ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track car Attempt 2

Fiesta ST Stage 3
So after Brands Hatch on Tuesday and on our first lap we had hesitation under load I disconnected all the O2 sensors and the car ran ok all be it running rich .

Yesterday I replaced all the x 3 O2 sensors with some new Denso units and tonight will give the MAF sensor a good clean change the spark plugs to see if this will fix the problem .

New Denso units

DN1aeaU1.jpg

CBYNMcXM.jpg

Old units

qVTWyh3r.jpg

wvKZdc8j.jpg

We are off to the Ring on Monday so if this does not work I will look to just run the car with them unplugged again as im out of time on this one .

I hope to get some better luck soon
smile.gif

Looking good as are the alignment specs. Bit of toe out on the front with what I presume max camber for better turn in and cornering speed and stability. Rears pushing near straight and true with neutral toe, I would prefer more rear camber but being RWD maybe this is why its dialled back slightly.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
After speaking to a few people about the set up the rear I will look to add some more camber and the camber bolts can go to - 1.75 I think .

The set up will be 100 x better than it was as it was a bit all over the place ( that is what I am saying caused my crash not driver error :) ) but will be more lively at the rear and super sharp at the front and that is not what I was after but it is a good base to start .

Looking good as are the alignment specs. Bit of toe out on the front with what I presume max camber for better turn in and cornering speed and stability. Rears pushing near straight and true with neutral toe, I would prefer more rear camber but being RWD maybe this is why its dialled back slightly.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
So last Monday we set off for the Nurburgring and wake up time was 2.30 AM so we could catch our ferry at 6.30 .

The car was playing up after Brands hatch so with no time to look in to the fault ( hesitation under load ) I thought this should be a falling O2 sensor so replaced all x 3 of them and new spark plugs as well and gave the MAF sensor a good clean .

Old and new spark plugs ( car was run with the O2 sensors disconnected so was running very rich )

sikY5GiC.jpg

The car was still playing up now and then but cleared after about 10 mins and was running well again .

Arrival at Dover with the two cars .

S5k7Ms39.jpg

Setting sale for France .

J6ZWQgLl.jpg

Quick stop off in Belgium for a rest and some food and the weather was 38 deg so dam hot .

o3gCbdUT.jpg

Nothing much other happened but we did have a play on the Autobahn but traffic was a bit much so then settled down for the last part of the journey .

Small vid of Lucy in the Mr2 following me in the Fiesta ST going up in to the mountains heading for our hotel in Adenau .

https://youtu.be/UyNbIdjOj6E

We arrived at our hotel ( we have stayed here for the last 3 years ) and dropped off our bags and went for a drink after a long journey .

aNTfhhO4.jpg

We had room 12 again and the view was amazing and overlooking the track .

zt5dO8TB.jpg

TFd2nJls.jpg

7lfU8GcG.jpg

TGDwyON9.jpg

Uh1lfEAT.jpg

We then did head up to the part of the track that is next to our hotel to watch some laps of that Monday night .

7BCnxGzh.jpg

zQuG0uuQ.jpg

BhXu96YL.jpg

https://youtu.be/nJwtqALHd3A

https://youtu.be/1etik6o4iLc

We then went for dinner at Pistenklause and a stake on a stone and a few Bitburgers .

NLiXFdNS.jpg

h0ucZO1Z.jpg

ajJ1TEyW.jpg

On Tuesday it was 37 deg so we had some breakfast and went for a coffee and a cake .

eMfJE5yv.jpg

We had some lunch and looked in a few shops then it was coming up to 5.00 PM so we did some checks on the car and set off .

With telling myself to drive with plenty of margin I set off on my first lap in the Mr2 at the ring .

For some reason the GP track was open and made part of the complete lap so this was amazing as I have never driven the GP track before .

