ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track Tyres - Feedback and Recommendations

turbo 182
The ns2r's were a night mare to balance
Up on brand new wheels 3 out of 4 needed around 100g on 1 side, is this the general case for all track rubber? Or my brand new wheels are buckled lol?

Track 172 Cup
Anyone run the 888 with GGG on the rear and GG on the front? Seen some for sale but 2 are GGG and the other are GG. Assume soft go on the rear as less weigh less heat and wear and Medium go on the front? Just thinking about buying them but not sure with the mixed compounds.

Cheers.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
They are softer, suitable for sprints according to this. The sg being the softest. For some reason it's not letting me copy and paste.

Track 172 Cup
Just seen the new R888-R in demon tweeks (was testing my arse in some seats before I change my Cobra's) and asked the guy how much £118 each but only available in a few sizes at the minute that was for the 195/50/15 @ £118

Clio Cup
Been offered some Accillies 123s Track tyres for a super cheap price , wondering if anyone has had a set of am i going to be guinie pig ?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Never heard of them tbh. Initially reminded me of the film 'troy', not that's any help, lol

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I'm looking for a set of track tyres for my track session at CSS this year. Ideally I want to just drive down and back on them to save taking an extra set of wheels, so I want something that'll manage any unexpected rain on the journey there/back (obviously if the weekend is a washout I'll just go on my PS3’s).

Anyone got any recommendations? Been considering NS2-R's just for the price.

I'm not looking for the grippiest tyre going, I'm only out for a bit of fun after all, but a 2hr open pit started to scrub the sidewalls of my PS3s last time I was on track so for a full on half day session I would prefer to use a proper track tyre.

Clio Cup
Ive Run Maragonis Zeta Lineas and Avon ACB10s need a new set before the 20th so just making some decisions

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
RSR's sound like another good option then, cheers guys. Don't they have a few issues with sidewall wear though in the dry?

Ideally I'm really just after a decent dry tyre but just one that won't aquaplane everywhere if I hit a bit of rain on the roads lol.

RSR's sound like another good option then, cheers guys. Don't they have a few issues with sidewall wear though in the dry?

Ideally I'm really just after a decent dry tyre but just one that won't aquaplane everywhere if I hit a bit of rain on the roads lol.

yes the sidewalls are a bit soft. I run them at 28.5psi cold and on track they hold up a lot better. I ran my 1st set at 30psi hot after some 'advice' and ruined them :(

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Hmm, I'm only about -1.5 degrees as well...lol

Good to hear that the sidewall issues can be sorted with a bit of extra pressure though. They seem a decent tyre for being so cheap!

For the bin unfortunately, loads of tread across the tyre, shoulder is toast. Great tyres on track though but I don't hold back!
282FD506-F4FD-46EE-AD35-5704EEB3C644_zpsv9xtwefr.jpg

Not good! Was that due to low pressures or a lack of camber?

bit of both imo, but the track I go too has two long straights with tight right hand bends at the end, one a hairpin, known tyre and brake killer, other people on different tyres have similar problems so it may well be more track specific. NS-2Rs next time out so I'll find out. The 1st set @30psi hot actually put holes in the shoulder :( . The two rears are the original RS-Rs and have done 4 track days @ ~70 laps per day as well as an hour drive too/from the circuit and still look excellent, no uneven wear at all, in fact no obvious wear at all :) I still rate them for the money, I'm sure I'll have them again!

mk1 Octavia VRS
AD08Rs are also great all round tyres and come with 8mm tread new.

I'm running 2 and a bit degrees camber on the front and the outside shoulder of my front left is worn more than the rest, though my pro-kit springs are quite soft for track work so my car will have more body roll than stiff coilovers. I've had these AD08Rs on for over a year, done quite a few trackdays on them and they are not far off the markers now so I think the excess shoulder wear is acceptable. I'll probably swap the wheels front to rear soon so that the outside shoulder doesn't wear down too far.