ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Towing track/race car

Toomer89

ClioSport Club Member
  ff 1eight2
Just wondered if anyone could shed some light on the trailer/towing situation, I've recently purchased a trailer to tow my track with, I'm just unsure on what vehicles are best to use for towing, as I've heard there are certain weight limits different cars can take? Any help much appreciated.

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
I tow my clio with my vectra cdti 150, 1600kg braked tow weight limit.
Used both a single and twin axle Brian James clubman trailers with no bother whatsoever.
Vectra is also my daily and average 48+ mpg too

Toomer89

ClioSport Club Member
  ff 1eight2
Used both a single and twin axle Brian James clubman trailers with no bother whatsoever.

Thanks for the info mate, will just have to make sure the vehicle I buy is capable of towing the weight first.

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
Parkers site is good for towing weights. Also, you should be able to find out the weight of your trailer from your manufacturers website.
Theres also the licence side of it aswell, depending when you passed your test you may need to sit an additional test to tow over 3500kg combined weight (tow car, trailer and car)

I use a mk3 SWB shogun which has an actual weight of 1990kg and a towing weight of 2800kg
My trailer weighs 500kg so that leaves me 2300kg of weight for carrying on the trailer ( Its plated for 2100kg so thats the max the trailer itself can take)
Just now, Im waiting to sit my test so Im limited to 3500kg so all I can do just now is :
2000kg shogun, 500kg trailer and leaves me 1000kg for the weight of csr on the trailer

Last edited:

Toomer89

ClioSport Club Member
  ff 1eight2
Parkers site is good for towing weights. Also, you should be able to find out the weight of your trailer from your manufacturers website.
Theres also the licence side of it aswell, depending when you passed your test you may need to sit an additional test to tow over 3500kg combined weight (tow car, trailer and car)

I use a mk3 SWB shogun which has an actual weight of 1990kg and a towing weight of 2800kg
My trailer weighs 500kg so that leaves me 2300kg of weight for carrying on the trailer ( Its plated for 2100kg so thats the max the trailer itself can take)
Just now, Im waiting to sit my test so Im limited to 3500kg so all I can do just now is :
2000kg shogun, 500kg trailer and leaves me 1000kg for the weight of csr on the trailer
Cheers il give that parkers a look, yh my licence is the same, im only aloud 3500kg combined wieght, was going to get my old man to tow it for me until I do my test.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Whats the score if I passed my test in 2007? Am u allowed to tow anything or do I need to sit a trailer test?

Licences held from 1 January 1997
If you passed your driving test after 1 January 1997 and have an ordinary category B (car) licence, you can:

• drive a vehicle up to 3.5 tonnes or 3,500kg MAM towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM
  • tow a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as the combined weight of the trailer and towing vehicle is no more than 3,500kg

Civic FN2 Track Car
Licences held from 1 January 1997
If you passed your driving test after 1 January 1997 and have an ordinary category B (car) licence, you can:

• drive a vehicle up to 3.5 tonnes or 3,500kg MAM towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM
  • tow a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as the combined weight of the trailer and towing vehicle is no more than 3,500kg

This is correct, but it's also slightly miss leading. The 3,500kg of MAM goes on the max towing weight of your tow vehicle eg 1800kg and the max towing weight of your trailer eg 2000kg. It doesn't matter if your train weight (car + trailer + race car) is less than 3,500kg it goes on the maximum your tow vehicle + trailer will allow you to tow.

Hope that makes some sense.

I assume you've got fairly light trailers then as 1600kg isn't much of a towing weight.

Personally, I've got a E46 330d which gives me an 1800kg Braked trailer weight. My trailer is 450kg. I do have to position my Clio at the back of the trailer to get the weight distribution right. Too far forwards and it looks like your average VW polo show car.

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Trailers are 400 for the twin and lighter for the single axle one.
I have put uprated springs on the back of the Vectra so it sits very level with either trailer.

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
I've got a ML270 which I was gunna use to take my towing test and tow my Clio with, but would I get away with not taking the test then? If I'm reading this right?

Also considered using a A frame as mines road legal.

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
I've got a ML270 which I was gunna use to take my towing test and tow my Clio with, but would I get away with not taking the test then? If I'm reading this right?

Also considered using a A frame as mines road legal.

A frames and towing dollies are still bit of a grey area too though, as standard A frame still needs to tow less than the unbraked maximum load for the tow vehicle. Think all towing dollies now need to be braked.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
A frames and towing dollies are still bit of a grey area too though, as standard A frame still needs to tow less than the unbraked maximum load for the tow vehicle. Think all towing dollies now need to be braked.
Not to mention that if the track car isn't taxed/insured/mot'd then none if the wheels are allowed to touch the Tarmac.