ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trackday Trophy project

Clio 172 phase II
Hi guys, new here having just bought an '02 Clio 172 for the princely sum of £200......

It's not as bad as it sounds!!! Basically a friend owned it as a 3rd car, and 2 weeks before the road tax and insurance ran out a hit and run driver took out the drivers door, door mirror and side skirt. He wanted £400 but I said I did not want it as it would cost a few £££ to fix and needs a cambelt imminently. I was going to ask around a few mates when he said "£200, I need it off the road by tomorrow" so I snapped his hand off!! I got a correct colour blue door, mirror and side skirt from eBay £90 delivered (!) so now own a straight 172 for under £300!!!

I am a bit of a French hot hatch freak, and currently also own a standard white 2 door AX GT with 40k on the clock ( maybe the best 100% original one in the UK ) , a standard 205 1.6 Gti which I sprint and an MSA logbooked Peugeout 106 Rallye rally car ( awesome ) so I love a little Frenchie...

To be honest I had no idea what to do with it, so I am considering with another friend that I do hillclimbs, sprints and road rallies with to cut our circuit racing teeth and take part in the Trackday Trophy. Not bothered about winning it, just want to take part and get our families and friends involved for a few fun days out, and get some race experience. Going to research what we can / cant do to make it race ready but still road legal, and I will use it to entertain clients by taking them on trackdays etc as well as maybe using it for hillclimbs and Autotests / Autosolos.

Going to search the ClioSport archives and see what I can find!

Thanks, Lee

Clio 172 phase II
Thanks. These are not very good pics, there are better ones on my iPhone I will try and upload better ones of the AX. That was an even better deal than the 172.... I wanted to build a clubmans rally car, and heard of an AX GT for sale that had been sitting for a year. I bought it totally blind for £400, and all I was expecting was a solid shell to build into an AX Maxi rally car replica, wanted to do the wide arch thing with a Saxo VTS 150bhp motor. What I found when I collected it was not what I was expecting... :) From 1990 when new until 2007 it apparently lived in a private car collection, then some knob bought it...... He was going to basically wreck it on dirt tracks and fields like he had previously 14 other Citroen AX's with paying customers doing "dirt experience" days where they did a sort of rallycross day hooning with mates for a paying fee. Many got rolled. The guy himself luckily spotted it was too clean and tucked it away, but not before the engine ran lumpy. I took a chance and luckily some spoon had just put the cambelt on one tooth out for him , it runs 100% perfect now and has new belt, fully serviced and has a new MOT. It is probably the best most original one left ( I have seen a black one which was for a time optimistically offered for £8k.... but mine is just as good as that I reckon ) Owes me about £1k, but there are only 45 or so left taxed in use and very few are white 2 doors, so I am going to look after it not mess with it!! In the picture the wheels are painted a nasty white, I have had them refurbed correct black and silver now. Also just sold the 205 Cti, it was lovely and was my mums car, but ultimately the scuttle shake was too much for me. Sold it 4 months ago, it was tidy too.

Attachments

• iPhone October 14 125.JPG
    iPhone October 14 125.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 71
  • Las Vegas 2014 018.JPG
    Las Vegas 2014 018.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 55
  • iPhone Jan 14 038.JPG
    iPhone Jan 14 038.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 88
  • 205 Cti 444.JPG
    205 Cti 444.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 74
  Clio 172 phase II
I have got a few other cars, but just want to point out I am not a rich guy I am a gas engineer / plumber (!) , its just I have access to lots of storage at my mums place ( her husband has a business supplying cars for TV and movies ) and most of these I paid very little for out of pure luck ( the 205 Gti was £500 and the Cti £800 ) by literally stumbling on them for sale by people who did not want them. Right place right time.

The kit car below is called a Sylva Phoenix and runs a 150bhp Yamaha R1 bike engine, fully road legal ( driven it twice to Monte Carlo across the Alps... ) and weighs 440kgs..... Won my class at the Brighton Speed Trials in 2012, unfortunately the day the lady was killed taking part.

The mini is a '71 cooper S replica running a genuine 1380 Swiftune motor 120bhp, weighs 600kgs and I paid £1,500 for that one abandoned on a driveway 3 years ago. Spent £2,500 making it safe and new paint, but its a proper little weapon. Won the Brooklands Double Twelve in it in 2013.

I love my cars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• post-1-25970-055_7D_39974[1].jpg
    post-1-25970-055_7D_39974[1].jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 073_7d_29982[1].jpg
    073_7d_29982[1].jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
  Clio 172 phase II
Yes but I am really excited about the 172, if I end up flogging the VGC leather / alcantara interior and wheels it will cost me close to a good night down the pub, and I reckon £2k race ready is feasible?

Clio 172 phase II
Another bargain was the 106 rallye, drunken ebay for £2,500 with 16 assorted wheels and tyres for gravel, mud, tarmac etc, spare bumpers, headlights (6!) gearbox, group N exhaust, clutch cables etc. Basically everything you need to go rallying except the driver and co driver!! It's surprising what is out there if you are lucky to stumble across it. I will be selling the 205 Gti in the spring though, not really going to use it I fear.

Clio 172 phase II
With just a bucket and sponge over it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 41
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 62
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    861 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 53
  Clio 172 phase II
I have fitted the new door already, it is a perfect colour match to the roof! Unfortunately at some point the side must have been badly colour matched, and the front wing and rear wing, now debt and scuff free, are the wrong shade of blue.