The bracket for the Go pro was playing up so the noise and movement are not that great but at 13.44 an older Porsche 911 was holding me up so was pleasing to say I went past a 911 

Alan Vid 1

https://youtu.be/lm3sBaF3Hoo

Must have been going an ok pace as the tyres were nice and hot and sticky

MnXc6ISS.jpg

Then Lucy had a go

Lucy Vid 1

https://youtu.be/TPg64wT-2A0

Then it was off to Pinocchio for a large pizza and a beer .

RyVHRdIz.jpg

On Wednesday we again went for some lunch and had a look around and came across some type R units from the UK

YGTlYuFr.jpg

Then had a look round in the Nurburgring centre and went in the stands to have a look at the Porsche track day .

hNpX5Xxf.jpg

FjdfpoYy.jpg

7cK4jd7O.jpg

duZL8x3h.jpg

https://youtu.be/4vdS7RD_PZs

And some other random pics

I45KrpM4.jpg

7feVugum.jpg

rQCimR0W.jpg

ufkSEiAN.jpg

We then set off again for when the track was open at 5.15 PM and parked up

tH0kR6Ke.jpg

CHqf6hnH.jpg

AmaQDROm.jpg

s3acyCbC.jpg

For Wednesday we had booked a hot lap in the Jaguar race taxi that is a XJR 575 so not too far short of 600 BHP .

ocZCsiFv.jpg

4Uhrd5wY.jpg

This must be up there with one of the best things I have ever done and the speed and skill was breath taking .

I have driven a few laps over the past 4 years at the ring the speeds the guy could go in a big 4 door saloon was amazing and scary as well really left me speechless .

nXiTOLmg.jpg

There was also a very nice 720S in the car park

7OgdJhbz.jpg

After this it was time to go on track our self .

Alan Vid 2

https://youtu.be/y3tBsmroxvc

Lucy Vid 2

https://youtu.be/fARqopv9Pws

We then went out for dinner and there were more great cars parked around so a few pictures were needed .

95nNizR9.jpg

7dOLc36p.jpg

rr0nwZE4.jpg

Then for our last day Thursday the weather was a bit wet most of the day but we still made it out on track but taking things very easy .

Alan Vid 3

https://youtu.be/BryU8pJCW3k

Lucy Vid 3

https://youtu.be/CInOIcMqhso

We then went for dinner and a drink and managed to get some shots of the track .

FTC1hoJ7.jpg

XDaZZtvv.jpg

bHt4AE4w.jpg

Then after packing up the car a UK GT4 parked up .

oTca7mmU.jpg

AtD3vLev.jpg

And then leaving France

BJEvrNgG.jpg

It was an amazing trip and had a great time as we all ways do and will look to head back in 2020 as next year we will be looking at more UK track days .

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Looks a good trip. I do like that hotel. We rented a house this year and it wasn't as good to be honest, as we were out in the country.

I went out with Dale in the F-Type. He is a good bloke and can really pedal round there!

Fiesta ST Stage 3
Yeah I do love that hotel it is good on price as well .

Dale is amazing such skill and was one of the best things I have done .

Are you going back next year ?

Looks a good trip. I do like that hotel. We rented a house this year and it wasn't as good to be honest, as we were out in the country.

I went out with Dale in the F-Type. He is a good bloke and can really pedal round there!

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Yeah I do love that hotel it is good on price as well .

Dale is amazing such skill and was one of the best things I have done .

Are you going back next year ?

Not sure about next year yet. Usually go over Easter weekend, which is great, but would like to do the 24hr race at some point, and the Eifel Rally Festival, so might do one of those instead of the usual TF trip.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
Small update to the car in the form of the front was sitting a bit hi on the stock coilover right height and with there being no weight at the front I have dropped the front by 25mm that should help the front out as it was sitting with the nose up a tad .

Also had a bit of fun with some decals ( some to cover the small dent where I had a little off at Castle Combe ) to give the car a bit of colour and keep a list of the tracks we have done so far .

