ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track days / High revving

clio 182FF
Just a quick question here. Was basically wondering how the F4R engine lasts from being tracked or very spirited road driving ie often revving over 6k through most gears or that kind of thing.

Obviously any car will last longer and do better if it isnt used in this way but i ask as i would be concerned of doing a track day for the fact of engine damage as it doesnt seem natural to rev the car all the way out constantly for a few laps at a time all day.

Dont get me wrong i do rev my car but only when needed or for a gear or two and leave it for a while then; also often on the road once you are upto speed there is no need to rev it loads anyway i think!

So anyone know how the engines take the stick or in general how "safe" it is

Thanks

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Pretty sure they can cope with being bounced of the limiter all day long, it's just everything else on the car can't.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
If serviced well they are bulletproof.
I used to give my 172, 182trophy & 197 death on track & they loved it.
The 197 was happiest being thrashed ;)

As above, make sure the oil is up to temp and cool it down before you come in, in between those two points give it hell. They are pretty hardy little things.

clio 182FF
thanks all - i thought it was quite a strong little engine. Looking at getting it serviced within the next week and may have a look into trying a track day as it looks to be a great day out!

53 Clio's & counting
Standard rev limit it should be fine unless you get it really hot, if it has a raised limiter id not want to be holding it above 7000rpm for very long, for reliabilies sake - you may be lucky and it lasts fine, and blipping above 7000is fine, but id be wary of holding it above that for very long.

7000 rpm is all you need really, for a standard engine - the extra rpm is handy if you need that little bit more coming out of bends, but not the be all and end all

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I did four trackdays in my old ph1 and danh90 off here has just tracked it on the nurbergring. Like said if you service them well it will be fine

ado

ClioSport Club Member
  기아 &#4
It'll be fine as said. They've been tested much harder than you'll ever drive it.

I did nearly 3 years of 'track only' use with a stock F4R, using the cheapest 10w40 oil (£7 for 5L) I could find, changed every 6 months or so. Raised 7800rpm limiter and used all the way up there all the time. Never had an issue, made 172bhp/165lbft at TDF.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
My 172 Cup was similar to f0xy, from new to 130k miles, changed oil every 6k, gave it eleventy million trackdays/sprints, all with a 7,750 rpm raised rev limit.

Was still knocking out 180+ bhp when I finally sold it.

Sniff.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
the limiters there for that reason, it protects the engine under heavy use, bounce it all day and it'll be fine, provided the engines well serviced and you watch your temps as others have mentioned

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Obviously any car will last longer and do better if it isnt used in this way but i ask as i would be concerned of doing a track day for the fact of engine damage as it doesnt seem natural to rev the car all the way out constantly for a few laps at a time all day.

Seen as maximum power output is ~6500RPM, I'd say the engines were designed to do just that.. all day long.

The most load going through the 'box is actually max torque which is somewhere around 4kRPM IIRC.

People that pootle about in cars, driving like Miss Daisy have more problems than those who actually use all the revs and get/keep the engines warm and under load.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
I don't bounce mine off the limiter but she goes through the range when she's warm, I wouldn't even dream of booting it until I'd been driving a good 10-20 minutes.

they only seem happy or go well as a complete unit when being nailed. our 172 runs like crap if its driven slowly and low.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
As Said if well maintained and serviced and warmed up they are bullet proof clio cup cars run all std internals so that tells you all you need to know.

clio 182FF
I thought this may be the case, thanks for your input, reassuring to know that other engines have had a good thrashing and still go strong! Like others have said i agree that i would never rev it hard when cold for atleast 10 minutes; infact i cringe when i see people starting up a cold car and ragging it away, poor things!

Slightly off subject- the gearbox is known as a weaker point but im assuming this lasts for people doing track days as well? Any pointers such as careful on downshifts or anything similar? other than engine and gear box i would assume all other wear and tear is on consumables such as tyres and discs/pads.

Once again big thanks to all the answers, this forum really has some helpful people, hope you dont think im silly asking these type of questions, i just like to be fully informed on the things to be aware of to try and keep the car in a top condition while still enjoying it as much as possible.

Lotus Elise
Just a quick question here. Was basically wondering how the F4R engine lasts from being tracked or very spirited road driving ie often revving over 6k through most gears or that kind of thing.

Dont get me wrong i do rev my car but only when needed or for a gear or two and leave it for a while then; also often on the road once you are upto speed there is no need to rev it loads anyway i think!

So anyone know how the engines take the stick or in general how "safe" it is

Thanks

Most engines do the majority of their durability testing at maximum load so along as its serviced properly, warmed up and cooled properly it will last for ever.

BG182FF
I tracked my 182 at Fcs, was up between 6-7000rpm coming out of nearly every bend. From what you guys have said theres no doubt the engines would stick it fine, myself I've bought a cheap saxo vt to track. just incase something does want to explode, it'll be cheapo to replace ;)

I always worry when I'm revving the nuts of mine to nearly 8k but thankfully it has been fine so far and so was my 197 before and that took plenty of track abuse :)

320d
I just drive mine how I feel like it. Engines are generally reliable and they're also pretty cheap to replace if they let go. I'd be a lot more careful with my engine if they where very expensive to replace but they're not so its fine. Just service it, allow it to get some temperature before abusing it and enjoy it.

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
I've done 15 track days in my 172 and it's never let me down. I always make sure it's serviced before going and have never had to lift a spanner to it while at a trackday. It's done 126,000 miles now and still got plenty of power and life left in it. Always make sure the engine is warmed up before giving it full power and always do a cooling down lap to cool the brakes and engine down. Most important thing is to ensure the oil is to the correct level and that the tyres and brakes are in good condition before you arrive at the circuit.

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
Yes it's done that much mileage. I put 40,000 on it in the last 4 years. It still looks really good. It needs the wheels refurbing and the front bumper is all chipped and losing its clear top coat lacquer thanks to Lookers blasting it off with their jet wash when they had it to replace the bonnet catch. They also took the green cotton air filter element out of the airbox and swapped it for a standard one without telling me. f**king t***s.