloys had steel spigot rings which fit perfect to the area near the brake disc, and fit flush into the inner hole of the alloy. But these ones fit the area near the brake disc ok but dont fit flush inside the actual alloys hole. Bit of a pain. But Ive been going round the car checking the nuts on every wheel periodically in case they have loosened etc and they are always rock solid. Im worried that this extra strain from having 15" alloys on and now the new 17" ones has made my Cv Joints fooked.

Thx for advice on tracking. I may wait now though it makes me nervous when things arent right and strange sounds etc so I wont enjoy driving it until its all done.... Cant wait till its lowered and mechanically sound too.

Ive decided im gonna lower it 40mm. Im hoping with et38 Ill be ok on my model. i was tempted to go 60mm but I have sh*t loads of speed bumps to go over at work and dont wanna have the extra hassle - plus i dont want any scrubbage (even though i listened to ur argument about how often it will affect me - not much).

Thx Mike.