RLFEL5tM.jpg

MXIo8Jg4.jpg

8Q0ZYTDj.jpg

Acn5XZsZ.jpg

I am looking to maybe do Bedford Autodrome in September or book the car in to Rouge Motorsport for a 2ZZ conversion and then pack the car away early for the winter .

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Glad to see its all sorted! Will you be selling your 1zz? Mines burning oil pretty badly - is yours sound?

Fiesta ST Stage 3
The 1ZZ in my car is in perfect condition and after 3 track days has not used a drop of oil and that is the thing that is making me think about getting the 2ZZ as my 1ZZ is in great condition and has had a truck load of service history in its life and with it being a very late 2003 unit has the upgraded oil rings .

If I go for the 2ZZ then I will have a few bits that I will look to sell like a Toyo sports manifold , 100 cell sports cat , 1ZZ engine and light weight flywheel .

Regards

Glad to see its all sorted! Will you be selling your 1zz? Mines burning oil pretty badly - is yours sound?

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Give me a shout when/if that happens as I would be interested in that.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
Will do .

The conversion cost for the 2ZZ is not cheep but it is something that I would love to do to the MR2 and am talking to Rouge Motorsport about now .

Regards

Give me a shout when/if that happens as I would be interested in that.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
So after the Germany trip I was having a think on what track to do next as I was going to try and get one or two more in before the end of the year ( Bedford is one I want to do ) but after having a think about what I want to do to the car next I have taken the step to pack up shop for this year and instead book the car in with Rogue Motorsport on October to have the 2ZZ engine swap done along with some other bits like light weight flywheel , close ratio gear box from the Celica and LSD swap , forge oil pump gears and a PPE induction .

I will then look to pack the car away for the winter before coming back out next year to do a lot more track days ( I do want to do Spa as well )

Other bits I will look at over the winter will be Carbotech XP8 brake pads all round , Hard top roof , Light weight wheels and R888R tires .

Few pics of the car being stripped of 1ZZ parts to sell .

z3119YDj.jpg

YGqW6849.jpg

Bravo on the 2zz swap. Shame you didn't decide this a few months ago as I sold my Celica with an absolute peach of an engine and box for £500, would have been perfect for a donor car as you can even use the ECU.

Good luck with it ?

Fiesta ST Stage 3
I have been thinking about this on and off and was looking to do this myself but though I would get this done correctly .

£ 500 sounds like a great price as the donor Celica I have got for the swap is £ 1200 ( 72000 miles 2006 reg )

I still don't think im at that point with the car where more power is needed as I think my driving skill and experience is still fine with the 1ZZ in the car ( 140 BHP 125LB/FT 900 Kg 0-60 7.5 ish ) but it will be something I will want in the future so I thought now would be as good as time as any .

What did you think about the 2ZZ as an engine as I do miss my old H22A from my old Accord Type R and the EP3 Civic Type R I had .

Bravo on the 2zz swap. Shame you didn't decide this a few months ago as I sold my Celica with an absolute peach of an engine and box for £500, would have been perfect for a donor car as you can even use the ECU.

Good luck with it ?

Fiesta ST Stage 3
Just had a look through race tracker and found a few picks of us from the Nurburgring .

31242080908_7494885ce8_b.jpg
page_4999942-311884dcc69042748442f5911897563a 3 by Alan Kaveney, on Flickr

44395528094_ddeee902db_b.jpg
page_4995339-5a294bf4023a5e037365e81dc4892400 2 by Alan Kaveney, on Flickr

44395516994_e29cd2f4d5_b.jpg
page_4988436-0f6e15ac400628ba4d6e7517d2f86887 by Alan Kaveney, on Flickr

Rb 182
You guys look so happy to be there lol

Always enjoy your write ups, makes a change from all the 1*2 track day projects.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
That is utter focus and commitment on our faces or terror LOL

It is a bit different but such a good base car for track days and cheep to buy ( not so much if you start getting all the tuning bits )

You guys look so happy to be there lol

Always enjoy your write ups, makes a change from all the 1*2 track day projects.

