ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tracker box for car

Clio 1,2 16V
At the moment im not earning enough at work to pay fully comp insurance with out a tracker box is having one of these a good idea and does anyone now how they work only for the first year ?

At the moment im not earning enough at work to pay fully comp insurance with out a tracker box is having one of these a good idea and does anyone now how they work only for the first year ?

I've got one, wired it up to a switch (easy to do) my insurance is now 500 a year :)

I just removed the fuses, purchased a small 20 pence sized switch, and wired the positive wire from the black box to this switch. Then replaced the fuses easy as that :)

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
Wouldn't your insurance company be aware every time you turn the box off due to not receiving a location?

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
Wouldn't your insurance company be aware every time you turn the box off due to not receiving a location?

They wouldnt know the location if the car was turned off ? They would only know the last location ?

So in the eyes of the insurance, the car is not turned on or moving.

I'd laugh if you turn it on and its jumped 100 miles accross the UK, or you forget to turn it on and you have a crash! Mega lolz.

you could just claim it was a dodgy box or not installed properly i dont think any one could prove otherwise, obviously you would take the switch out

So when you have rolled it and had to be cut out the car you are just going to say "hold on I just want to take a switch out"
The level of idiocy in here is unbelievable.

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
you could just claim it was a dodgy box or not installed properly i dont think any one could prove otherwise, obviously you would take the switch out

You boost our premiums.

If youve opted to get a tracker in your car, thats your problem. Dont by pass the system because someone always come off worse.

Clio 1,2 16V
might reconsider the switch cos ive looked at prices because the learners insurance company im with is a sister company to the one that im going to get a tracker with and they said that my insurance will be a bit cheaper than an original quote so im happy with it being as cheap as i can get it and speed it everything just means ive got more money to make my clio look better

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
might reconsider the switch cos ive looked at prices because the learners insurance company im with is a sister company to the one that im going to get a tracker with and they said that my insurance will be a bit cheaper than an original quote so im happy with it being as cheap as i can get it and speed it everything just means ive got more money to make my clio look better

If nothing anyone has wrote in this thread has made you change your mind, then go a head.

Not being a c*nt, but i hope you get caught out.

C1 VTR (Company Car)
Might have to give it a miss by the sounds of things

Mate, I have a tracker fitted for my insurance. And I'm not going to lie, it sucks massive ass.. It's so freaking boring tootling around...

BUT. If it's got to be done it's got to be done, I want to drive now and the fact of the matter is I can't afford insurance without one. So im 100% willing to put up with it for a year for the sake of building up a 1 year NCB and then being able to afford proper insurance.

:)

So when you have rolled it and had to be cut out the car you are just going to say "hold on I just want to take a switch out"
The level of idiocy in here is unbelievable.

I was talking about minor incidents, i should of clearly stated that!

Well if your going to roll a car (without said switch) im sure the box would tell the insurance that you were doing something pretty thick to get it upside down, to which i think they would question paying out ?

No need to be a dick.

You boost our premiums.

If youve opted to get a tracker in your car, thats your problem. Dont by pass the system because someone always come off worse.

I DON'T boost anyones premiums. If i was in that situation, i would of looked for insurance before i bought the car, which i did so i knew what i could afford. Which OP should of done and could of avoided the hassle of a tracker

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
I was talking about minor incidents, i should of clearly stated that!

Well if your going to roll a car (without said switch) im sure the box would tell the insurance that you were doing something pretty thick to get it upside down, to which i think they would question paying out ?

No need to be a dick.

I DON'T boost anyones premiums. If i was in that situation, i would of looked for insurance before i bought the car, which i did so i knew what i could afford. Which OP should of done and could of avoided the hassle of a tracker

Sorry, it wasnt you, it was more your comment of been for driving without insurance.

Sorry, it wasnt you, it was more your comment of been for driving without insurance.

Thats fair enough, i wouldn't personally do it ands it would be stupid to do so, but its potentially a loop hole which could be taken advantage off.

I have a couple of mates with these fitted, and they cant drive after 11pm, which to me could get very tiedious. So i can see why people would find away around the system

Ged

PD130 Peach
i looked into one... soon as it showed me a diagram of cornering g force increasing your premium.. i binned the idea... i live in long winding dale... sit at 50 down the dale for economy and you take some of the corners fairly quick... Box would go mental.. Or, certainly sir, you can pull of from this junction quickly to get into a gap in traffic, that will be 50 quid... only good if your going to be driving nicely in a town at non peak times...

Still if it gets people on the car ladder least there is the option

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
Thats fair enough, i wouldn't personally do it ands it would be stupid to do so, but its potentially a loop hole which could be taken advantage off.

I have a couple of mates with these fitted, and they cant drive after 11pm, which to me could get very tiedious. So i can see why people would find away around the system

There is no loop hole really.

Billybob comes and fits your blackbox and notes down your milage of 1,000, miles on your clock.

You crash and Billybob comes out and notes down your milage again. "Excuse me person whos just crashed, your speedo reads 6,000. You have done 5,000 miles but our blackbox only shows you have drove 2,500. Where have the other 2,500 came from ???".

They know what there doing. They can even check your ECU like Tony mentioned to see the correct milage.

Like you mentioned above Glenn. If you have to get this blackbox in your car, drive sensibly for a year. You can drive like lewis hamilton when you dont have it in.

Crispy.

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW G31 530D Msport
I seriously couldn't deal with one of these fitted. Not saying I speed or drive like a c**k but to be penalised for let's say accelerating quickly into a gap or out of trouble?! Braking hard to stop correctly at traffic lights? Ahh would do my head in!

Ah well, just something you have to live with i guess if insurance is a struggle.

It will probably help new drivers getter better experience and the feel for the roads, than killing it up and down the high streets and pulling the oversteer lever at any given opportunity,

Which plenty of the idiots round here do, who end up crashing and putting our premiums up.

Ged

PD130 Peach
I seriously couldn't deal with one of these fitted. Not saying I speed or drive like a c**k but to be penalised for let's say accelerating quickly into a gap or out of trouble?! Braking hard to stop correctly at traffic lights? Ahh would do my head in!

I know right, in some cases you would be almost running red lights so not to mess up your box readings.... false economy if it causes a crash haha

Crispy.

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW G31 530D Msport
Ah well, just something you have to live with i guess if insurance is a struggle.

It will probably help new drivers getter better experience and the feel for the roads, than killing it up and down the high streets and pulling the oversteer lever at any given opportunity,

Which plenty of the idiots round here do, who end up crashing and putting our premiums up.

I do agree with you and I think it will be an option for my missus once she passes. If money is tight and this box will charge you for how safe/unsafe you drive, you are going to try and get the best out of it.

A good example is when I first got my dCi, I drove it to try and get the best MPG but it involved so much work to keep it above 65ish. Now I drive normally and get around 58ish. No point really at all IMO.