ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track Clio

Titanium 182
Within the next month or so i've decided id like to make my clio a track car, as tax will be up and insurance shortly after and I could use something a bit friendlier to drive just for work and round an a bout.

Only problem is, I'm not really sure where would be the best place to start.

Currently running a clio 182 with pms manifold back exhaust (with cat, will probably decat for track), have -40mm apex springs on at the moment but have gaz gha's being refurbished, ktec panel filter, NS2R's on 182 wheels, but have turini's ready to be refurbed. It achieved 187bhp on a rolling road back in april at RRS in bromley (Below).

https://video-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/h...=3cfebb38f8f5ee257d242f0a85d5d1c5&oe=55A6A024

I'm going to get some track tuition and I'm not going to rush on building it so to speak, as by the time i'd imagine i'd have it in a track ready condition, weather will probably not be too friendly.

Basically i'd like some do's and don'ts and advice on whatever modifcations would make for a better track car

Any info appreciated, George

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Wouldn't worry about decating the exhaust tbh, I assume the pms is loud ish?

Do a day as you are and see how you get on. Just make sure the brakes, tyres and suspension is in good condition. What track are you thinking of?

Titanium 182
The three most local (Birmingham) as far as I know are Rockingham, Donington and Mallory park so any of them really.

Could you recommend any of those as a beginners?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Can't comment on those mate as I've only ever been to Oulton and Anglesey. Tbh if your a sensible driver any will be fine. I did Oulton as my first and that's not really a first timer

Titanium 182
I'll take some tuition first then, get comfortable and learn some do's and dont's, then as its the first one and I wont expect anything special ill probably just book the cheapest whenever it comes to doing it.

My clio's got some things that have been niggling me to get done anyway but just having the time to do it is the problem so ill try get them done first.

Ph2 172
You only 'need' good brake pads and fluid, and suspension that's in good nick.

If you don't use the car for anything else then you may as well strip it of all excess weight (costs £0)

Titanium 182
I'll have suspension sorted in a few weeks, there's a knocking on the right hand side of the car on full lock (Right) though and the turning circle seems really wide, haven't ever drove another 1*2 though so wouldn't know for sure if it or not.

As for now its my daily though so I wont be stripping it yet.

I'm quite happy to take my car on track as it is once that's sorted, I just wanted to know what can be done with the car and what suggestions people have for a better experience.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
You have a pretty sorted car already tbh. Tyres are good and so is the suspension. What brakes have you got

Titanium 182
Brakes are standard but have brembo's being delivered some point this week hopefully so will be getting a refresh.

But I might just come Saturday then. Would be good to get to know more

My clio is my "daily" and I've even removed the cd player and speakers lol

Removing weight has had a big effect at low revs. Im now driving around and pulling from the gear above that I used to. Not noticed the effect on braking much though which is odd.

I would say my next priority after my seat arrives is the suspension as its way too soft and vague feeling.