What did you think about the 2ZZ as an engine as I do miss my old H22A from my old Accord Type R and the EP3 Civic Type R I had .

Mentioned this in a recent post. Best 4 banger I've driven and owned. Loved it, and the box to. Owned an ep3 and 182 as well and the 2ZZ was better.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
That is good to know as it is in for the engine swap in two weeks so will be good to have some fun with it as I do miss all my old Vtec units ( H22A and EP3 and B18 )

Mentioned this in a recent post. Best 4 banger I've driven and owned. Loved it, and the box to. Owned an ep3 and 182 as well and the 2ZZ was better.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
Update time

Just got back from dropping the car off ready for the engine swap and a few other bits at Rogue motorsport .

The old 1ZZ engine is coming out along with the old C63 gear box then having the LSD removed from the old C63 gear box to be used in the new C60 close ratio gear box .

The donna 2ZZ engine and gear box is from a Celica with 62K on it and has been inspected and new lift bolts installed and the rocker cover painted .

The oil pump gears have also been changed for stronger billet units and the flywheel has been changed for a lightweight competition clutch unit .

The final part will be the 4-2-1 custom manifold and 200 cell sports cat .

The new engine ready to go in .

45313434582_75e1c8e48e_k.jpg
IMG_20181016_102455 by Alan Kaveney, on Flickr

A few of the other cars at Rogue

44640079184_e7efa9ef64_k.jpg
IMG_20181016_102459 by Alan Kaveney, on Flickr

44640096814_7d03e85a38_k.jpg
IMG_20181016_102724 by Alan Kaveney, on Flickr

44449781885_7521f72942_k.jpg
IMG_20181016_102726 by Alan Kaveney, on Flickr

Fiesta ST Stage 3
Pick up will be next week and yes they are using the Celica ECU and all the other bits for the conversion not cheep but will be worth it .

This will be a totally different beast when you get it back. How long is the conversation taking? And are they using the Celica ecu?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
For the non Toyota owners, what's the difference between 1ZZ, and 2ZZ?

Lots! 2ZZ is meant to be a fantastic engine, full of goodies including variable lift (think VTEC). Most have had a hard life at this point so they tend to require a bit of love on their way out of the donor car unless you’re lucky/a chancer.

Pick up will be next week and yes they are using the Celica ECU and all the other bits for the conversion not cheep but will be worth it .

Genuinely hope it all goes smoothly for you fella. I’ve been in a few 2ZZ cars and they sound glorious.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
I hope it will all be fine as instead of doing it on the cheep or with an ok company I have gone the hole hog and gone with the expensive option along with changing a few bits on the engine like the oil pump but nothing is bombe proof .

TBH the stock 1zz 138 BHP unit was still not that bad and when I took it out last week felt really good if not that special and has been great on track but the extra power noise and revs of the 2ZZ will be much better for a car that will only be a track car .

I will let you know how we get on next week .

Lots! 2ZZ is meant to be a fantastic engine, full of goodies including variable lift (think VTEC). Most have had a hard life at this point so they tend to require a bit of love on their way out of the donor car unless you’re lucky/a chancer.

Genuinely hope it all goes smoothly for you fella. I’ve been in a few 2ZZ cars and they sound glorious.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
Big update time

I dropped the car off at Rogue motorsport to have an engine swap done so taking out the stock 1ZZ 138 BHP unit and putting in the 2ZZ 190 BHP engine .

For those that don’t know Toyota did two ZZ engines a 1ZZ that had 138 BHP and 125 LB/FT 7000K RPM and was more for economy but still a nice revving thing and then the 2ZZ with 190 BHP 135 LB/FT 8200 RPM
That was developed with Yamaha and is a copy of the Honda Vtec system and have the race style cams that come in at a given engine speed and was used in the T sport Celica , Corolla and Lotus Elise and Exige .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_ZZ_engine#2ZZ...

