ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track car options - Clio 172 v 205 Gti

Renault Sport clio 172
Hi everyone,

I wanted to just get some peoples thoughts on this topic.

The idea
Have a nice little track car (not a money pit racing type) that I can do 4-5 track days a year in and have a bit of fun in on the country roads around where we live:).

Let me give you some history;

I have a 1991 205 Gti 1.9 sat in my garage. Fairly original (bit lowered etc nothig much), that has a slightly tired, standard lump in it.

My wife's current car is 2002 black gold 60k mile, Full service history etc, 172 (not cup) that she has owned for nearly 7 years.

My wife would like a new car in the new year (megane sport 250, golf gti type), and I am thinking that the Clio isn't really worth trading in to a main dealer.

The dilemma;
Do i sell the 205 and look to turn the wife's, low mileage, fairly reliable, more modern 172 into my toy

Or

Do I sell the 172 and spend the money on getting the 205 fitted with a GTI 6/MI16 engine and enjoy the old school type.......

Ladies and Gentlemen, I am stuck which route to take.......please could you offer some advice or thoughts..

Also if anyone can give me some hints on how to upload photos, I will post a pic of both cars if that helps?

Cheers

Dave

Renault Sport clio 172
That was my other thought.....do I sell them both and buy something like a cup that might of had a bit of money spent on the mods.

Only problem with that is we know the history of our current 172 so well.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
You want a fun, cheap car that will serve you well on track? that would be the clio that you have owned and know well then.

Renault Sport clio 172
You want a fun, cheap car that will serve you well on track? that would be the clio that you have owned and know well then.

That is what I thought originally and had a bit of plan in my head of what to do.....but then watched fifth gear the other day, and saw the Pug1off 205 Gti Vikki Butler-Henderson was running around a track in.

Granted, they charge £2k+ to put a "basically brand new" GTI6 lump in (then you've got to add better suspension and brakes etc), and from what I've seen their work is top notch.....but not sure if it is worth throwing that sort of money at a 22 year old Pug.

They are only under an hour away from me though.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Personally not. Why not spend money on the Clio to make it handle better etc. I'd go out on a limb and say a well sorted Clio would be more than a match for a 20 year old 205 with a gti-6 engine. I love the 205's and would love to get another but it would have to be sorted from the off.

Renault Sport clio 172
Here is some pics of the 2 "beasts"....

205v172.jpg

photo6.jpg

016.jpg

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Both look fab, can you keep both? I'd be gutted to get rid of the pug. The Clio IMO would make a better/easier to live with track car.

172 Rally Car
That 205 is lovely - really you have to decide which one you like the most its a toy at the end of the day.

Renault Sport clio 172
The plan for the Clio was going to be;

strip out the interior
Bucket seat
Rear cage
182 manifold
Matched inlets
Better discs and pads all round
15 inch wheels with sticky tyres
Set of coilovers
Decent exhaust
And maybe look at the espace air filter box with a better filter in it.

So all real standard sort of stuff, nothing to major or expensive but should result in a decent little track car.....

Plan for the Pug is;

GTI6 lump
Coilovers
Rear cage
Stripped interior
GTI6 brakes with better discs and pads all round

That was about it, as the few bits on the exterior I can live with as it will be a toy. Granted I did spend a few hours the other day machine polishing it up but I was bored.....

Think cost wise, the pug is going to be the expensive option.

Plus the pug won't have power steering, ABS, air bags etc but then that would make the track stuff more authentic i suppose.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Don't need ABS for track work tbh. The pug would probably be the more expensive route in my op.

Renault Sport clio 172
I'm swinging towards the Clio to be honest, due to ease of tuning and knowing the history.......

I think the pug is worth about £1k ish, so that is a fairly good amount of money to throw at the Clio to get me started. Should get a few bits off my list if I shop around and use eBay and here I think.

Renault Sport clio 172
Or do I sell them both and buy either a already done Clio or something similar?

What do you guys think the cars are roughly worth? :S

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
I've got both a 1.9 gti and Clio cup on my drive and as much as I love the 205's I would go for the Clio every time.

I could build a good spec track 205 with cage, diff, mods etc cheaper than building a caged, diffed Clio though.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Hassle though unless he's handy with tools. Depends how far you want to go, his list is pretty good for a fun day out.

tracked both , and being honest neither do it for me unless heavily modded ,

I'll stay a caterham man for a track car all day long , or a cheaper westfield will do it , for the price you would spend modding either of those .

1k for the 205... don't tempt me! if i was you i'd keep/return the 205 to original condition (a mint one will fetch up to 4k) either sell it or garage it and use the clio.

535d / t5 caravelle
Clio all the way, what's the point in putting a gti 6 lump in a 205 to only get the same performance as the Clio is now?

RB 182 195bhp
I'd say sell the 205, as it is you'll probably get decent money for it and be able to put that to good use. Turning it into a track car will take all the value out of it. Clio is a good base for a track car as parts are everywhere, pretty good performance and pretty reliable. I have a 172 cup with a few track focused mods I'll be selling in the next few weeks, if your interested drop me a pm.

Subaru Impreza P1
Clio would be best option...I`m sure your 205 would fetch more that 1k...it looks pretty well looked after and origanal sports cars do fetch good money...Its not far off a classic now.

Ph1 Clio V6, Ph2 172
Both are great cars but you'll have to spend on the Gti just to get it to the level a 1*2 is as standard. Certainly wouldn't bother with a 205 if its got anything less than 16 valves. However, everything is relative i suppose so youll have a laugh in either regardless of what you can keep up with around a track. I've got a soft spot for the 205 but I wouldn't say it the best trackway car between the two. Iconic yes but not the best.

Renault Sport clio 172
Thank you to everyone for their replies and comments but I think I am going to sell the Pug and track the Clio.

If anyone is interested in the Pug please PM me.

Cheers

Dave

Renault Sport clio 172
Thank you everyone for the comments and advice :cool:

I've not quite got enough posts on here yet to be able to add a topic in the cars for sale section, but I will get there soon.

Shame as it is just sat in the garage doing nothing.