I was also having the close ratio C60 gearbox installed that has shorter gears and final drive and also having the LSD transferred from the stock gear box .

I also got the below bits done as well .

Billet oil pump gears ( the stock oil pump gears are a week point and can fail esp if the car is used on track a lot )

BMC carbon induction and MAF inlet pipe

Transfer of my baffled sump on to the new engine

Competition clutch lightweight flywheel 5.4 Kg

Rogue 4-1 exhaust manifold

Rogue 200 cell sports cat

Geo set up below
Front – 2.5 camber 0.5mm tow out overall
Rear – 2.5 camber 3.0mm tow in overall

Some pics of the engine

oZiMY1rc.jpg

wTP6wRMj.jpg

3S7vw0EB.jpg

Pic of the induction set up

SElY7ag1.jpg

6Dnus3sn.jpg

Pic of the manifold

IaPLm9xM.jpg

Pic of the 200 cell sports cat

wxiWrbOj.jpg

And the build sheets

vtvvdqV2.jpg

cObx6nQW.jpg

Impressions so far is that then engine is very different from the old 1ZZ even before the 6200 RPM lift change over it is quicker revving and the pickup is a step up from the 1ZZ unit .
At 6200 RPM when lift is engaged the car really picks up and feels much like some of my old Honda units that I have had in my Accord ( H22A ) and the Civic EP3 ( K20 ) and even with the enclosed induction the induction noise is very nice .

A few vids of some pulls but the GO pro was not locked in and the sound is a bit poor but you can get an idea .

https://youtu.be/KSV4ppWPDco

https://youtu.be/si_dKwb-AWg

The car will now be packed away ( bar a few more test drives ) for the winter and taken out again next year for a load of track days .

Attachments

• cObx6nQW.jpg
    cObx6nQW.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 253
  • vtvvdqV2.jpg
    vtvvdqV2.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 231
  • wxiWrbOj.jpg
    wxiWrbOj.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 222
  • IaPLm9xM.jpg
    IaPLm9xM.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 244
  • 6Dnus3sn.jpg
    6Dnus3sn.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 251
  • SElY7ag1.jpg
    SElY7ag1.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 242
  • 3S7vw0EB.jpg
    3S7vw0EB.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 227
  • wTP6wRMj.jpg
    wTP6wRMj.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 240
  • oZiMY1rc.jpg
    oZiMY1rc.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 234
Sounds good, I still miss my Celica 190 even though it only lasted 20 laps. It just had character my VRS doesn't, mostly from that busy engine I think.

I'd love one of these as a track car though. First dibs when the time comes (seriously) ?

Also see you've gone nice and safe with the rear toe. Once you get used to the car on track you can start to bring that out more and more to get it steering from the rear.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
I do really like the 2ZZ engine it is very much like the V-tec units I have had and feel like a special engine super sharp throttle and very rev hungry and tie this up in a 900 KG car it is very fun and dam quick .

Ok I will give you first dibs if I get rid of it but that will not be for a long time I think .

On the Geo set up I think this will be just about right for us to start with as we need to learn the car more and get more experience .

Sounds good, I still miss my Celica 190 even though it only lasted 20 laps. It just had character my VRS doesn't, mostly from that busy engine I think.

I'd love one of these as a track car though. First dibs when the time comes (seriously) ?

Also see you've gone nice and safe with the rear toe. Once you get used to the car on track you can start to bring that out more and more to get it steering from the rear.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
No as much as I like FWD and the Celica this is much more capable as a track car and throw in a low kerb weight ( now 900 KG ) and the sweet chassis and you have one fun track toy and still cheaper than an Elise even with all the bits done so far .

Ever wish you'd have bought the Celica and used that as a base instead?

Fiesta ST Stage 3
If anyone wants to know the cost of the conversion just PM me and I will be happy to let you know .

Regards